Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2020, 07:48 PM   #1

Door strut mount hollowed out

The gas strut that connects to the door has hollowed out. One screw is gone completely, the other one poppped out after trying to hold all the pressure.

Thoughts on re-mounting? Closer to door jamb? Further away? Longer screws in same hole? Anyone dealt with this?

Griswards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswards View Post
The gas strut that connects to the door has hollowed out. One screw is gone completely, the other one poppped out after trying to hold all the pressure.

Thoughts on re-mounting? Closer to door jamb? Further away? Longer screws in same hole? Anyone dealt with this?

There is a Pop-rivet made that is perfect for things like this.
The rivet has machine screw threads in it. You insert the supplied mandrel into the rivet, install with regular pop-rivet tool, remove mandrel, secure bracket with machine screw (using lock washer in this case).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:37 PM   #3

It is called a RIVNUT and requires a RIVNUT tool. Not too expensive though. It may work for this application.
Kentucky Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
There is a Pop-rivet made that is perfect for things like this.
The rivet has machine screw threads in it. You insert the supplied mandrel into the rivet, install with regular pop-rivet tool, remove mandrel, secure bracket with machine screw (using lock washer in this case).

Went this route with a 8/32 - just needed to drill the hole a touch larger. Thanks for the recommendation! Seems to be much sturdier than it was.
Griswards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:11 AM   #5

Funny as I read this the EXACT same thing has happened to my 2019 33DS.
Now be forewarned I've have to replace my door strut 3 times in 2 years. Yes you read that right!
I think my holes in the door are on it's last legs and looking at that Rivnut, just might be the trick in the future.
Also note the door struts that come from Forrest River in the 33DS are a Signature Strut that is no longer in stock and incredibly hard to find.
I did contact them, and any similar strut will do, the key is Length and Force 20" length 21 lbs, if you keep to those specs, and the ball mount attachment. you can pick up just about any strut.. I picked up two 20/20 struts on Amazon. Pick u 2 because the mount will break. GUARANTEED
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, mount