Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #1

C.O. Detector/Alarm

I have a 2014 FR3 28DS. On Sunday morning we just finished eating breakfast. The A/C was on, the refridgerator was on and the vent fan under the Microwave was running. I am sure the water heater was probably running as well. The C/O alarm went off and would not stop. It keep beeping four times. I shut the A/C off and the water heater. I opened the windows and roof vents. After about 10 minutes or so the alarm stopped. I thought maybe the batteries were bad but they test okay. I removed the alarm and keep it inside my house all night and it never went off. Befeore I call the F.D. with a C.O. tester, I was going to run the generator,A/C ref. and water heater to see if this happens again.
Any comments or Idea's why this is going off. Some friends that have RV's tell me this has happened to them before and there was nothing wrong. Don't want to spend the night in it until this is resolved. The unit is going into the shop on August 25th. Somone said it can't be the A/C. But could be the water heater. Due to the propane ?
philv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

If the unit you speak of is on the overhead and 9v battery powered, it is most likely your smoke/fire detector and not CO/Propane. The ceiling mounted detectors are prone to false alarms when exposed to extreme temps(AC blowing on it), dust, moisture/high humidity and spiders as well. You already did step one by checking the battery. Step 2 is to blow it out to remove dust ect. Step 3 is get a new one. They are under $7.

The CO/LP gas detector should be powered off the house battery(s) and mounted near the floor.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #3

It is definately a Carbon Monoxide detector. It is powered by three AA batteries. It is located over the bed on the ceiling.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:44 PM   #4

In our FR3-30DS the one above the bed is a smoke/fire detector. The carbon monoxide detector is located near the floor, on the wall to the left of the dinette.
Moons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #5

CO/LP detectors are always wired directly to the house battery, and is at floor level, no replaceable batteries in it. Yours is a smoke detector on the ceiling. Even a house battery disconnect will not turn it off unless you have a disconnect directly on the house battery. Always on.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:58 PM   #6

My smoke detector has batteries and I remove the batteries when I store the RV.
I found that when stored in my carport and the batteries are getting low, they will beep intermittently, enough to make me crazy!
Old 08-10-2015, 02:26 PM   #7

This is a Carbon Monoxide detector. It says carbon Monoxide detector on in. It is mounted over the bed on the ceiling on my 2014 FR3 28DS. It has three AA batteries. Differeant on the FR3 30, as you say. . Mine is not hard wired. But it is definatly a carbon Monoxide detector.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:26 PM   #8

Homeowners should remember not to install carbon monoxide detectors directly above or beside fuel-burning appliances, as appliances may emit a small amount of carbon monoxide upon start-up. A detector should not be placed within fifteen feet of heating or cooking appliances or in or near very humid areas such as bathrooms.
When considering where to place a carbon monoxide detector, keep in mind that although carbon monoxide is roughly the same weight as air (carbon monoxide's specific gravity is 0.9657, as stated by the EPA; the National Resource Council lists the specific gravity of air as one), it may be contained in warm air coming from combustion appliances such as home heating equipment. If this is the case, carbon monoxide will rise with the warmer air.

From Carbon Monoxide Detector Placement - Carbon Monoxide - Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:23 PM   #9
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by philv View Post
This is a Carbon Monoxide detector. It says carbon Monoxide detector on in. It is mounted over the bed on the ceiling on my 2014 FR3 28DS. It has three AA batteries. Differeant on the FR3 30, as you say. . Mine is not hard wired. But it is definatly a carbon Monoxide detector.
Can you post a pic of the back or inside cover where the specs are located? That would be helpful. Additionally, if it is a carbon monoxide detector and the factory placed it over the bed, it is incorrectly installed and presents a safety hazzard. RIVA needs to know about that...
Old 08-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #10

I looked closer at mine on the ceiling, it has one 9 V battery, and sign on ceiling next to it says smoke detector. My propane/CO detector/ a flat panel, is just above floor at TV end and is labeled for P/CO, has two lights and a tab press to test it periodically.
I am in a FR Flagstaff Classic a frame/2012 model
Old 08-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #11

Philv, I also have a carbon monoxide detector above my bed on my FR3 -30 DS. It does say carbon monoxide and needs 3 batteries.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
johnpisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #12

In my 2015 30DS my carbon dioxide detector/alarm is on the ceiling in the bedroom at the very back end of the coach. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1439250116.899264.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	85300
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:54 PM   #13

Reading the instructions pamphlet that came with the detector and it says, if used in RV, permanently mount to wall or ceiling. 4 quick beeps repeating every 5 seconds indicates a dangerous concentrations of CO detected.
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #14
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
The ones that come with the RV are the cheapest ones made. I replaced mine with upgraded, residential, smoke/fire/CO detectors with a bright LED escape light. I think they ware about $30 at Lowe's.

They don't false. They work like they should.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:08 PM   #15

Mine (FR3) also has the CARBON MONOXIDE sensor in the bedroom on the ceiling. Since carbon monoxide's specific gravity is almost exactly the same as air, it can be mounted at any height. You can see that this appears to be meant to mount on the ceiling and it is OSHA approved.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:19 PM   #16

BTW Radio.. In your profile you mention to visit here: "forestriver forums ham radio and rving" Is this a separate section on this board? I don't see it anywhere and only see a single thread on Ham Radio in the General forum.

Jim
AI4SR
Extra. Base and Mobile in the RV
Old 08-10-2015, 10:16 PM   #17

Don't overlook the obvious...same thing happened to us. It turned out to be a bad CO detector. Replaced it and everything was fine.
stallsmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:36 AM   #18

The photo Leisrelarry posted is the exact same Carbon Monoxide Alarm that I have. Mounted over the bed.
I will be buying a new (additional) C/O detector. I will also try and run everything just to see if it occures again, just in case there is a C/O leak somewhere. If it goes off I will have some friends from the F.D. come over with a C/O detector to try and find the leak. Plus have the service Dept. check it when I take it in on the 25th.
I read up on C/O detectors and it says they can be mounted just about anywhere (However not close to any appliance etc) but five feet off the floor on the wall is best.
My smoke detector is mounted on the ceiling just behind the drivers chair.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:41 AM   #19

thanks Jim Schings.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #20
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
The photo Leisrelarry posted is the exact same Carbon Monoxide Alarm that I have. Mounted over the bed.
I will be buying a new (additional) C/O detector. I will also try and run everything just to see if it occures again, just in case there is a C/O leak somewhere. If it goes off I will have some friends from the F.D. come over with a C/O detector to try and find the leak. Plus have the service Dept. check it when I take it in on the 25th.
I read up on C/O detectors and it says they can be mounted just about anywhere (However not close to any appliance etc) but five feet off the floor on the wall is best.
My smoke detector is mounted on the ceiling just behind the drivers chair.
Since it is exactly what you said it was (I have not seen a separate battery powered unit used in this application before) Im wondering where your LP gas detector is??? BTW, learned something new and reminded not to assume so thanks.