Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #1

AC not working

New FR3 30DS. 2 A/C units. Have used 3 times both with 50 Amp hookup and when driving with the generator. This past weekend was on 50 AMP, it was very warm, A/C worked great. Left the RV park to drive home, put on generator so we could use AC as kids and dog in the living area, and it turned on as normal but fans would not work, no cold air. Have tried to shut down a couple of times at home with generator and it all powers on but no fan or cold air. Thoughts?
Junogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:48 AM   #2
Site Team

I'm going to move this to the FR3 subforum and see if it gets some responses from fellow owners who may have encountered this.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junogirl View Post
New FR3 30DS. 2 A/C units. Have used 3 times both with 50 Amp hookup and when driving with the generator. This past weekend was on 50 AMP, it was very warm, A/C worked great. Left the RV park to drive home, put on generator so we could use AC as kids and dog in the living area, and it turned on as normal but fans would not work, no cold air. Have tried to shut down a couple of times at home with generator and it all powers on but no fan or cold air. Thoughts?
1st> to the Forum from Alaska!

2nd> You have two A/C units are both not working? What powers ON when you say 'it all powers on.' Does the microwave power on? Did you plug in to the generator after rolling up your 50a power cord? FR3s does not have a generator auto transfer switch. Have you checked all circuit breakers?
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #4

Thank you for your reply. Yes 2 A/C units and both don’t work. Yes, turned on generator and then powered on the a/c. Yes checked the circuit breakers on the panel in the bedroom. The A/C control panel inside the unit It all lights up when you power on, it allows you to choose cool, fan speed and change the temperature but then nothing works, no fan and no cool air.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. Yes 2 A/C units and both don’t work. Yes, turned on generator and then powered on the a/c. Yes checked the circuit breakers on the panel in the bedroom. The A/C control panel inside the unit It all lights up when you power on, it allows you to choose cool, fan speed and change the temperature but then nothing works, no fan and no cool air.
If you are still on warranty, you can call Coachnet.

Our thermostat is 12v & runs off the battery. That's why I asked if you had power to your microwave. Did you plug into the generator outlet in your electrical bay? After unplugging from the campground, you have to plug into the generator outlet to get power from the generator.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:03 PM   #6

simple: your GENERATOR breaker is tripped, on the generator itself.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #7

Thank you! My son just told me he didn’t plug the 50 amp cord back into the motorhome when he unhooked from campsite power.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:11 PM   #8

Our motorhome is not onsite at home but will test this weekend.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:20 PM   #9

and, that's exactly like and the same 'symptoms' of the generator breaker having tripped - you 'have' access to power, but you are not 'plugged in'!

12v items, like your Thermostat, lights, fans, etc... all work on 12v from your battery(s). It's easy to assume that because the thermostat is lighting up, and working, that something is wrong with your air conditioner, but they work off of 120v power from either shore power or the generator, only.

While you have a Main Panel with electrical 'breakers', you also have breaker(s) on the Generator itself, just like you have breaker(s) on the Shore Power. Anytime you have a power source, you are likely to have a breaker AT that source.

Once you have several miles and few months under your belt, you'll be an electrical engineer, like the rest of us! (whether you meant to, or not!)
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #10

Thank you.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Thank you.
I am glad you found it was something simple.

I love my FR3 28DS because I can park it in my driveway.

Have fun spending time with your family.