Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2015, 04:56 PM   #61

Found mine 1/2 way off on the passenger side sometime ago well before I did CHF. It was bent 1/2 way over from the sway bar bouncing on it. I just ordered another from the FORD dealer and replaced it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:01 PM   #62

I'm willing to install a new one by my own self but I fully expect Forest River to get me the part. I'm going to spend my Saturday under JeNNY with my tools checking things over to make sure other nuts & bolts are not loose or missing.
I did call Boyer ford in Rodgers MN and explained the situation to the service man on the other end of the phone.. He told me that fomoco will not warranty missing parts. 😳 I better check the motor mounts right away!

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2000 Jeep TJ Moab Rock Crawler
2013 Jeep JK
USS Seattle (AOE-3) 84-88 Wayne
US Army 06-15 Sherry
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:16 PM   #63

That's probably not a bad idea Wayne! I think the new bracket and a package of 4 bolts was about $20.00.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:21 PM   #64

I extended the front jacks today to lift the front of JeNNY. I was under her front end to try to adjust the 2 round lights that are mounted low in the bumper area. While under there I noticed with the CHF sway bar link adjustment, with the jacks extended, the sway bar makes contact with the bottom of the leaf springs. I never looked at it with the sway bar in its stock position if it also make contact with the leaf springs with the Jacks down..

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2013 Jeep JK
US Army 06-15 Sherry
Old 06-14-2015, 08:48 AM   #65
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne and sherry View Post
I extended the front jacks today to lift the front of JeNNY. I was under her front end to try to adjust the 2 round lights that are mounted low in the bumper area. While under there I noticed with the CHF sway bar link adjustment, with the jacks extended, the sway bar makes contact with the bottom of the leaf springs. I never looked at it with the sway bar in its stock position if it also make contact with the leaf springs with the Jacks down...
The good news is that you would have to get airborn to get the suspension in that configuration. The high angle of attack between the link to sway bar mount is why you might want to reconsider the cheapness factor and add the hellwig adjustable links. Or, in true jeep fashion, take that baby off roading and maybe some rock climbing too. Sven & Ollie can tell you all about that, eh!
Old 06-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #66

Quote:
I'm willing to install a new one by my own self but I fully expect Forest River to get me the part. I'm going to spend my Saturday under JeNNY with my tools checking things over to make sure other nuts & bolts are not loose or missing.
I did call Boyer ford in Rodgers MN and explained the situation to the service man on the other end of the phone.. He told me that fomoco will not warranty missing parts. �� I better check the motor mounts right away!

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2013 Jeep JK
US Army 06-15 Sherry
This issue with the rear sway bar has been an ongoing problem on the F53 chassis. The nut is swedged on to the mounting bracket but it does not stay put and then it backs off with the bolt falling out. It is a Ford issue not FR and Ford typically provides replacement parts (no charge). I contacted Ford for mine and they told me where to take the coach to have the hardware, they provided, installed. My right top bolt came out and the bushing bracket bent down at 90 degrees. I did have missing items in the form of a bolt and nut. Of course, if the replacement parts are as inexpensive as mentioned, it most probably would be easier.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:01 PM   #67

Hello All, on this CHF mod, how difficult is this? I am not particularly skillful on automotive stuff, I have changed my own oil, can change a tire, replace battery; the directions provided look detailed enough, I was going to call dealer and ask them how much for them to do it, but they charged me $150 to install a CB, which I could have done myself, but they did a good job drilling a hole for the antenna; I thought that was too steep and complained to dealer owner; are there warranty consequences if I get under there and screw it up? I am always cautious, my tech background is really repairing copiers, faxes, computers, not auto stuff, I saw one guy stated a 1 out of 10 simplicity, but that could be 10/10 for me....lol
US Army 22 years
Days Camped
2015 - 50+ days
bigduke1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:46 PM   #68
Certified Curmudgeon

bigduke1956,
The "CHF" requires some tools Metric and/or SAE in medium sizes. You will have to get under the frame in the front and in front of the rear duallys and work while lying on your back. You should use a medium size torque wrench as well. I suggest you install new links on the front so as to avoid clunking, bushing destruction and the possibility of compromising the bolt on the leaf spring. As for "can you". Be brave. If you have the tools, it is not difficult. One side, one bolt at a time does it. Also, you have the 16k chassis so things may be slightly different than what you see in the pics.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #69

Quote:
Attachment 79754Attachment 79755
Ok I've got the rear CHF done, but also discovered a issue... Look at this eh:
Attachment 79756
That's the rear sway bar mount on the drivers side to the axle... It's missing.��. I have a call into the great folks at Forest River and they are working on getting me a new clamp kit as I type here!!
The passengers side clamp is there but the top 15mm bolt was loose. I tightened it down good and snug!!

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2013 Jeep JK
US Army 06-15 Sherry
This should be under the Ford warranty, they will warranty something like this that fell off. you want to talk experience, I have 28 years of experience of what's warranty and what isn't as a tech at dealers

2014 JEEP WRANGLER WILLYS
Bobb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:35 PM   #70

now for my take on the CHF: Don't wait any longer, take your laptop if you have to and get the wrenches and do this. I have 16,000 miles on mine and just did this and went on a weekend trip. Going was a nice day only thing I had to judge with was the semi's wow what a difference. Now coming home we had wind, semi's, rain and anything else you could think of. It made a hell of a difference I only had one OH **** instead of two dozen. I mean you still have to remember your driving an oversized box down the road but well worth the time to do this.

2014 JEEP WRANGLER WILLYS
Bobb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:16 AM   #71

Bubbles when you say you contacted ford who did you call? I'd like to phone that same line if you don't mind. I do not want to take JeNNY in and have this service done for me. I don't have the time and would just like a new clamp sent to me. As for the nuts and bolts for mounting, I'm going to use all grade 8 with locking nuts with grade 8 washers on the back side of the mounting plate on the axle. Along with the locking nuts also lock tight juice will be used as well. All I want from fomoco is the clamp. Or heck I'll remove the passengers side clamp and fab up my own clamp using the passengers clamp as my model eh..

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2013 Jeep JK
US Army 06-15 Sherry
Old 06-15-2015, 06:47 AM   #72

Quote:
Bubbles when you say you contacted ford who did you call? I'd like to phone that same line if you don't mind. I do not want to take JeNNY in and have this service done for me. I don't have the time and would just like a new clamp sent to me. As for the nuts and bolts for mounting, I'm going to use all grade 8 with locking nuts with grade 8 washers on the back side of the mounting plate on the axle. Along with the locking nuts also lock tight juice will be used as well. All I want from fomoco is the clamp. Or heck I'll remove the passengers side clamp and fab up my own clamp using the passengers clamp as my model eh..

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2013 Jeep JK
US Army 06-15 Sherry
I called the 800-444-3311 motorhome assistance number and worked my way thru them to get someone that directed me to a service location (45 miles away/Harker Hts, TX). I sent that service location pictures of my sway bar issue via e-mail so I would not have to take the coach to them just for verification. Don't have a name but it went pretty smooth for me. There was a wait for the service location to get the parts before they called me back but it was not frustratingly long. No charge for parts/installation. Good luck with your issue.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:21 AM   #73

what is the torque settings for the front end bolts, thanks
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:04 PM   #74
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
what is the torque settings for the front end bolts, thanks
Page 1 of the attachment will answer your queston(s).
http://assets.rigidhitch.com/Blue_Ox/TT2400.pdf
Old 06-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #75

Tight Bolts

Any secret to loosening the sway bolts, they are on very tight, using a 3/8 socket drive, still could not get good leverage to budge a millimeter
US Army 22 years
Days Camped
2015 - 50+ days
Old 06-24-2015, 06:04 PM   #76

Tight Sway Bolts

Hello All, just looked up on Ehow about loosening loctite bolts, dont have impact wrench, nor a 6 ft long hunk of pipe, don't want to use heat in that area; when I take to dealer later, may be able to get them to adjust settings for me
US Army 22 years
Days Camped
2015 - 50+ days
Old 06-24-2015, 06:16 PM   #77

Mine came off with a ½ drive breaker bar. ..
b1barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:33 PM   #78
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduke1956 View Post
Hello All, just looked up on Ehow about loosening loctite bolts, dont have impact wrench, nor a 6 ft long hunk of pipe, don't want to use heat in that area; when I take to dealer later, may be able to get them to adjust settings for me
There are different kinds of loctite. You do not need a torch to loosen the sway bar link bolts. Do you not have a 1/2" drive torque wrench?
Old 06-25-2015, 01:23 AM   #79

Mine came off easily, but again my RV has ford parts falling off it almost every time l get under it and look around. One good thing these parts all have a "ford" stamp on them, I guess ford wants the people who find these parts along our road ways to know that it was their part that falls off their products just in case it flys thru someone's windshield, or knocks a motorcyclist off his/her motorcycle that if they survive they will know who to sue. By the way, ford will not warranty their missing parts as they fall off. So this sent me to the Junk yards trying to see if l could find the missing parts on my brand new F53 chassis motorhome, and every ford product l looked at out there from yesteryears had the parts very firmly attached.
Ford I would be very concerned about the crap your putting on Americas roads today, someone's going to get killed when your ford parts are falling off as folks drive your products down the road.
I have made the decision to cancel our planned trip over the 4th of July, and instead I'll spend that time Under and around my new ford product checking every nut and bolt I can see and can get at to make sure they are tight and won't fall off as I'm driving down the road. You see ford, I Care. You don't.

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2013 Jeep JK
US Army 06-15 Sherry
Old 06-25-2015, 01:24 AM   #80

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1435213475.933778.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	81070