Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2017, 12:29 PM   #1

Direct TV Hook Up

We just purchased a used 2016 Forest River FR3 30 DS motor home. We have a King Quest dome for our Direct tv box. Is the coach satellite ready or will we have to do something else to get the cable to work? We're not at all tech savvy😬
ShelleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #2

I just did a quick search for your rig and from what I read they were not satellite ready. You may want to use the search box at the top right there are articles on your rig and how to make them satellite capable. Hopefully someone with more knowledge then me will chime in.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:32 PM   #3
edm

We made our 2016 FR3 30ds satellite ready by installing a cable box on the right side near the battery box. In the front cabinet we ran the cable along the inside of the cabnet and through the floor. The receiver is installed on the top shelf of the cabnet. I drilled a hole through the back of the cabnet just behind the tv. That is were I picked up the power for the receiver. Also I ran the hdmi cable through the same hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	136951   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	326.7 KB
ID:	136952   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	136953  
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #4

Not familiar with your antenna, so Im going to take a guess here. Outside or in a wet bay there should be two coax connectors. One for sat, another for cable. Might be labled differently, but it is what it is. Try connecting to the sat in. Inside near the main TV should be two coax connections also. One for roof top antenna and one for sat. Connect your receiver there and see what happens. Dont be too surprised if nothing works as factories use cheap RG59 coax and lota of connectors/splitters that all tend to degrade the signal. Wiring using high quality RG6 coax and approved connectors its not a hard job to do a straight run from somewhere convenient out side to inside to where you want your sat box.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #5
edm

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
Not familiar with your antenna, so Im going to take a guess here. Outside or in a wet bay there should be two coax connectors. One for sat, another for cable. Might be labled differently, but it is what it is. Try connecting to the sat in. Inside near the main TV should be two coax connections also. One for roof top antenna and one for sat. Connect your receiver there and see what happens. Dont be too surprised if nothing works as factories use cheap RG59 coax and lota of connectors/splitters that all tend to degrade the signal. Wiring using high quality RG6 coax and approved connectors its not a hard job to do a straight run from somewhere convenient out side to inside to where you want your sat box.
The 2016 FR3's are not wired for satellite. They have to be wired.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #6

There was another post on this a few months ago.
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:23 PM   #7

Directv hook up

I recommend you contact Directv. They will send a tech out and make the proper connections. They charged me $50.00 and the tech took one of my external cable connections and wired up my system with my King satellite unit.
He connected everything and made sure the entire system worked properly. Worth the $50.00 to me.
Good luck,

Jim
jpaskell is offline   Reply With Quote