Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2021, 11:14 PM   #1

Adding 12V Power to Captain's Chairs

Has anyone ever added 12V Power to the drivers side & passenger side of your FR3? (or any MH)
Currently there is no Power under the seats. Someday I will upgrade our seats to 6-Way power maybe also heated seats.

Before then, I plan to install some carpet in the cockpit, doghouse area, & sound/heat mats so while I am there doing this work I want to think ahead and bring some power to under the seats for future accessibility.

Any suggestions on how/where to route the power?
Would it be advisable to go from outside through the floor to the pedestal?
or Inside along the wall to the pedestal under the carpet?

I do have a photo of an Allegro Seat where it looks clean but dont know if it is under the carpet or drill through the floor

I love to see the advice you all have..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4306.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	358.9 KB
ID:	249027  
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:57 PM   #2

Hi We added air-ride seats to our FR3, these have heat and massage, so they need power. I had to run an air line, and 12V power to each seat. I ran the 12V from the Coach Battery compartment. I also located the Viair Compressor and tank there, and ran the air lines along the metal floor support tubes, and split to driver side and passenger side
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E87B0024-0337-4373-9C47-4169615699E7.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	249188   Click image for larger version

Name:	9B74F9AE-CBB9-4770-8069-AD59F5264808.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	249189   Click image for larger version

Name:	DB078DE4-6A2E-4140-884D-2BC94C285EB5.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	249190  
2015 fr3 30DS, added 2nd A/C-Heat Pump, both A/C have EasyStart, Auto Transfer Switch, CHF with Hellwig Links, Progressive Power Management, TPMS, Blue Ox True-Center, Koni Shocks, HID Headlamps, LED Foglamps, Pioneer Stereo, Keyless entry, Auxiliary Cooling Fans for A/C Condenser, dashcam front-rear, Yokohama Tires, air ride seats, onboard air compressor, 3000 watt hybrid Victron inverter Venus Generator Control, centramatic wheel balancers
Hogq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:09 AM   #3

Oh that is helpful. Did need drill holes for the new pedestal or find one that fit.
If it was a perfect fit would you provide the mfg or part number
Old 03-13-2021, 10:12 PM   #4

The pedestals came with the seats, as the air ride mechanism is part of the base. I used a Peterbuilt seat adapter plate but that won’t help you. I did drill new holes, as that was necessary to mount the seat and provide a strong anchor for seat belts.. The seat is entirely different, and I used unistrut underneath the floor to secure the seat, because the seat plate did not match the welded seat mount under the floor. This is similar to what I ordered, but it is a totally different direction than you are taking.

https://www.raneystruckparts.com/leg...ent=Big%20Rigs
2015 fr3 30DS, added 2nd A/C-Heat Pump, both A/C have EasyStart, Auto Transfer Switch, CHF with Hellwig Links, Progressive Power Management, TPMS, Blue Ox True-Center, Koni Shocks, HID Headlamps, LED Foglamps, Pioneer Stereo, Keyless entry, Auxiliary Cooling Fans for A/C Condenser, dashcam front-rear, Yokohama Tires, air ride seats, onboard air compressor, 3000 watt hybrid Victron inverter Venus Generator Control, centramatic wheel balancers
Old 05-31-2021, 09:33 AM   #5

Grade wire and amperage

Hi curious to see what size wiring and amp fuse did you use for your electric seats? Thanks
Cay0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:26 AM   #6

Hi, I used 12 Gauge wiring to the seats and compressor (I mounted compressor in the electrical compartment by the door on my 30DS). I used a simple switch to close a relay that supplies power to the seats and compressor (I switched it because it don’t want it to run at night). 12GA never shows problems of overheating when using any seat function like massage or warmer).
Old 12-27-2023, 09:27 PM   #7

I just got a phone call that my new Villa power seats will be shipped tomorrow. They are heated too. I'm installing them on my FR3 which has, of course, a 2019 F53 chassis. I'd like to know which fuse or wire you tapped into to provide power to the heat option as well as other electric functions of the seats. I'm looking for something that is tied to the ignition to avoid accidental discharge of the battery. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I see you use Centramatic wheel balancers. I've purchased but not yet installed mine. What is your opinion of them?
Thanks!
Sumo Springs, Koni Shocks, Safe-T-Plus, 5-Star Tuning, Super-Steer Steering Package and front and rear Sway Bars and Trac Bar, Centramatic, Soundown sound proofing, Kenwood DNR1008RVS, and Villa Capitan's chairs.
LargoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 10:04 PM   #8

I used an "add-a-fuse" to 12v Power in the fuse box under the dash to the left side. I think I added it to one of the lesser used 12V power like AC or Blower Motor

https://www.amazon.com/MCIGICM-10Pcs...st_sto_dp&th=1
Old 12-27-2023, 11:21 PM   #9

Thank you for the quick reply! And for the recommendation of Add-A-Fuse. I've already ordered from Amazon.
Sumo Springs, Koni Shocks, Safe-T-Plus, 5-Star Tuning, Super-Steer Steering Package and front and rear Sway Bars and Trac Bar, Centramatic, Soundown sound proofing, Kenwood DNR1008RVS, and Villa Capitan's chairs.
Old 12-28-2023, 08:27 AM   #10

This may not be needed, or wanted, but this is where the Georgetown gets seat power. If you have the new BCC this is the same hook up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	deer.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	295939  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ddd.pdf (359.8 KB, 12 views)
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 10:30 AM   #11

This is great! Not only needed but grateful that you thought of sharing it. Perfect. I'm on vacation with family in KY, but when I return next week I'll check out my battery bay and see if this matches my BCC. Did you contact FR to get this schematic?
Thanks for your help!
Old 12-28-2023, 07:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargoII View Post
This is great! Not only needed but grateful that you thought of sharing it. Perfect. I'm on vacation with family in KY, but when I return next week I'll check out my battery bay and see if this matches my BCC. Did you contact FR to get this schematic?
Thanks for your help!
No but if you have the old FR3 BCC here is the drawing for it, just in case.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FR3 Battery Control Center.pdf (465.1 KB, 15 views)
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 07:46 PM   #13

You are a wealth of info, Bubbles. Thanks for FR3 schematic! I'll let you all know how the install goes.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:41 PM   #14

I finally had time to finish the installation of two new Villa Coronado seats, one Pilot seat and one Passenger seat. They have six-way power bases with lumbar support, adjustable arms, and seat warmers. Now that they are installed I can say they are very comfortable (much, much more than the stock seats). They are a little bigger all around, so turning them around requires a little maneuvering, still easier than the originals. And the seat warmers are soooooo nice as they heat the seat and back. The six-way adjustable base adds to the comfort.

Installation was straightforward as the base holes lined up with the previous seat holes. The old carriage bolts were ½ “ by 5” with washers and nylon insert nuts. I replaced them with black oxide standard bolts, washers, and nylon insert nuts of the same size. I didn’t use carriage bolts because I did not think I could tighten them to my satisfaction. Also, I had to reverse the bolts with the head in wheel well and the washer and nut under the seat because the seat base would not allow them to be inserted from the top.

I did have to drill a 3/8” hole near the outside rear bolt to feed the 12-gage wire to power each seat. I felt placing the hole there would best facilitate wire movement as the seat was rotated. The holes were about 2 ½” from the seat bolt to clear the 1” square tube framing member and steel plate below the floor. I purchased 20 feet of 12/2 Ancor marine grade flat electrical cable and ran it through automotive chaff guard before running it from the seats to the house battery bay. I used outdoor zip ties to secure it to framing members. The cable was looped around the seat base to prevent chaffing points when rotating. All the wires were connected with marine grade crimped butt connectors or terminal connectors. Thanks to Bubble’s wiring diagram I was able to find the 20 amp fuse that Georgetown rigs use for their powered seats. I used a 20-amp fuse for each chair. And Bubble’s, I do have the new BBC in my rig.

I removed my rig’s front wheels for this installation for a few of reasons. First, it made seat installation much easier. Secondly, I am going to install Soundown sound proofing (a marine product) between the 1” square tubing floor support framing, but that’s a future post. Thirdly, I purchased Centramatic wheel balancers to install when I’m done with everything else.

My only regret is that the seats did not have a separate lead for the warmer so I could put that on an ignition powered fuse to keep them from staying on once the engine was turned off.

I am attaching pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wheelwell.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	296953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat base.png
Views:	18
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	296954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Bay.png
Views:	19
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	296955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seats 1.png
Views:	22
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	296956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seats in travel.png
Views:	20
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	296957  

Name:	Pilots seat.png
Views:	16
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	296958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger seat.png
Views:	17
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	296959  

Tags
power