Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #1

CHF Guide

I had a chance to do the Cheap Handling Fix and documented my experience and created a guide to help anybody in the future. My way of giving back for all of the stuff that I have learned on this forum....thanks

I have this in PDF Format if anyone wants a copy, just PM your email and I will send over

EDIT:
Please do your research before attempting this, if you decide to do this then my guide will help. Also note that some people have added longer links to put in the Bars / links in the "factory" position - meaning that the angle between the bar and the link are in the same position as the factory had it. Others left the same links. Both have logged a lot of miles without issues.

Weldon

Click image for larger version

Name:	CHF_Manual_Page_1.jpg
Views:	934
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	75384

Name:	CHF_Manual_Page_2.jpg
Views:	1022
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	75385

Name:	CHF_Manual_Page_3.jpg
Views:	1230
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	75386

Name:	CHF_Manual_Page_4.jpg
Views:	1341
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	75387

Name:	CHF_Manual_Page_5.jpg
Views:	1151
Size:	314.5 KB
ID:	75388
WGFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:53 AM   #2

That is awesome, thank you for your professionalism!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #3

So are we still hearing folks from Ford claiming that doing the CHF will increase the wear on bushings and joints by 10 fold, of has this been since updated?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #4

I have not heard anything about that? I have read where some people put longer links on. A lot of people did not. Both have seemed to logged a lot of miles without issues. when the bushings wear down or if a link bends I will replace with a better quality. I was originally going to install heavier sway bars but this was easier and cheaper. I will do something different if I hear of a problem - I will leave modified for now as they seem almost useless as factory installed.

But thanks about making us aware of the Ford comments. This is the first I have heard about it. Where did you hear about this?

Weldon
Old 04-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisurelarry View Post
That is awesome, thank you for your professionalism!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
No problem, I hope this helps

Weldon
Old 04-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post
So are we still hearing folks from Ford claiming that doing the CHF will increase the wear on bushings and joints by 10 fold, of has this been since updated?

Please provide a link where someone is claiming Ford stated that first hand to them or a link to a statement from Ford. I have looked into this mod quite a bit and have never seen anyone say that other than a particular skeptic who posted early in the original CHF thread. I think it is important to stick with documented facts. I am not saying this out of anger or anything, just would like to know who the source is. The extra holes in the sway bar are there for a reason, and I think the originator of the CHF discovered why they are there. I personally think the only issue with the CHF is the length of the chassis-to-sway-bar link as the increased angle of attachment to the sway bar which would increase the load on the bushings and link. This is easily monitored and there are many owners (myself included) with thousands of miles of trouble free experience with the CHF using the stock link.

Thanks.
FR3-25DSOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:40 PM   #7

Weldon
Fantastic job! Thanks for doing this!

2014 FR330 DS
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:14 PM   #8

Awesome!! Thank You

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2000 Jeep TJ Moab Rock Crawler
2013 Jeep JK
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:52 PM   #9

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR3-25DSOwner View Post
Please provide a link where someone is claiming Ford stated that first hand to them or a link to a statement from Ford. I have looked into this mod quite a bit and have never seen anyone say that other than a particular skeptic who posted early in the original CHF thread. I think it is important to stick with documented facts. I am not saying this out of anger or anything, just would like to know who the source is. The extra holes in the sway bar are there for a reason, and I think the originator of the CHF discovered why they are there. I personally think the only issue with the CHF is the length of the chassis-to-sway-bar link as the increased angle of attachment to the sway bar which would increase the load on the bushings and link. This is easily monitored and there are many owners (myself included) with thousands of miles of trouble free experience with the CHF using the stock link.

Thanks.
PLUS ONE!
Old 04-27-2015, 04:43 PM   #10

CHF Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjb View Post
PLUS ONE!

Hmmm, I tried to paste the link....won't work. It's in the irv2 forum. In the early pages of the CHF forum. You can easily find it if you search the thread itself. , I was quite interested but then saw a few folks complaining about bushings and links only lasting a short time after. So, I simply stopped reading about it until I saw this on the form.

I did ask Steve Strombough from FR last year if they recommend this? He simply said that altering the vehicle from factory specs is not recommended and could not assure me the warranty would be unaffected.

So that's why I simply asked if this was since updated or proven incorrect.

Think I may just try it anyway.... With 1 addition. I will install the Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer also.

Great guide btw!!!!!

Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Hmmm, I tried to paste the link....won't work. It's in the irv2 forum. In the early pages of the CHF forum. You can easily find it if you search the thread itself. , I was quite interested but then saw a few folks complaining about bushings and links only lasting a short time after. So, I simply stopped reading about it until I saw this on the form.

I did ask Steve Strombough from FR last year if they recommend this? He simply said that altering the vehicle from factory specs is not recommended and could not assure me the warranty would be unaffected.

So that's why I simply asked if this was since updated or proven incorrect.

Think I may just try it anyway.... With 1 addition. I will install the Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer also.

Great guide btw!!!!!

Thanks,

I also installed the Roadmaster Steering stabilizer when doing this mod. I still need to take it back out and finish centering though as it pulls slightly to the right. I took it out on the interstate after doing both mods and it handle a lot better. I ran at 65 and was just barely pushed by a couple of semi trucks, before they would nearly push me off the road going 65. I think after I finish centering the Steering stabilizer I shouldn't have any push - I was slightly being pushed in the direction that the stabilizer was pulling.

BTW you will need the RBK9 bracket Kit if it is a 2015 F53 18K Chassis
To loosen the nuts/bolts to attach the bracket you will need 15mm and 18mm - 18m deep socket and 15mm wrench on back and 18mm wrench and 15mm standard socket on the front as you cannot fit a socket in on that side. you will need a 3/4" wrench and 3/4" deep socket for the two large bolts that attach the stabilizer at each end and a 9/16" deep socket for the two U-Bolts....this is all assuming that your chassis is the same as mine.

Also, my chassis had the factory installed front track bar on the driver side so I had to install the bracket on the passenger side

Well worth the money!!!!

Hope this helps,
Weldon
Old 04-27-2015, 08:01 PM   #12

If you were to use the proper links. Where would you get them, and what are the part numbers?
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:05 PM   #13

I'll bet urethane bushings are 10 times stronger.
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #14

I think Hellwig 7962 is the adjustable links someone used but not 100% sure
Old 04-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #15

Can anyone tell me if the couch rides rougher after doing the CHF?
Brewster McFrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:22 PM   #16

It seems to ride the same to me
Old 04-29-2015, 09:19 PM   #17
Certified Curmudgeon

Nice Guide WGFR3
This from my own experience:
I did the CHF on my 2014 F-53 18k chassis last year. I noticed some "Clunking" immediately following the adjustment.
I believe the clunking was caused by the minimal deflection angle created by moving the stock link to the "firm" position.
To remedy this issue before the bushings were destroyed I installed a set of Hellwig 7962 Adjustable Links. I set the links to 12 5/8" which duplicated the deflection angle presented by the stock links in the "soft" position. This eliminated the clunking while providing the roll stability I desired. I suppose you could say that it is a Not so CHF any more however, it solved all of the problems at a reasonable cost. I have since driven 12,000+ miles without any problem. As an added bonus, the Hellwigs have better bushings and are larger than the OEM links.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #18

Yes, thank you, so I guess the hellwig interchanged with the ford parts ok? I was curious about that. Thanks for sharing

Weldon
Old 04-29-2015, 09:39 PM   #19
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGFR3 View Post
Yes, thank you, so I guess the hellwig interchanged with the ford parts ok? I was curious about that. Thanks for sharing

Weldon
The links came with all of the hardware required for installation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	75681  
Old 04-30-2015, 04:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
The links came with all of the hardware required for installation.

Cool, thanks, and thanks for the pic

Weldon