Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #1

back-up camera monitor

I find the location of the back-up camera monitor makes it almost useless for me as I am uncomfortable looking down and away from the road. Also, the angle makes it hard to see.

I have a Rand McNally RV GPS and it has an input for an external video, like a back-up camera. Wondering if I could connect it instead of the installed monitor. I would put the GPS screen up on the dash. Of course, I don't know how to do it and am hesitant to start taking the console apart with no plan.

Has anyone done something like this? If so, how hard was it?

Thanks.

Barbara
FR3 30DS 2014
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #2

Should be able too. Im getting ready to get into the console area to fix a squeak. Will look and advist how its hooked up...but should just be a cable from the rear camera.
zippyzrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #3

That would be great if you could tell me what you see. Hate to go in blind.

Thanks.

B
Old 09-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #4

Just to give an update, I had the rig in to County RV in El Cajon, CA (little ad because they do good work) to have a tire pressure monitoring system installed. Asked them if they could look at either hooking my GPS system to the rearview camera to use it as a monitor, or moving the existing monitor. Turns out it didn't work to hook up to the GPS, but they were able to move the monitor.

They mounted the monitor and my GPS on the dash and then put in a piece of black plastic to cover the hole where the camera was. It looks great, fits with the rest of the panel. Attached are two pictures. One showing the view from the driver's seat, the other from farther back to show spot where monitor used to be.

I love it! I can clearly see my rearview camera monitor and neither device blocks my field of view of the road. For those of you who are a bit handier than I am (I'm working on it), you could probably do this yourself easily.

I'm getting ready to leave San Diego for the first time. Retiring and heading east at the end of September. Getting everything ready to go. Excited and just a bit anxious. The first part of the trip takes me east on highway 8 up and down a mountain pass (4000 feet) to the desert. I've driven it in my Jeep, so I'm familiar with the road. But it will be different in the RV pulling the Jeep behind.

Barbara
FR3 30DS 2014
Old 09-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #5

Duh... forgot to post the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	62579   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	62580  
Old 09-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraG View Post
Duh... forgot to post the pictures.

Great Mod! Safer than looking down when using side view cams!

Should paste here too for he gang over at irv2.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210258

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraG View Post
Just to give an update, I had the rig in to County RV in El Cajon, CA (little ad because they do good work) to have a tire pressure monitoring system installed. Asked them if they could look at either hooking my GPS system to the rearview camera to use it as a monitor, or moving the existing monitor. Turns out it didn't work to hook up to the GPS, but they were able to move the monitor.

They mounted the monitor and my GPS on the dash and then put in a piece of black plastic to cover the hole where the camera was. It looks great, fits with the rest of the panel. Attached are two pictures. One showing the view from the driver's seat, the other from farther back to show spot where monitor used to be.

I love it! I can clearly see my rearview camera monitor and neither device blocks my field of view of the road. For those of you who are a bit handier than I am (I'm working on it), you could probably do this yourself easily.

I'm getting ready to leave San Diego for the first time. Retiring and heading east at the end of September. Getting everything ready to go. Excited and just a bit anxious. The first part of the trip takes me east on highway 8 up and down a mountain pass (4000 feet) to the desert. I've driven it in my Jeep, so I'm familiar with the road. But it will be different in the RV pulling the Jeep behind.

Barbara
FR3 30DS 2014

Barbara G, nice job on the monitor. Good luck on your trip...

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Rolling Magic is offline   Reply With Quote