Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2021, 04:22 PM   #1

Backup Camera Dilemma

Any help will be appreciated. The backup camera in the RV is clouded. I wrote Forest River and they were great at sending me a new back-up camera. Problem is, it's a 5 pin camera and the wire harness is only 4 pin. I contacted Forest River again and they checked for the correct camera according to my VIN #, but the 4 pin has been discontinued so Forest River was great in sending me a complete harness kit. Is anyone aware of an adapter and will it work the same? I really would prefer not to have the whole RV rewired. The RV is currently in the shop waiting for a decision. Is there an after market camera that would resolve this? I have no idea how much is involved in installing these new 5 pin cameras (2 side and a rear) and will it work with the in dash monitor? And is the in dash monitor a 4 pin plug in also

DavidMPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:28 PM   #2
Btm

Cameras

My camera sound quit working and the camera is fuzzy. It is a 5 pin.

I have found that most cameras on Forest River products are made by RVS. Use Google to see all of their products.

They are all 5 pin, RCA plugs or wireless. While looking I did not see any kind of 4 pin plugs or adapters. You could call them. 800-764-1028

If you find you cannot use the camera from Forest River, maybe I could buy it from you. E-mail. bmoore929@sbcglobsl.net

Btm
CHF rear, CHF front, Sumo springs front
Btm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:41 PM   #3

Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...n-rvs-ad3.html
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:59 AM   #4
Btm

Camera

Looks like they do have 5pin to 4pin converters.

Let us know if it works.

Btm
CHF rear, CHF front, Sumo springs front
Btm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:04 PM   #5

Backup Camera Dilemma

Thank you all for your information and suggestions. The plug adapter was not compatible "Thank you nvs4602". The RV Repair shop got the new back up camera working, but it was projecting side ways and the side cameras not working at all. So I told them to go back to the drawing board. They said they ran against this before and they had to change the module. MODULE? For such an assumed "I know the saying" plug and play fix but due to the discontinued camera on a 2016 FR3 "really? it's a 2016 RV" this is turning into a cluster @$#%. Has anyone run into this or even heard of this situation? Forest River has been very accommodating in parts, but it seems parts are just being thrown at it to see what sticks. The radio, monitor etc. is the Pioneer 2700bs. that came with the RV and I've been told the cameras are Furrion. Thanks to all who know my frustration

Old 07-30-2021, 01:24 PM   #6

Sorry for all your troubles. My brother is going through the same problem on his 2015 Winnebago Tour. He spent $300 on the new controller from Winnebago. It worked for a couple weeks then his side cameras stopped working.
There really isn't any thing special about them. It's basically a selector switch for the cameras. When you put it in reverse you get power to the backup camera. Same with turn signals. Definitely not worth $300.

So I sent him this controller.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08HN2VY...8GWRXAJYYP10HV

You can also buy new cameras for $30 to $40 dollars.

Biggest problem I've had with my motorhome is bad crimped on wire connectors so make sure they check and double check them. I had 3 out of 8 connections I have worked on where the spad connectors just pulled off.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:02 PM   #7

Backup Camera Dilemma UPDATE

First I would like to thank all who responded to my question. Second I would like to thank Forest River for all their help especially FR3 representative Celestino Lopez clopez@forestriverinc.com. Unfortunately, it was to no avail. After throwing part after part at this project nothing was working. The camera was a discontinued unit and the new parts were all incompatible. So as the saying goes "the horse is dead, stop trying to ride it". We broke down and decided to go a different route. UPGRADE! complete camera system. Went for VOYAGER Backup and side cameras with 7" monitor. We hoped that the old system was just a plug and play fix to the rear camera only that went yellow and blurry after 3 years. The new system is still being installed and have been assured we will not be disappointed. Soon we will finally be back on the road. RV's are money pits, but aren't they fun.

Old 08-22-2021, 06:42 PM   #8

2020 FR3 34DS, camera works fine during the day with bright colors, However, at night the screen is yellow. Is this normal for night vision or do I have a problem with the camera? I appreciate any advise and/or suggestions.
2020 FR3 34DS, Blue Ox Avail, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO Braking System, Tire Minder TPMS-i10-10, Lippert Friction Door Hinges, GPS Rand McNally OverDryve 7RV, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs Front & Rear, Sway Bar Front & Rear, Roadmaster Stabilizer, Soft Start both AC's, WACO AC Silencer, Frig Defender ARP Control v5.11 + 2 Fans. 2012 Cadillac SRX Luxury
USAFE7Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFE7Ret View Post
2020 FR3 34DS, camera works fine during the day with bright colors, However, at night the screen is yellow. Is this normal for night vision or do I have a problem with the camera? I appreciate any advise and/or suggestions.
When you say yellow, do you mean a yellow tint or a complete yellow block (see picture)

The yellow tine in the dark, my limited experience with 2 back up cameras in different cars, yellow tint that shows up in low lighting. the Camera is not the best and can struggle with low light

The solid yellow - you might need a new monitor or pinched wires someplace.

On my 2019, my camera/monitor has a yellow tint due to low lighting. Im okay with it now -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yell.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	261515  
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:20 PM   #10

robo44 your Awesome. Based on your response, it must be the camera. The yellow tint is on the camera at night only. I'm going to see if warranty will cover it since I have until October to use it. If not than it will have to wait until I can afford to purchase a high quality camera. Will do research on one. Be well and safe travels.
2020 FR3 34DS, Blue Ox Avail, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO Braking System, Tire Minder TPMS-i10-10, Lippert Friction Door Hinges, GPS Rand McNally OverDryve 7RV, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs Front & Rear, Sway Bar Front & Rear, Roadmaster Stabilizer, Soft Start both AC's, WACO AC Silencer, Frig Defender ARP Control v5.11 + 2 Fans. 2012 Cadillac SRX Luxury
USAFE7Ret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera