Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2018, 09:40 AM   #1

Dometic 300 toilet odor

Don’t know if this problem is occurring in more FR3 motorhome than ours but we are most unhappy that it occurred at all.
Apparently several years Ago Dometic was having problems with the design of their 300 model toilet- it allowed urine to be trapped in one part of the toilet, leading to an intense odor of urine that no amount of cleaning or scrubbing would erase. There are posts on the technical part of this website describing the problem and the fact that Dometic would send a replacement. I believe the latest posts re this problem were 2015-16.
We purchased a 2018 FR3 30 dis in the fall of 2017, and took delivery in April 2018. After a couple of camping trips we encountered that odour and nothing took it away. I found the posts about the problem on the FR website; contacted Heidi at Forest River, and within 3 days had a new toilet. (We opted to upgrade to a 320 at a cost of $100)
My comment is- why are these models still being installed in new RVs? Are they hoping no one will notice? That hubby will take the blame? Is this another example of manufacturers really don’t give a damn?
Versus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus3 View Post
Don’t know if this problem is occurring in more FR3 motorhome than ours but we are most unhappy that it occurred at all.
Apparently several years Ago Dometic was having problems with the design of their 300 model toilet- it allowed urine to be trapped in one part of the toilet, leading to an intense odor of urine that no amount of cleaning or scrubbing would erase. There are posts on the technical part of this website describing the problem and the fact that Dometic would send a replacement. I believe the latest posts re this problem were 2015-16.
We purchased a 2018 FR3 30 dis in the fall of 2017, and took delivery in April 2018. After a couple of camping trips we encountered that odour and nothing took it away. I found the posts about the problem on the FR website; contacted Heidi at Forest River, and within 3 days had a new toilet. (We opted to upgrade to a 320 at a cost of $100)
My comment is- why are these models still being installed in new RVs? Are they hoping no one will notice? That hubby will take the blame? Is this another example of manufacturers really don’t give a damn?
We have a 2018 30ds we picked up new in January and have noticed occasional odors but when we clean the bowl, it goes away. It was built in January 2018, so maybe they used the improved toilet?
jimlitwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #3

Ours was manufactured in Nov. 2017. Keep an eye on it, and read the posting under Tech Talk. If you want to know if your toilet was defective call Dometic and speak with Heidi. If you give her the serial number she can tell you right away. Good luck!
Old 09-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #4

Thanks! Is the serial number on the toilet somewhere?
Old 09-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #5

Yes it is on a sticker, supposed to located just above the foot pedal on the case. Ours was actually on the underside of the bowl- had to use a mechanic’s mirror to find it!!
Old 09-15-2018, 11:29 AM   #6

Just spent 10 minutes with a mirror and my phone looking for that sticker but nothing. Can't even find the manual among the many they gave me! Not sure I ever got one.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus3 View Post
I make sure water is always left in the bowl to keep the ball gasket wet & sealed. I also apply plumber's waterproof grease on the bottom of the gasket every spring when I de-winterize.

I replaced my Dometic 300 within two weeks after taking delivery of my FR3. My Dometic 320 is solid and does not wobble when you sit on it. I even installed a no-slam toilet seat. I hated hearing a crash going down the road when the lid closed on it own. I am still working on making sure the bathroom door is closed before we start driving.

The Dometic 310 comes with a no-slam toilet seat. Why doesn't the Dometic 320 come with a no-slam toilet seat? (don't answer)

I like my FR3 28DS. Forest River did a great job building it. It is the perfect motorhome floorplan for a price I can afford. Sure mistakes were made in the manufacture. It is assembled by hand.

For example, a couple of weeks ago, I had a slide motor failure. see: Stuck in my Driveway with a dead living room slide motor.

The fault was a bad crimp of the slide motor wire. I fixed it & learned a lot about my slides. I now know how to fix my slides in the process. I am happy with my FR3. I have also done a lot of customization. see below in SIG
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #8

The manual is just a folded sheet of paper- ours was sitting on the bathroom counter. Perhaps call your dealer- if they have a warranty person speak to them. The problem should be covered by warranty; you want to have it looked after sooner than later.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:52 PM   #9

To answer your question Versus, Manufacturers discover all kinds of problems after the fact. ( this applies to many things made in AMERICA)(probably world wide). They always roll the dice telling the dealers the old saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" in other words, those of you (consumers) that scream loud enough, they will take care of what they already know is a problem , other wise they figure the "saps" will pay and it won't cost the manufacturer as much money. I worked for a world known name( not just national) and they would say if the issues ( an engineered problem) arises keep your mouth shut! Try to see if you can just charge them,so that the manufacturer would make it through the warranty period with out to much cost ! You have the old style in your newer rig because; they have lots of inventory in stock , and need to get rid of them. Doesn't matter there is an issue with them!....... No more Company's that really care about their name, and what they sell to the consumers! its all about the bottom line of the accountants books!!! MONEY!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2018, 12:20 PM   #10

We get a strong "bathroom" odor whenever we go camping for 4-5 days or more in high heat areas. We use deodorizer bags in the tank from the beginning of the trip. I can't seem to located where the smell comes from. I'm wondering if our toilet needs a wax seal like on a home toilet. hmmm
Old 09-24-2018, 01:00 PM   #11

Just as an FYI to everyone that stumbles upon this thread in the future (since Versus 3 already resolved it by buying a new unit). I went to Dometic's site back in June of this year and filled out a form to contact them about the recall they previously had on the 300 model for odor. It ended up going something like this:

Hello. I've recently begun researching a strong odor problem with the Dometic toilet in my 2017 Forest River RV, and came across several articles about a previous recall of the same model 300 unit I have. Even with regular treatments of my black water tank, our guests and I have noticed that the odor when flushing is very strong. Before I proceed with purchasing a replacement toilet on my own, I figured I'd check with you directly to see if you show my particular unit (SN: 63389679) as being one of the models that should have been factory "fixed" already or not. Let me know... Thank you!!

Response:
Hi Scott, Yes, your toilet has the new bowl and plate seal designs that have been implemented. I’m happy to send you a replacement model 300. Reply with the following information.
· First and last name
· Telephone number
· Complete shipping address
· Toilet/RV date of purchase
· Toilet serial number

I had the new one arrive in three days, so you cannot argue with that being some great customer service on their part. For those wondering, I do not know for sure if this made a difference or not, because I still have not installed it yet. The addition of a Camco Cyclone Sewer Plumbing Vent and excessive cleaning seemed to help curb the smell, short of when actually flushing and having the ceiling vent fan going that is. Attached is a picture of what the label looks like on the base of the 300 model. Good luck to all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170519_201328.jpg
Views:	1011
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	187426  
Mud Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:05 PM   #12

I just want to add to this thread. If anyone is tired of this problem with this toilet. I called dometic and got my replacement toilet, they have great customer service and sent me a brand new toilet. However the new toilet has the exact same problem only like 15 time worse. It filled that lower shell in less than 2 weeks. So rather than complain again about what is clearly a defect with this design, I took the old one apart and pressure washed all the individual parts while it was disassembled. The flaw is where the lower basin mates with the stand. It's coupled together with a squarish type o ring. I assume the plastic becomes distorted when pressure is applied via sitting and allows fluid to leak past. The fix I have done that happens to be working flawlessly is scilicone sealant, I used the automotive orange high temp. I applied a 1/8" bead to both plastic surfaces and allowed the o ring to smear the sealant into its resting place. I allowed this to cure for 24hours. My rig is now smell free in the restroom. Be cautious of the floor flange mine is made of plastic and yea it broke. I have been chasing problems left and right on this 2017 forest river Cherokee. If I were to get another trailer I know what to look for, wouldn't want to make the same mistake twice.
Freshfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Hunter View Post
Just as an FYI to everyone that stumbles upon this thread in the future (since Versus 3 already resolved it by buying a new unit). I went to Dometic's site back in June of this year and filled out a form to contact them about the recall they previously had on the 300 model for odor. It ended up going something like this:

Hello. I've recently begun researching a strong odor problem with the Dometic toilet in my 2017 Forest River RV, and came across several articles about a previous recall of the same model 300 unit I have. Even with regular treatments of my black water tank, our guests and I have noticed that the odor when flushing is very strong. Before I proceed with purchasing a replacement toilet on my own, I figured I'd check with you directly to see if you show my particular unit (SN: 63389679) as being one of the models that should have been factory "fixed" already or not. Let me know... Thank you!!

Response:
Hi Scott, Yes, your toilet has the new bowl and plate seal designs that have been implemented. I’m happy to send you a replacement model 300. Reply with the following information.
· First and last name
· Telephone number
· Complete shipping address
· Toilet/RV date of purchase
· Toilet serial number

I had the new one arrive in three days, so you cannot argue with that being some great customer service on their part. For those wondering, I do not know for sure if this made a difference or not, because I still have not installed it yet. The addition of a Camco Cyclone Sewer Plumbing Vent and excessive cleaning seemed to help curb the smell, short of when actually flushing and having the ceiling vent fan going that is. Attached is a picture of what the label looks like on the base of the 300 model. Good luck to all!
I absolutely could not find a sticker on the base of my toilet anywhere. Have looked with mirrors completely around it. Any suggestions? I have a 2018 30ds. Thanks
Old 10-01-2018, 12:02 PM   #14

Dometic 300 toilet odor

This will go in the “wish I would have known” file. My wife and I cleaned our bathroom like a couple of maniacs trying to get rid of the odor while assuming it was from our disabled adult manchild missing the toilet. We ended up replacing the toilet on our own with a ceramic toilet, still worth it, which is when I discovered the trapped urine in the back of the 300 toilet where there is an opening, but again assumed it was from the boy missing. 🤦🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:03 PM   #15

Thank you to the people that did the leg work on this issue. I was going nuts over the last week trying to fix this problem. My wife is a notorious clean freak and the strong odor was driving us all crazy.

Our trailer is a ‘19 purchased in early 18. So this issue is still very relevant. We are at 44 nights camped over the last two years before this issue really reared it’s ugly head.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:20 PM   #16
Trailer Park Supervisor

So far so good with our trailer built in November '18. 5 long weekend trips only though.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:12 PM   #17

We have had that smell for over 6 months and I've just found out it's the same problem. My unit is now 1 month past the 2 year warranty so I'm wondering if they will honor it. I'm planning upgrading to the porcelain model if they will let me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlitwin View Post
I absolutely could not find a sticker on the base of my toilet anywhere. Have looked with mirrors completely around it. Any suggestions? I have a 2018 30ds. Thanks
fredoe61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredoe61 View Post
We have had that smell for over 6 months and I've just found out it's the same problem. My unit is now 1 month past the 2 year warranty so I'm wondering if they will honor it. I'm planning upgrading to the porcelain model if they will let me.
Call Dometic, they should work with you..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Call Dometic, they should work with you..

X2
Old 03-21-2020, 10:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlitwin View Post
Since you can’t find the model number try this. Look behind your toilet with a mechanics mirror and see if you see an opening. If you can try to peer down into it to see if you can see trapped waste water. I know this may not be possible but just a thought. You May be able to stick your cell phone camera (just the top and hold on to it good) in the hole and take a pic.

But think about it, at home you don’t have to scrub your toilet real good to eliminate odor. Your rv toilet should be the same.

Maybe your sticker fell off. Mine is on the right hand side close to the foot pedal.

If the odor pops up in a bad way (urine, diaper pail, ammonia) it’s not from a dirty toilet bowl and don’t let the DW accuse you of missing the mark..lol

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic