Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2018, 03:12 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 604
Do I have an inverter

I have a 2015 FR3 30 Ds and I'm going to install solar panels....

Let's put it this way.... I am going to struggle my way through it as I have no idea what I'm doing it... However, I'm gonna figure this out... Lol.

So, do I have an inverter ? And if so. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3395.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	379.7 KB
ID:	164394will I need another one
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:33 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 316
Unless an inverter was added later the MH does not have one. The inverter would take power from the house batteries and "invert" it into 120V AC.
The solar panels charge the 12V house batteries, and need a charge controller for that. The two systems both connect to the batteries but have no other interaction.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:43 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGerman View Post
Unless an inverter was added later the MH does not have one. The inverter would take power from the house batteries and "invert" it into 120V AC.
The solar panels charge the 12V house batteries, and need a charge controller for that. The two systems both connect to the batteries but have no other interaction.


Are you speaking of the FR3 ? Or of motorhomes ? Or of fifth wheels... I'm specifically asking for the FR3. As it already has AC and Dc....So I'm assuming it has an inverter.
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:54 AM   #4
OYO
Senior Member
 
OYO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 900
Do you have AC/120 when your unit is not plugged in to AC from an outside source?

If yes, you have an inverter. If no, you do not have an inverter.
__________________
2016 Rockwood A213HW
2019 GMC Sierra Crew Cab Denali 6.2

Craig
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:01 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Posts: 4,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by colourful64 View Post
I have a 2015 FR3 30 Ds and I'm going to install solar panels....

Let's put it this way.... I am going to struggle my way through it as I have no idea what I'm doing it... However, I'm gonna figure this out... Lol.

So, do I have an inverter ? And if so. Attachment 164394will I need another one
Not unless you have a residential fridge.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:23 AM   #6
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 27,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by colourful64 View Post
As it already has AC and Dc....So I'm assuming it has an inverter.
Maybe these links will help, as it seems you may not fully understand RV electrical systems.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nt-152813.html

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

What if UFO's are just billionaires from other planets?
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
rk06382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,518
12DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourful64 View Post
I have a 2015 FR3 30 Ds and I'm going to install solar panels....

Let's put it this way.... I am going to struggle my way through it as I have no idea what I'm doing it... However, I'm gonna figure this out... Lol.

So, do I have an inverter ? And if so. Attachment 164394will I need another one
No.

FR3 12DC Wiring diagram.pdf: FR3 12DC Wiring diagram.pdf

I have purchased a Samlex EVO-2212 Watt Pure Sine Inverter/Charger to install in my battery bay. I also plan to double the batteries & add solar panels.

The EVO-2212 has an Three inputs: Shore power, Generator power and Solar power. It will output 2200 Watts.

I need to use a CPAP at night and my wife wants to be able to boondock.
__________________
Robert
2018 FR3 28DS | Boondock 99% of the time
Samlex EVO-3012 Inverter/Charger | 600ah Battle Born LiFePO4 | Victron BMV-712 & MPPT 100/50 | 800W Renogy Solar | Fan-Tastic Fans | Blue Ox TruCenter | SnapPads | SumoSprings | Koni Shocks | RVLock
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:01 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Posts: 4,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
No.

FR3 12DC Wiring diagram.pdf: Attachment 164409

I have purchased a Samlex EVO-2212 Watt Pure Sine Inverter/Charger to install in my battery bay. I also plan to double the batteries & add solar panels.

The EVO-2212 has an Three inputs: Shore power, Generator power and Solar power. It will output 2200 Watts.

I need to use a CPAP at night and my wife wants to be able to boondock.
check you cpap power supply. Some are 12 dc volt out. Mine is 24 volt dc.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
rk06382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
check you cpap power supply. Some are 12 dc volt out. Mine is 24 volt dc.
I have a 12v DC adapter for my CPAP but there is no 12v DC outlets in bedroom.

(also my wife wants to watch the TV)
__________________
Robert
2018 FR3 28DS | Boondock 99% of the time
Samlex EVO-3012 Inverter/Charger | 600ah Battle Born LiFePO4 | Victron BMV-712 & MPPT 100/50 | 800W Renogy Solar | Fan-Tastic Fans | Blue Ox TruCenter | SnapPads | SumoSprings | Koni Shocks | RVLock
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:48 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 363
INverter/solar panels

I hope you have Facebook. Search for Brian Boone, or Got Solar? and look over his pages for solar boondocking. Lots of hand drawn systems and trouble shooting as well as advice from people in the know, and people who ask the sort of questions you are asking. On the pages on the left side of the screen is a section called "files". There are parts lists for small, medium, and large systems.
You can also post the nomenclature off the data plate and someone will know if it is a converter charger or just what it is.
Simple suggestion, if you have a charge controller for the panels, simply hook them up to the batteries, and start charging right away. Worry about converting to 120 later, after you check out capacities of your system as it stands.
My system was installed by Brian Boone last year, and it works perfectly, charges the batteries, and can run 120 volts AC. Can run the TV, the ice maker and charge computer and cell phones, and still have enough 12 volt to run the C-pap machines. And still have hot batteries in the morning.
During the installation, I added two 12 volt plugs on the side of the bed frame, for the C-pap machines, bought an adapter for mine, and a small inverter for the Wife's.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:48 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Delco Bobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Media, PA
Posts: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
I have a 12v DC adapter for my CPAP but there is no 12v DC outlets in bedroom.

(also my wife wants to watch the TV)
I used my CPAP in the RV for the first time a couple of nights ago. We were experiencing a power outage in our area.

I had the inverter on and batteries were fully charged. Was sleeping peacefully until about 1:30 when the inverter started sounding a “low voltage alarm.” I had to dig out the manual to know that.

We had been running the RV generator for days to power our house heater and fridge. I wanted to give it a rest in the wee hours.

But I had to start the generator to power the CPAP, had a wonderful sleep until I got a little cold at 5:30. Turned up the heat a bit and was about to go back to sleep. I noticed a text message from my wife that power was restored around 2AM. So then I had to go into the house a switch the heater and fridge back to the electric grid.

Bottom line I only got at most a couple of hours of CPAP time on my two house batteries.

I bought a portable battery pack/ jump starter for this kind of situation. It had enough juice to light up the CPAP but not enough to blow air.
__________________
2017 Dynamax REV 24RB
2018 Ford F-150

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:00 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dayton Ohio
Posts: 2,224
On my boat I could get two nights out of a series 27 battery with my cpap.

Less than a night on two batteries sounds like the converter was running or something.

Mine was a 12 volt or 110 AC cpap unit. 12-15 years ago.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:10 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Delco Bobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Media, PA
Posts: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
On my boat I could get two nights out of a series 27 battery with my cpap.

Less than a night on two batteries sounds like the converter was running or something.

Mine was a 12 volt or 110 AC cpap unit. 12-15 years ago.
The inverter was running and supplying power to the TV and probably other things. Nothing was on,just on standby, but the CPAP was running.

I should probably install a 12 volt outlet and get an adapter for the CPAP. Then I can leave the inverter off.
__________________
2017 Dynamax REV 24RB
2018 Ford F-150

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:24 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 17
Cpap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
No.

FR3 12DC Wiring diagram.pdf: Attachment 164409

I have purchased a Samlex EVO-2212 Watt Pure Sine Inverter/Charger to install in my battery bay. I also plan to double the batteries & add solar panels.

The EVO-2212 has an Three inputs: Shore power, Generator power and Solar power. It will output 2200 Watts.

I need to use a CPAP at night and my wife wants to be able to boondock.
I upgraded to twin Interstate deep cycle battery's and upgraded my converter to 40 amp, I run my Cpap all night (with a 12volt adapter) with no problem and my heater. my Honda eu2000 charges me back up in 30 to 60 minutes the next morning and I have been out boondockin for up to 10 days. I wouldn't do it without my generator tho. solar is nice it might recover if you have several large high output ones. just sayin what works for me.
Miller A_A sport 385 RLTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:50 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
I hope you have Facebook. Search for Brian Boone, or Got Solar? and look over his pages for solar boondocking. Lots of hand drawn systems and trouble shooting as well as advice from people in the know, and people who ask the sort of questions you are asking. On the pages on the left side of the screen is a section called "files". There are parts lists for small, medium, and large systems.
You can also post the nomenclature off the data plate and someone will know if it is a converter charger or just what it is.
Simple suggestion, if you have a charge controller for the panels, simply hook them up to the batteries, and start charging right away. Worry about converting to 120 later, after you check out capacities of your system as it stands.
My system was installed by Brian Boone last year, and it works perfectly, charges the batteries, and can run 120 volts AC. Can run the TV, the ice maker and charge computer and cell phones, and still have enough 12 volt to run the C-pap machines. And still have hot batteries in the morning.
During the installation, I added two 12 volt plugs on the side of the bed frame, for the C-pap machines, bought an adapter for mine, and a small inverter for the Wife's.


Thank you hankpac... Good info here... Can I ask how many watts did you install
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:05 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dayton Ohio
Posts: 2,224
Currently, for convince, every electric item in an rv has some standby amperage usage!

Not like the old days when off was off. You had to wait for stuff to,warm up.

Plus inverters are not 100% efficient. There are $200 and $1000 inverters of the same output. Read specs.

With the complexity of rv's systems now, one must be very handy!

Unless you have a lot of battery capacity central inverters need to be off at bedtime. Many have a remote switch for inside the rv.

My dealer charged me $100 for a 12 volt outlet near the bed. The big inverter is off at bedtime.

The 12 volt cord for my cpap was $30.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:06 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 604
I'm very handy... Flipped three houses while my husband worked full time... Lol.
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
lickem66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
I have a 12v DC adapter for my CPAP but there is no 12v DC outlets in bedroom.

(also my wife wants to watch the TV)
I too use a CPAP and before we took delivery, I had our dealer install a 12v plug in the bedroom near the bed so I could plug my CPAP adapter in when boondocking.
__________________
2016 FR3 28DS
Past 2012 Forest River Rockwood 2104.

lickem66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
inverter

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 AM.