Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2022, 11:17 AM   #1

Battery Problems

purchased a 2019 Forest River FR3 32DS last year. Last time we took her out was around 4 months ago. About 2 months ago I opened the door and the steps would not come down. I went to turn on the battery disconnect and nothing. I started up the coach and after it ran for around 5 to 10 seconds, I heard a click and then tried the battery disconnect and it came on. The battery indicator says the coaches batteries are 3/4 full. I took it in they replaced both batteries and everything seemed fine. About a 2 week ago same problem, I returned it and was told batteries were fine, tech had left the terminals loose. Opened it up this morning, same issue, I've seen this problem on here several times but most say replace house batteries.Already done that to no avail, any ideas what else should be looked at. PS anyone know of a good service facility for the FR3 in tidewater Virginia. It a real pain to find anyone that will even look at these things.
If you would like to send suggestions, PM me here.

Thank-you
Dan
DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 01:53 PM   #2

Sounds to me like your coach alternator is not is not charging your house batteries. One way to test this is with a simple multimeter. Take a reading from your house battery terminals with out the coach started. Depending on the batteries state of charge it will read anywhere from 12.6 which would be fully charged or lower if not. Now start the coach and take another reading. If your coach alternator is charging it should jump up to 13.4 or more. If there is no change you have an issue and in my friends case it was a bad solenoid between the house battery and the coach alternator.

Here is a you tube video on it https://youtu.be/FWFNMt_DkpM
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 02:38 PM   #3

House batteries

Soon as I start the coach the steps come down and the battery disconnect seems to start working again. Doesn't that mean the coach alternator is charging? Even after I turn the coach off the steps go up and down for a few hours. Also I currently have it connected to shore power and the battery disconnect is in the lighted position, which should be charging the coach batteries, but if I go out in the morning steps will not go down and it will act like the battery is dead, until I start the coach. Then I'll hear the disconnect thump and everything will work fine at least for a couple hours.
Old 04-03-2022, 04:32 PM   #4

I have several items that are run directly to the coach batteries that are not controlled by the battery cutoff, outside radio/carbon monoxide detectors etc you should be able to see the leads going directly to your batteries, over time these can drain your coach batteries. My outside radio always seems to come on whenever the power is cycled even though I never use it.
If you are storing the unit you might want to pull the fuses or set up a separate shut off that can control these items.
Do you know if your converter is charging the batteries while on shore power? It might take some time to recharge the batteries from dead but quick check on voltage will tell you if it is working.
Bongo Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 04:44 PM   #5

Bongo Bambi,

It does not seem to be charging if on shore power. The odd thing is the disconnect switch does not seem to work until I start the coach engine and it doesn't take but a few seconds of the engine running, Then everything work again for at least a few hours. I've left it connected to shore power for at least 24 hours and it doesn't seem to charge until I start the coach. Then almost immediately everything starts working.
Old 04-03-2022, 04:58 PM   #6

The converter in my Georgetown is in the same compartment as the power cord and plugs into an outlet, I have had the plug come out, you might want to check the converter a little closer.
Bongo Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ View Post
Even after I turn the coach off the steps go up and down for a few hours. Also I currently have it connected to shore power and the battery disconnect is in the lighted position, which should be charging the coach batteries
The battery switch will be illuminated regardless the batteries connected or not when on shore power. The engine alternator will charge the coach batteries whether they are connected or not. The steps are inline fused directly off the coach batteries and should operate with the coach batteries disconnected. It's always a good idea to actuate the battery disconnect switch to ensure the coach batteries are not disconnected for their charging via the converter when on shore or genny power.

Additionally, what you are hearing when you start the coach is not the disconnect relay but is the interconnect relay that ties the coach and chassis batteries together for charging.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:46 PM   #8

When connected to shore power, check battery voltage. It should read 13+ volts. If not, check and reset converter breaker. Does ac work when on shore power?
Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:00 PM   #9

Yes do the voltage test at the batteries while on shore power. Sounds like your batteries aren’t being charged.

Don’t keep replacing batteries. Find the problem first.