Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2016, 08:58 PM   #1

Accuslide slideout moving while driving

i sprayed the slide seals on all 4 sides on a new fr3 30ds. After doing so and drawing in the couch/kitchen table slide, while driving down the road the slide appears to be moving front of rv to back of rv when hitting big bumps. The cables all seem to be fine with proper tension, but i believe the rollers under the slideout got sprayed too and now are slick to the point that the whole slideout is slipping making a fairly loud noise when it moves. You can feel the vibration on the rv floor as you watch the slideout move front of rv to back back of rv ( about a 1/2 in max) all while hearing what appears the weight of the slideout bearing onto the white rollers "sideways".

i did my best to clean up that appropriate spray off of all non wiper sealing gaskets and all rollers underneath in hopes of creating more friction. im going to let it dry overnight and ill update tomorrow.

Does anybody know what that white powder is on the white rollers? Baby powder or something to give it a bit of grip to keep it from sliding sideways across the rollers?
Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #2

Not sure, I have 25000 hard driving miles and have lubricated seals and rollers several times and never noticed any movement.
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:05 AM   #3

thanks for replying. i just spoke with Tim at Bal Norcoind and he doesnt think its roller related. there is a seperate tracking roller he wants to be checked, i believe its side mounted. he wants to make sure cables are pulling level and brackets are mounted correctly. to be continued...
he also told me to meausure the outside of slide to mounting brackets, not siding or flashing for proper accuracy. makes sense.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:30 AM   #4

I use 303 on my slide seals. I've never thought of doing anything to the white wheels. Should I be giving em a shot of WD40 or something?
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:42 AM   #5

man, i wouldnt touch the white rollers. just got notice from kocal rv dealer they see nothing wrong mechanically with the system itself,and it still made noise. they are going to add a thin rubber layer to underside of slide so that when the slide retracts back in, the roller ( the one closest to the driver) will literally bear and rest on hopefully making it not want to slide the slide front to back.

im actually going to buy talcum powder and put a light coatingunder the slide so the rollers can pick it up. that is ine thing i saw that i regret cleaning off before this issue started happening. coincidence ir not, not yet sure.

there have not been much chatter on the web about accuslide slides having this noise issue while travelling. Thor rv's have had issues, but that was a different style of slude i believe ( no cables).

lastly, others have shimed the rollers with wood so they sit higher putting more pressure under the slide lifting it up more. that may be an option, although the rubber would accomplish the same effect i believe.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:20 AM   #6

We are talking about the accuslide with cables, am I correct? If I'm correct the problem could be just that your cables and chain came out of adjustment, I'm attaching a manual for them and how to adjust them. I don't really think the rollers have anything to do with it, I have one slide like that. I had to adjust my cables, hope we are talking about the same slide out. If not just disregard. hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bedroom Slide adjustments.pdf (1.28 MB, 138 views)

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:29 AM   #7

yea makes sense if there was not enough pressure holding it in, thst would sllow shifting while traveling. all cables are taught, not too tight, not too soft. WD, one thing i noticed was when the slide was all the way extracted, one side was about 1/2 longer than the other side. wonder if that is enough to cause this issue. also to note, the whole slide appeared shifted towards the front of the rv, the tracker roller wheels that are on each end, the one closest to the front is marked up pretty bad from the wheel hitting the screw heads on the slide. Bal Norco Accuslide said that shouldnt be a big concern for me however. they wiuld like the slide centered if at all possible.

i question the rv service centers ability to fix this, since they told me they looked it over and all appears fine.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:33 AM   #8

yes ty for offering the manual. that is the same one from the website. a good youtube vid good help me thru this ( they dont have one yet), but i should be able to work my way checking it out. any advice, tips WD?
Old 07-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatcoal View Post
yes ty for offering the manual. that is the same one from the website. a good youtube vid good help me thru this ( they dont have one yet), but i should be able to work my way checking it out. any advice, tips WD?
I don't like the roller hitting screw heads for one you might be able to countersink the heads the roller would then be fine. Important is the slack that you will find on one side of the chain. One side will be tight and one side you will find has some slack in it. If it's your forward chain you can adjust that. If you press down on the chain and get more then a 1/4" drop, you could tighten that. One chain will slack once it is out on one side when it comes in the other side will then slacken, this is normal I would check the forward chain if you are moving back and forth horizontally. Hope that helps you a little. I can't believe they told you it slipping on your rollers. If you can center it before you make the adjustments. Also make small adjustments and count your turns incase you need to go back..... PS: On the cables extended push down on them should have no more the about 3/8" depression, those are also adjustable...

Old 07-20-2016, 09:44 AM   #10

I'm going through my slides right now on our 30DS. I adjusted the cables when the slide was all the way out (manual said 1" total travel in cable) and then I moved the slide all the way in and adjust it the same. Hard to reach over a 3ft slide to adjust the nuts, but I think we got our issue resolved. I had to pull the trim off as well as the 1/4 fascia board that is pin-nailed on to gain access to the adjustment nuts.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:04 AM   #11

"thanks for helping out WD, You said you had a similar issue, meaning you had alot of noise while travelling and what appears to be a physical movement of the slide while moving too?
Odds are is that i will handle this myself. it just has to be a cable adjustment, not holding it in tight enough while retracted thereby allowing the slide to shift front to back at least up to 3/4"". You know the local rv service center said slide movement like that is normal, but the noise isn't. I just can't comprehend the slide should be able to move like that. i have a hard time believing it.

I plan on popping the trim off and looking it over. The cables do appear to have proper tension. The person from Norco said he has seen these issues with the screw heads gouging the vertical alignment tracker rollers (black in color).

I watched a good video on youtube about the accuslide (stripped down naked) and noticed the bearing is mainly on the end rollers. Also, the end rollers appear to have a compression rubber that they install underneath to act as resistance and help push the roller upward against the slide. i must check to make sure they are still there.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:29 PM   #12

update. rv service center said there was nothing wrong the cable system. they did add a rubber membrane they use for patching roofs under each slide where each roller would sit when retracted. that did it. no more noise. just traveled 200 some miles with no noise. yes! still an underlining thing i think tho.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:00 AM   #13

Quote:
update. rv service center said there was nothing wrong the cable system. they did add a rubber membrane they use for patching roofs under each slide where each roller would sit when retracted. that did it. no more noise. just traveled 200 some miles with no noise. yes! still an underlining thing i think tho.
Thanks for the info. I'm glad it's working, It a good reliable system, much better then Schwintek. This is the first I heard of the rubber being used but I'm also not a repair person. Just sounds strange that it could move on you by sliding on the roller horizontally. I will keep that is my memory bank. Glad it's working for you. Check back in again now and then and let us know how well that repair is working, Safe travels to you and yours...

Old 06-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #14

Quote:
i sprayed the slide seals on all 4 sides on a new fr3 30ds. After doing so and drawing in the couch/kitchen table slide, while driving down the road the slide appears to be moving front of rv to back of rv when hitting big bumps. The cables all seem to be fine with proper tension, but i believe the rollers under the slideout got sprayed too and now are slick to the point that the whole slideout is slipping making a fairly loud noise when it moves. You can feel the vibration on the rv floor as you watch the slideout move front of rv to back back of rv ( about a 1/2 in max) all while hearing what appears the weight of the slideout bearing onto the white rollers "sideways".

i did my best to clean up that appropriate spray off of all non wiper sealing gaskets and all rollers underneath in hopes of creating more friction. im going to let it dry overnight and ill update tomorrow.

Does anybody know what that white powder is on the white rollers? Baby powder or something to give it a bit of grip to keep it from sliding sideways across the rollers?

I just did the same thing on my 2018 FR 3 sprayed silicon on the rollers And now it’s making loud popping grinding sound noises when I am driving down a bumpy road. What was the final outcome of your situation. Th Thanks
GM_LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:04 PM   #15

I ended up wiping it down, then we installed aluminum strips under the slide for the rollers to ride on , shimmed it up. I also added a strip of eternabond at the outer edge of the slide, where the rollers ride on when the slide is all the way in. That fixed it
Old 06-22-2019, 05:30 AM   #16

The fix I tried for this situation is to generously spray Belt Conditioner (as in auto fan belts) on the underside of the slide at the spots where the slide comes to rest on each of the rollers when it is fully retracted. I just finished a 500 mile trip and experienced zero movement, zero grinding/thumping noise at stop and take-off and during sway-inducing turns. Belt conditioner dries pretty quickly and produces a light tackiness.
Thought I was doing the right thing on my 1 yr. old FR3 this spring when I decided to also spray some silicone lube on ends of those underside rollers while getting the slide out seals/wipes. Next trip couldn’t figure out what the popping, grinding, & thumping was while detoured down a ‘very back road’, then on highway back home at every instance of braking and acceleration. Thought I was having a chassis issue, but then noticed aluminum edge of slideout was laid bare and the little black roller on the side of the coach wall was completely crushed. Figured major slideout problem, and contacted FR about getting it into the shop and covered under warranty since less than 30 days past 1 yr. warranty. FR immediately said they’d cover it (Thanks FR!) but shop could find nothing else wrong or out of place, mid-aligned, delivered RV back to me saying noise still there but not as bad, and explained to me how the slideout just sits on those large bottom rollers. That’s when it occurred to me what was happening and the probable cause (me hitting those rollers with silicone), and that the fix to stop that movement had to be creating friction between the bottom of the slide and the rollers.
I can update later but I think this is going to work great, cheap and easily re-applied, should not harm the slide finish.

2019 FR3 32DS
FarFromLiberal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:34 AM   #17

I could see light tackiness working for sure. That eternabond I placed on the underside acts as that in that the roller seats itself in a little groove created by the squishiness of the rubber membrane. Thx for sharing FFL.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:04 AM   #18

I did the same thing . Doing the same as you disscribbed. Can you send a picture of your fix ?
Frameman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:53 AM   #19

I’ll send a pic next weekend when I have the rv out of my storage
Old 07-15-2019, 01:56 PM   #20

Here ya go, the eternabond and gorilla tape act as a shin and keep the rollers from “sliding” making noises while traveling. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5437.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	209961

Tags
slide, slide out