Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2016, 12:43 AM   #1

Black tank flush

Fr3
Whats the best way to flush the black tank. Valve open? Or keep it closed for a little and than open the valve.
Nsopti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsopti View Post
Fr3
Whats the best way to flush the black tank. Valve open? Or keep it closed for a little and than open the valve.
Always keep the black tank closure to the open position when showering the tank on the clean out. If you don't you could wind up getting black water up into higher sources of the tank that could be harder to clean, not good.
BEMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsopti View Post
Fr3
close drain valve, spray for a while, shut off spray, open valve and let it flow out, repeat until you're satisfied with the cleanness,....BECAUSE,... if your in-the-tank spray nozzle is mounted like mine(most are), it is mounted on the drain side of your black tank just above the drain hole,.... if you are spraying while you have the drain valve open and letting the stuff flow out, .... the spray is spraying into/against the flow of the stuff trying to flow out the drain, and actually hindering that flow towards the drain hole,..... FR must mount them there because its convenient and easier, if they mounted the spray unit on the opposite side of the tank, that spray would actually help push the flow towards the drain hole, but they don't.....

if you can determine that your flush unit is mounted on the opposite side of the black tank from the drain side, then ignore what I just posted, but it probably isn't.......

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #4

I run ours with the valve open for the first drain, then I do it with the valve closed. I did some testing the first time and determined that it takes a little less than two minutes for the tank rinser to fill the tank to 2/3. I repeat that as often as it takes for the water to drain clear(ish).

I try not to do other stuff while I'm backfilling the tank. I'm not a great multitasker at the best of times and this is one instance where I REALLY don't want to lose focus!

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restcure View Post
I run ours with the valve open for the first drain, then I do it with the valve closed. I did some testing the first time and determined that it takes a little less than two minutes for the tank rinser to fill the tank to 2/3. I repeat that as often as it takes for the water to drain clear(ish).

I try not to do other stuff while I'm backfilling the tank. I'm not a great multitasker at the best of times and this is one instance where I REALLY don't want to lose focus!

For sure.
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:44 AM   #6
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restcure View Post

X2

I let it run with the valve open for a minute or two and then close the valve and let it fill the tank until the full light starts to blink and immediately open the valve. Then I repeat once or twice.

IMO, the flusher's spray nozzle will clean a fair bit of the solids but not everything. Filling and draining again helps wash out what the flusher nozzle can't reach or doesn't push hard enough.

Here's a couple videos that I found helpful.

I also use the Geo Method to help keep the tanks clean and control odors. It makes the sides and bottom of the tank slippery to aid the flusher in getting the solids moving.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I also use the Geo Method to help keep the tanks clean and control odors. It makes the sides and bottom of the tank slippery to aid the flusher in getting the solids moving.
+1!

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, tank