Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2015, 09:06 AM   #1

32DS Problems

Wife and I took delivery of a 32 DS a little over a month ago. We have 3 kids so the double bunk floorplan was perfect for us. The older one sleeps in the pull down bunk over the driver (which we leave down all the time).

We have put about 1000 miles on it in the last month which several overnight state park stays in Georgia and a 2 week stay in Florida.

For the most part I am very happy but wanted to share some issues anyone doing a walk through might want to look at better than I did.

1) The door latch was not installed properly and I had to remove a piece of plastic from it. A week after delivery we were getting trapped inside.

2) The bedroom slide door was not attached properly and has come unhinged several times. The wood piece at the bottom to keep it from swaying into the bedroom was nailed in with short nails and is now sitting on a shelf doing no good.

3) The dash AC didn't work on one trip which made for a miserable drive. It has since worked.

4) The overhead AC units are great. 18K BTU and I can run both on 30amps. The only issue is that we have started noticing water droplets coming down. I took it apart and tightened up the 4 bolts but it has not rained since to see if I made it better or worse.

5) The black tank flush 90 degree elbow connector was not right and was spraying water everywhere.

6) The auto leveler puts the coach way out of level and feels quite violent so I have gone to doing it manually which is easy enough.

7) The main door gas spring that holds it open has broken already with wind grabbing the door. The end piece is just cheap plastic and the threads on the spring just ripped out of it. I have ordered a stronger replacement.

8) I have had some strangeness with my fresh tank emptying itself but haven't been able to figure that out. I don't see any leaks but it's rained a lot so it's hard to tell.

9) The windshield seems to be missing weather stripping on half of the window at the top.

10) On may last drive it got cold so I turned up the heat on the dash AC and my window instantly went opaque and the defrost didn't help. At night that situation got very very scary very fast and I had to pull off the side of the road until we could get the window cleared up again. I just had to drive with the cold air on. Will use a defogger on the inside of the windshield before next trip.

Really none of that has been too bad and we have really enjoyed it. I have added a home security system to all outside compartments and the door, am working on the wifi range extender and router and would really like to get a washer/dryer combo unit in it as the next upgrade.

Hope that helps someone.
PublicChilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #2

How is the ride quality on 32ds? Does it drive smooth and track well with its better wheelbase to length ratio than the other fr's? Overall how is it to drive? Thanks!

Sounds like your issues are fairly typical for new fr that you can get worked out. Please update when you find out or get the issues fixed. I'm looking at finally pulling trigger on an fr this weekend. Dealer has 32ds and 28ds on lot and trying to decide which to get.
cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #3

Cabbage, I don't have much to compare to the drive quality but it hasn't been too bad for me. The first couple rides were a little hair raising but I've done enough miles along the interstate now that it isn't an issue.
PublicChilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #4
RJJ

My fresh tank has emptied itself overnight. I added a shut off, but one time I forgot to reopen it and the fresh tank had sucked in on itself a bit because of no ventilation. I opened the valve and quite a bit of pressure was released. No damage done, but lesson learned. I have recently added extra tubing to the overflow and created a loop higher than the fresh tank. This was suggested by someone on the Georgetown part of this forum. Will try it out tomorrow, probably the simplest solution if it works.

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:22 AM   #5

I made the same mistake by adding a shut off valve to prevent the fresh water tank from partially emptying while driving. I need to add an air gap higher than the tank. I also added a tube to fill the fresh water tank via gravity feed for when I'm dry camping and want to add water to the tank.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:16 AM   #6

Are you sure its 30 amp, 4kw gen that you have? I thought the 32DS came with the 5.5kw, 50 amp service.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:25 AM   #7

How do you add the gravity feed tube to your fresh water tank? Where did you put the tube to add water?
FR3 Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:06 AM   #8

I put a valve on the overflow tube going from the top of the water tank before it goes out onto the ground. Above that new valve, I installed a T connector in the overflow tube. The T portion connects to a new tube which I can raise above the level of the tank - similar to the gravity feed openings on other RVs. The problem is once you start filling it, the fresh water tank starts to bulge. The solution is to just do a little at a time. I'm going to try and install another fitting at the top of the tank's overflow to create an air gap to stop the tank bulging. I just read on another thread that one can use the anti-freeze input tube to do the same thing for dry camping filling of the fresh water tank. Going to try that method as it sounds a lot easier.