Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2016, 06:53 AM   #1

Deciding on new FR3 29DS or Georgetown 270S?

This forum has been a good source of feedback! I am considering getting a new 2017 270S or FR3 29DS. The FR3 has a "better" floor plan (more storage) for my needs, but I feel the 270S has better "quality" (imho - roof, appliances, counter tops) plus 2 feet smaller - hence less storage, ...

It was brought to my attention that the 2017 model line for Georgetown is being totally overhauled for 2018. All of the Georgetowns will fit into 1 of 3 new models GT3, GT5, GT7. Georgetown will become GT5 and XL will become GT7.

So the dilemma is wether to order a 2017 now or wait until the 2018s are available late spring. I am not in a rush so I can wait, but I have a decent TI (not great) on my TT right now. Or should I get the FR3?

Is there anything anyone wishes was better, upgraded, ... on their 270S?

Are there any problems I should know about?
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:06 AM   #2

What I've always been told is to pick based on floor plan that suites you the best. Everything else can be upgraded if needed, minus the type of roof used. I wish a lot of things were upgraded or better, but we weren't willing to fork over the money for those amenities. Hope you find what your looking for.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:16 AM   #3

Deciding on new FR3 29DS or Georgetown 270S?

KansasFR3, Thanks for your Input. Everything is a tradeoff. Both models will fit my needs/desires. I'm just getting down to the final decision on model. Looking for info I possibly didn't consider that others may have in order to reach it.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:29 PM   #4

We have a 2017 FR3 29DS and love it.

I wish the bed had room on the side like the georgetown does, I find it hard to get in the bed, but the bedroom has more storage in the 29DS.

I wish the 29DS had cup holders in the front like the georgetown

The outdoor kitchen in the 29DS takes up a lot of storage room.

Our 29DS has been at the dealer for over a month for warranty repairs including, air conditioning leak into motorhome, replace propane detector, various trim pieces broke off, slide had to be fixed, furnace ducts had to be replaced, we are trying to get a replacement couch it opens every time we drive the motorhome plus it ripped on the side. I could go on and on but I guess all motorhomes have their problems.

We also got the 7 year extended warranty

Best of luck to you in your search
Luannr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:07 PM   #5

Luannr, THANKS, that is what I was looking for. Last thing is to disparage anyone - My eyes, floorplan, and some features say FR3, but my gut was telling me Georgetown.

The higher grade appliances, counter top, roof, ... say cost cutting has not hit the Georgetown model - Yet. However, the entire Georgetown line is getting a make over in 2018. GT3, GT5, GT7 will be the new names. Georgetown will be labeled GT5, Georgetown XL will be GT7. The few details I have discovered is new floor plans (not final or released yet, counter tops will be 1/4" vs 1/2" thick - Bad Move IMHO).

None of the RVs I have looked at have an outside kitchen comparable to my 25FKS TT (Cooktop, Sink, & small elec refr that I removed // also has an additional freestanding BBQ), some have no Outside K. I will miss that a lot, but ... Being able to use the inside while travelling is the offset price I have to pay for any disadvantage the RV may have.

A real Plus - Believe it or not, I will probably get 20-30% better gas mileage too.

Personally, I have fixed a few items on my TT (myself - FR sent me the parts). I am learning that QC is not that high in the entire industry.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:05 PM   #6

We never even looked at the Georgetown, none were available in our area.
I agree about the outside kitchen in the FR3 29DS, just a sink, cooler, TV and a propane grill. Would be great if you could combine the 2 coaches.
Luannr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25FKS View Post
This forum has been a good source of feedback! I am considering getting a new 2017 270S or FR3 29DS. The FR3 has a "better" floor plan (more storage) for my needs, but I feel the 270S has better "quality" (imho - roof, appliances, counter tops) plus 2 feet smaller - hence less storage, ...

(gap)

Is there anything anyone wishes was better, upgraded, ... on their 270S?

Are there any problems I should know about?
We have a 2014 Georgetown 270s. If you remove the baffles from the dedicated "service" bays (a simple process, they are fastened in with the ubiquitous #2 square drive screws) You will find quite a bit of usable space, for instance I store my folding ladder, flag pole, fishing gear, broom and water bucket for my dog pen in the pump/freshwater tank compartment. There is room for a #10 bag of charcoal beside the hot water heater etc. Of course the slide out tray is wonderful. We removed the ladder from that compartment and carry more fishing rods there. (Don't use the bunk bed, no kids.) Also cut the bed down to a queen so we can actually walk around it instead of slithering. There is also a lot of waste space around the driver's seat but we have not gotten around to taking advantage of that yet.

You don't want to get me started on what we would like upgraded - we have done quite a bit ourselves, like removing the U shaped booth (we thought we would love it, -didn't.) Put 2 small recliners in there and had handy nephew finish out with a chase along the floor for wires and seat belts and a built in end table at the edge to cover the slide connections. We are much happier with that arrangement. We made a larger table for between the front seats to use for real eating.
Sandy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #8

Sandy,

Thanks for the great info! In my decision I was wondering (you seemed to answer with baffles removal) if I would need additional storage. BTW, where are the service bays you mention?
Old 11-18-2016, 02:28 PM   #9

The pump bay is just in front of the large sliding tray on passenger rear, hot water tank about midway up passenger side. There is usable space in nearly all the service areas. I have tucked a quart of oil for the generator and a quart of fluid for the Jack pump beside and behind the jack pump reservoir, my black tank flushing hose rides just fine coiled up and laying in the framework between the water bay and the propane tank. Next project is removing the "house" built in filter to remove the aggravation it creates around getting a sewer hose in and out of that little bitty storage behind it. Also intend to tie some large PVC across the under side from propane area to hold additional length of sewer hose.
Sandy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:33 PM   #10

Thanks Again. I accidently closed IE and lost the detailed reply I was sending you. Serious flaw in all forum software!

I am a marine industry OEM. The RV industry is literally a half century behind. No pun intended, but they walk on water compared to what I have seen in my limited exposure so far.

I made my TT 100% off-grid capable. Assuming I get a 270S, I will do it to that also. I will be glad to show/assist you should you desire likewise. You can get an idea if you look at the link to my company's website that shows what I did. The pictures are intentionally small, but offline I can show you larger ones.

I spent all weekend at my son's school running the TT 100% on the battery bank (yes, I still have 120Vac available (air conditioning, hair blower, coffee, ... via an inverter) and never ran the generator!

Have a great Thanksgiving ---

ZRD - Travel Trailer and RV Services

Old 11-18-2016, 06:40 PM   #11
Back On The Go

Don't know that I will be much help, but I, too, have seen the appointments differences between Georgetowns and FR3s. We chose the 2016 270S and bought one the end of Dec. 2015. Floor plans are probably the most important factor for all puchases, but we were looking for something that had king bed, shorter than 30', 2 Air Conditioners with heat pumps, and pretty nice appointments inside and out. The 270S fit the bill for us. There have been some warranty issues but these have been taken care of - 3rd motorhome for us so we expected some required fixes. We're getting ready to roll out for a Thanksgiving trip and wouldn't trade for our Houselet as it gets into any state park, parking lot, etc. towing the little Ford C-Max hybrid. The only mods we have done are extremely limited such as towel bars, key hooks, paper towel holder etc. You can wait forever for the "new model" changes on RVs, computers, cars, and all. At some point one just dives in and gets what is best for them right now. Have fun in your new motorhome whatever your choice is.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:29 PM   #12

We got the 280DS which was the predecessor to the 270... and started out looking at the FR3's. I think the upgrades you get in the G'town line are well worth the differential and we've had excellent service from our coach. Personally I like the security and maintenance free aspects of the fiberglass roof. I know I would have already ripped a rubber one up on tree branches.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:40 AM   #13

salwolfe & camaraderie - Fabulous input to my decision!!! Every reply has been much help. I finally came to the same conclusion. It is going to be the 270S. Shared knowledge is what makes everything great - not a political statement, just a thank you.

The membrane roof on the FR3 was a deal breaker almost from the beginning. The floor plan is the only item that kept it in the running. I know that the fiberglass roof is far superior, but thanks to camaraderie, I never knew of or considered the tree problem - that is the real plus of talking to people on any forum.

Regarding floor plans, the FR3 seemed to take advantage of the extra 2 feet wonderfully with features and additional storage, but under 30 feet is even more important when driving on tight mountain roads, ... with switchbacks. Some will not allow you to even enter if you are over 30 feet.

Tomorrow is the day we will pull the knot. It will be up to 1 of a few dealers that will agree to our offer and accept to place the order. Come early next year we should be in great company!

I just noticed your signatures - I don't plan on towing a car, but bicycles or scooters will be an option.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:41 AM   #14

Quote:
salwolfe & camaraderie - Fabulous input to my decision!!! Every reply has been much help. I finally came to the same conclusion. It is going to be the 270S. Shared knowledge is what makes everything great - not a political statement, just a thank you.

The membrane roof on the FR3 was a deal breaker almost from the beginning. The floor plan is the only item that kept it in the running. I know that the fiberglass roof is far superior, but thanks to camaraderie, I never knew of or considered the tree problem - that is the real plus of talking to people on any forum.

Regarding floor plans, the FR3 seemed to take advantage of the extra 2 feet wonderfully with features and additional storage, but under 30 feet is even more important when driving on tight mountain roads, ... with switchbacks. Some will not allow you to even enter if you are over 30 feet.

Tomorrow is the day we will pull the knot. It will be up to 1 of a few dealers that will agree to our offer and accept to place the order. Come early next year we should be in great company!

I just noticed your signatures - I don't plan on towing a car, but bicycles or scooters will be an option.
Glad to be of help. If you are considering options in your order... consider the slide out tray for the rear storage and the fantastic fan. I was talked into them and I'm glad I was!
I've got a thread on my scooter mounting somewhere around here...so if you end up wanting to look at them seriously...let me know and I'll find the link! The beauty of the short coaches without a tow is that you can go almost anywhere easily and you don't have to plan your exit before you enter or unhook before backing in. Good luck with the negotiations!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:14 PM   #15

Again lost my reply ARGH!!!!

Traveling with a 29' Class A should not require a dedicated tow vehicle. Aside from 30' Switchback restrictions, ... parking lengthwise in 2 spots (away from everyone) should be fine for around town driving.

Here is my final configuration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Options sm.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	125459  
Old 11-30-2016, 07:40 AM   #16

Ordered 270S

Thanks for replies. I decided on a 270S and ordered it yesterday. Fiberglass vs membrane roof, upgraded appliances, solid countertops, and Critical Under 30' were some of the deciding factors. I do love the somewhat better floorplan of the FR3 29DS and extra storage, but that is expected in a larger 31' RV... Both are great. It was a tight race, but the 270S was the better fit overall for me. Talk to all in the Georgetown Community after PDI. BTW, if anyone has a good PDI or items PDIs miss feel free to let me know. I'll started a new dedicated thread for posts here Ordered 2017 270S
Old 11-30-2016, 07:58 AM   #17
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Again lost my reply ARGH!!!!

Traveling with a 29' Class A should not require a dedicated tow vehicle. Aside from 30' Switchback restrictions, ... parking lengthwise in 2 spots (away from everyone) should be fine for around town driving.

Here is my final configuration.
I guess if your are willing to unhook all connections every time you want to go to town or sight seeing then I guess your fine driving your MH. Personally I'd think you would go with a toad. I'd find this a bit inconvenient. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #18

Opinions are just that. How, Why, ... are for each to decide and do as they see fit. No need to ----- My plans do not include hooking up and living there (anything over 2 days). Also, I am 100% off grid capable. Hookups will be non existent. For those that want to, have at it, enjoy. A toad is wonderful.... BTW, both vehicles are capable of having a Toad.

This thread was not on yes or no to any toad, it was plus and minus of 270S vs FR3. Again in a positive light to make the best decision for me. The outcome could be 180 for someone else. They are personal opinions.

I forgot to add on my previous post - Case / Thread Closed. Thanks all for the input.

Tags
georgetown