Old 06-28-2020, 06:45 PM   #1

Adding fans in the cockpit

Howdy, I want to add some fans to move the air in the front cab for driver and co-pilot comfort. Wondering if there is a opinion on what to use or what brand to look for? Thanks in Advance
2020 FR3 34DS
Winddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winddancer View Post
Howdy, I want to add some fans to move the air in the front cab for driver and co-pilot comfort. Wondering if there is a opinion on what to use or what brand to look for? Thanks in Advance
I installed Fan-Tastic Fans & Vent covers in every roof vent. The kitchen Fan-Tastic Fan has a wireless remote as my wife can't the roof.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:33 AM   #3

Thanks Robert, I should have been clearer of what I was asking for. I want to add a 6" or so fan on the driver’s side and passenger side of the cockpit that will blow some air across our faces when the weak AC is just not keeping us comfortable. I am thinking 12VDC powered by the chassis so I can run them without the generator on.
2020 FR3 34DS
Old 06-29-2020, 05:03 PM   #4

Check out Maradyne fan products on Amazon.
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:10 PM   #5

No fans just tint

The real problem is the windshield. We added a clear 3m window tint to the front winshield, it blocks most of the heat from the sun and UV rays. big difference in comfort in the front part of our coach. The AC fan should be enough after.
Ben Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:41 PM   #6

Hmm, that is an interesting idea. For us the real issue is the cab is so poorly insulated that we can feel the heat coming up from the floor. In addition, after it gets nice and warm outside the air coming out of the AC duct is not cold. I have had the compressor and system checked and it is quote " performing to spec". At some point I will find the ducts and put more insulation around them and insulate the dog house and maybe the floor better. So I like the idea of a UV blocker on the windshield. May I be so bold to ask what it cost you to have the tint installed? Maybe email me if you don't want to broadcast it. Thanks in advance for the idea.
2020 FR3 34DS
Old 06-30-2020, 03:51 PM   #7

So Forest River is no longer installing the overhead (6 inch) windshield fans (one on each side) under the overhead cabinets. Thought that would continue to be standard. Every MH I've had since 2000 has had them. Might contact FR and ask for manufacturer. They seem to be a standard configuration (hi/off/lo) and 360 degree rotatable. I don't know who made them
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:56 PM   #8

How To Contact Factory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
So Forest River is no longer installing the overhead windshield fans (one on each side) under the overhead cabinets. Thought that would continue to be standard. Every MH I've had since 2000 has had them. Might contact FR and ask for manufacturer. They seem to be a standard configuration (hi/off/lo) and 360 degree rotatable. I don't know who made them
Now that is a forehead slapping moment. I did not realize FR use to install them. So forgive my newbie question here, but what is the best way to contact the factory? Online or call? Any insight would be helpful.
2020 FR3 34DS
Old 06-30-2020, 04:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winddancer View Post
Now that is a forehead slapping moment. I did not realize FR use to install them. So forgive my newbie question here, but what is the best way to contact the factory? Online or call? Any insight would be helpful.
My MH is a 2012 GT378. I have not contacted FR since 2012 and do not have a phone number for them. Sorry. I do have to make an adjustment to my post and that is the fans can oscillate and are one speed. I have seen fans like them for less than $20. My fans are powered from a switch in the center console where the other switches are located below the air conditioner control panel. Wiring for both fans is routed down the left windshield pillar to under the dash.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #10

We Bought these (one for each side) Works great! We bought a multi DC plug in to plug these into. This way we can unplug when not in use to prevent parasitic draw on the battery. I can turn mine on anytime I want and the wife can turn hers off when she wants. I velcroed the adapter on top of the dash in the middle. works perfectly.

Have fun

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-SP570...%2C211&sr=8-22

https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-3-S...%2C210&sr=8-52

DavidMPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:12 AM   #11

I like the power plug idea. I have a GPS, cellphone, Tire monitoring system all needing power source that this might help with. I might try the fans, but am hoping to find a more built in type of arrangement. I do like the price of them and might try them first just to see how affective they would be. Thanks for the ideas and feedback.
2020 FR3 34DS
Old 07-01-2020, 12:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMPDK View Post
We Bought these (one for each side) Works great! We bought a multi DC plug in to plug these into. This way we can unplug when not in use to prevent parasitic draw on the battery. I can turn mine on anytime I want and the wife can turn hers off when she wants. I velcroed the adapter on top of the dash in the middle. works perfectly.

Have fun

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-SP570...%2C211&sr=8-22

https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-3-S...%2C210&sr=8-52
After looking at options and thinking about it I have ordered the same set up you suggusted. Thanks for the help.
2020 FR3 34DS
Old 07-02-2020, 10:19 AM   #13

Glad I could help. I thought the same as you. The price was right and it worked out so well it has lasted for the last 4 1/2 yrs. Fans clip easily in the top corners of the bed frame and they rotate.

Have fun. and you and yours be safe.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:43 PM   #14

winddancer - thanks for your post. Bought my 2020 FR3 DS30 in Feb '20 and recently have been able to finally use it. Noticed the same air flow issues you mentioned and will research the suggestions below to find one that meets our needs.
EGRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:56 AM   #15

I have received all my parts and am hoping to install this weekend for testing. I also received my dash cover so I am thinking I will be able to simply run the wires under the dash mount to keep it a bit cleaner. I will post a couple of pics when I get it presentable. The coach goes in next week for my suspension upgrades. Just can't find the time to get them installed myself.
2020 FR3 34DS
Old 07-09-2020, 11:24 AM   #16

Good luck Winddancer. I don't think you will be disappointed for the price.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:50 PM   #17

Lynn,

Can you provide more details about your dash cover please... Thx.
EGRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:45 AM   #18

Dash Cover Follow Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGRJR View Post
Lynn,

Can you provide more details about your dash cover please... Thx.
Howdy EFRJR, I will start a new thread on the dash cover so it will be easier for others to see and find if they are interested.
2020 FR3 34DS

Tags
fan