Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2021, 07:37 AM   #1

A good vehicle to tow

After debating on a car carrying trailer, we are looking for a inexpensive vehicle to tow behind our FR3 25DS. Any suggestions?
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:42 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
After debating on a car carrying trailer, we are looking for a inexpensive vehicle to tow behind our FR3 25DS. Any suggestions?
Standard or automatic transmission?
Car or SUV?
New or used?
What price range?
Just for towing or will it be your daily driver too?

Too many variables to offer suggestions, other than what people have chosen for themselves.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD
and if we ever need it, can be pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:53 AM   #3

Preferably a car, automatic transmission, used and the vehicle will be used primarily for towing. Thanks
Old 07-25-2021, 01:34 PM   #4

For cheap and easy to tow and also fun to zip around in is the Chevy Spark. Unfortunately manual tranny is the only towable option. I got it strictly for towing and absolutely love it.

Here's also a link to pictures and the video of the actual car getting the base plate install. Thanks eTrailer! Free labor if you allow them to use your car for the website. LOL

https://bit.ly/2WkYPCc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sparky (1).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	259785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sparky (2).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	259786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sparky (3).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	259787  
fuzzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzball View Post
For cheap and easy to tow and also fun to zip around in is the Chevy Spark. Unfortunately manual tranny is the only towable option. I got it strictly for towing and absolutely love it.

Here's also a link to pictures and the video of the actual car getting the base plate install. Thanks eTrailer! Free labor if you allow them to use your car for the website. LOL

https://bit.ly/2WkYPCc

Thanks so much I appreciate it.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Been towing a standard shift 2012 Mini Copper Coupe since I bought. MH does not even know it's back there. Have to check the camera often to make sure. LOL Weighs less than 3K
JimBath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:25 PM   #7

I may be going out on a limb here, but my experience says that the Honda CR-V is the number one toad. Unfortunately, 2014 is the last year that was towable. I bought mine last year for $15k with new tires, new battery and a $400 interior detail job that makes the inside look new. Also, it's one of the lightest midsized toads used today. The new technology in scroll transmissions is significantly narrowing the field. Last month's Motorhome magazine did a lengthy article with a list of toads. You may find it very informative.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:57 PM   #8
Back On The Go

Generally RVers recommend what they have themselves. I’m no different so: Jeep, Honda CRV and Ford C-Max Hybrid. The last 2 are only available used and to me the C-Max was the easiest of all.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:47 PM   #9

Toable

When I went shopping, I was looking for cheap, used and a manual tranny so I could tow 4-down without bother. Found a small toyota, a newer VW and a Kia Soul. Ended up with the Soul and couldn't be happier. Weight is fine for my Class C and price was right. Has now towed over 30,000 with no problems except my TPMS occasionally loose service with one of the tires!
Old 07-26-2021, 08:26 PM   #10

I'm using a 2018 Kia Forte 5 six speed manual as my toad. It's my daily driver when not on the road. Nothing other than putting it in neutral and releasing the parking brake is required, similar to the Soul above.

Brake Buddy is used for legality's sake.

John C
JOhn_R_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:37 AM   #11

Thanks for all the information. Lots of very helpful insight for a purchase of a new toad.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:10 AM   #12

Quote:
You may want to check out https://www.motorhome.com/category/dinghy-towing/ as well. If you have not.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeaz View Post
You may want to check out https://www.motorhome.com/category/dinghy-towing/ as well. If you have not.
Ditto! Those downloadable guides are a great resource. You can choose the year or years that you want to focus on and then look for something that works for your budget.

We've been towing a 2011 Honda CRV AWD automatic for about 8 years. It met our needs for being able to pack up the two of us, our two dogs, and coolers, clothing, etc. when we pick up our RV out of storage. It's also reasonably light.

There's only the need to pull one fuse when towing (to keep the battery for running down). Installing a dash-mounted fuse bypass switch made that a breeze. Plus, I was able to find how-to-videos for removing the front cowling for installing the baseplate that allows me to flat-tow.

-Cliff
2011 Honda CRV toad
RVwino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow