Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #1
Junior Retiree

Chasing down a leak

Wondering if anyone can help. I have a leak in my 2014 FR3 30DS. It's appearing on the passenger side front corner below the front side window and corner of the windshield. The side panel was wet, so I've dried it out, sealed the outside corner and side window as best I can. Unfortunately the side panel probably needs replacing.
So I'm now waiting for some rain to check if this has solved the problem before replacing a portion of the side panel.
But here's my question - the unit has a Evans Tempcon Dash Heater/A.C. I've noticed on certain trips once I stop and shutoff the RV significant water is discharged from the A.C. unit (front corner passenger side). It not only discharges from the vent on the bottom of the unit but also from the top of the A.C. unit. Now I'm wondering if this water discharge is somehow leaking back into the passenger side corner of the RV.

Question:
Anyone else notice this discharge from the top of the A.C.? Is this normal or should the water discharge be confined to the underside vent only?

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2017, 09:06 PM   #2

We're in Florida and noticed the same thing yesterday. We have a 2015 30DS. I was just going to seal the window up when I got back. I have no clue what's causing it.
gomatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:22 PM   #3
Junior Retiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomatthew View Post
We're in Florida and noticed the same thing yesterday. We have a 2015 30DS. I was just going to seal the window up when I got back. I have no clue what's causing it.
Thanks gomathew, I'm going to call the A.C. manufacturer tomorrow to see if this water discharge is normal for the A.C. unit. My fear is the water is discharging while we're driving and the wind is forcing the water back into the passenger compartment. I resealed the side window and the outside corner molding. If it still leaks then it's likely either the A.C. unit or the windshield. It's made a real mess of the side panel and I'm hopeful there isn't further water damage deeper.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:09 AM   #4

It could be the outside top right marker light. Its recessed formed fiberglass pocket. When the coach sits level that shelf can hold water. Eventually the pocket fills and because the wires pass thru a non sealed hole the water seeps in. On my 2014 I found water under the sliding passenger table. And discovered the issue. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1500984299.775488.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	145974

Get up there, remove the lens and seal the wire pass thru hole with silicone. Or. Always park down hill!

The other side the unsealed hole was drilled higher up so it does not happen. Same with the three center lights.

Unsealed pass thru wire lights are found under the tail lights too. When ever I have to remove a lens or fixture I find this.

Good luck.
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:23 AM   #5

Another thought. We parked one time on a site that wasn't too level (tilted fwd & to the right), and I didn't want to raise the tires off the ground. It was raining that night with the water from the gutter coming down the sidewall/passenger window. Next morning, there was 1/2" of water in the passenger foot area. Found out that the Fwd drip hole in the window channel on the outside (you'll see two drip holes in the frame) was clogged with dirt. On the inside of the coach, you'll find a rubber trim piece that is in the track and if you lift that up, you'll might find a bunch of crud/dirt in there. If it gets clogged, it'll overflow into the cabin space. My guess is either this, the parking lamp is leaking, or AC evap drain tube is clogged. Needless to say I now check those window channels and added gutter extensions.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
Junior Retiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technorick View Post
It could be the outside top right marker light. Its recessed formed fiberglass pocket. When the coach sits level that shelf can hold water. Eventually the pocket fills and because the wires pass thru a non sealed hole the water seeps in. On my 2014 I found water under the sliding passenger table. And discovered the issue. Attachment 145974

Get up there, remove the lens and seal the wire pass thru hole with silicone. Or. Always park down hill!

The other side the unsealed hole was drilled higher up so it does not happen. Same with the three center lights.

Unsealed pass thru wire lights are found under the tail lights too. When ever I have to remove a lens or fixture I find this.

Good luck.
Thanks Technorick, I'll give that a shot also.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
Junior Retiree

Thanks for the feedback KansasFR3. This helps a lot!!
Old 07-25-2017, 03:04 PM   #8

thank you very much for the tips as I also have a leak down the right center of the unit.

My great RV dealer told me about those pass through holes before and now you have reminded me to get up there and do it.

2015 FR3 30DS 29,000 miles pulling a 12x7 trailer with 2 Harleys
Larry Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:09 PM   #9
Junior Retiree

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would update with the final outcome of this frustrating leak. After resealing everything mentioned above, the leak continued and the side panel disintegrated. So I took it back to the dealership and they found the issue. The bottom frame of the passenger window had a small crack in it. You could not see it from above, only from below once the side panelling was removed. It was likely a windowframe manufacturing flaw. FR would not help with the replacement cost (3 years out of warranty) but the dealership stepped up and took the majority of the hit - thankfully!!

Tags
leak