Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2021, 10:02 AM   #1

Converter not charging my batteries (title edited)

Hi. My inverter is putting out 13.5 volts but its not reaching my batteries. So both batteries are depleted. Is there is breaker or fuse to check and where? Is a FR3 DS25. Thanks
Cay0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:07 AM   #2

Converter? Inverter uses batteries to make 120 vac.
Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:08 AM   #3

Inverter alone does not charge your batteries could you mean Converter or a Inverter/Charger. Could you provide more info on what Model of "Inverter" ect.. to get a better answer
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:29 AM   #4

Do you have a battery disconnect switch?
Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cay0004 View Post
Hi. My inverter is putting out 13.5 volts but its not reaching my batteries. So both batteries are depleted. Is there is breaker or fuse to check and where? Is a FR3 DS25. Thanks
Hi Cay0004
Your converter output of 13.5 volts indicates that it is in "float" mode. I am curious as to where in the circuit (system) you measured this voltage? This is the normal mode when connected to fully charged batteries. What is the voltage as measured across the battery terminals?
Mobile Palace is a 25-ft Prism on a 2015 Sprinter with 200-watts roof solar.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." John Steinbeck
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:01 PM   #6

I measured the voltage at my inverter/charger output 13.5. At my batteries I'm, getting 4.8-5 v. At my fuse box Im getting 13.5 in but nothing out. I verify all my fuses at the battery control center and they are all good.But in that control center box their is lot more stuff then fuses. Any Idea what to check?
Old 10-04-2021, 12:46 PM   #7

yes I do
Old 10-04-2021, 12:49 PM   #8

Converter. Tks
Old 10-04-2021, 01:28 PM   #9

Reverse polarity fuses

One common cause is the reverse polarity fuses. They are near the other fuses but not in the same row.

There still be two of them, 30 or 40 amp, and hence a different color than the others. They don't have LED tell-tales. You have to take them out and look at them.
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 02:04 PM   #10

Quote:
I measured the voltage at my inverter/charger output 13.5. At my batteries I'm, getting 4.8-5 v. At my fuse box Im getting 13.5 in but nothing out. I verify all my fuses at the battery control center and they are all good.But in that control center box their is lot more stuff then fuses. Any Idea what to check?

Your batteries are in serious jeopardy of irreparable damage (if not already). I don't know anything about the FR3 25DS, but it has a battery disconnect. Verify that it is in the proper position.

I did a quick Google search of your model RV. I could be mistaken because I have no experience with your model RV. However, from what little I've read, it seems that the “battery disconnect switch” needs 12-volts to connect the charger to the batteries. Starting the RV engine should allow you to actuate the disconnect switch the correct position. Then again measure the voltage at the batteries.

Failing that, then it might be helpful to post photographs of the fuse box and control center box so that more experienced readers might join this conversation.

I found this during my brief search, perhaps it will be helpful: Battery disconnect switch
Mobile Palace is a 25-ft Prism on a 2015 Sprinter with 200-watts roof solar.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." John Steinbeck
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 03:40 PM   #11

Quote:
I helped a camper with same problem you have. Between the two of us and a lot of trial and error we determined the problem to be the BATTERY CONTROL CENTER (also called relay) a box about 5x7" right above the battery box. We removed the cover and found there was good voltage in but nothing to the batteries. That was the extent of our knowledge so we left it and he later e-mailed me that an rv mechanic determined that to be the problem and replaced the unit. I recall the battery control connect switch by the front door was not tripping on properly and was disconnecting the batteries because the battery control center was bad. The battery control connect must make a positive click and the light must come on.

Wish I could remember exactly what we did but that was a few years ago and I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer nowadays. Anyway hope this helps and good luck.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:04 PM   #12

Quote:
FR3 Battery Control Center Schematic 5-31-16 11796.pdf.

Your Converter is working fine & supplying the 13.5v.

I sounds like battery disconnect switch is OFF. The relay is in the BCC & gets power from your batteries to toggle ON.

Start your engine & check if the battery disconnect switch will turn on.

If it does, it is time to get new batteries.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:01 AM   #13

If your FR3 BCC functions the same as a Georgetown the engine alternator will charge the coach batteries regardless the battery disconnect switch position. One item you might check to not be open is the circled 50amp CB. I think it's supposed to be an auto reset CB but they do fail. Just a thought.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FR3 Battery Control Center2.pdf (477.4 KB, 53 views)
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, inverter