Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2020, 02:37 PM   #1

Double pane window upgrade?

Has anyone upgraded their windows to make them more energy efficient?

If yes:

What was the approximate cost?

Have you noticed a difference since the upgrade?

Many thanks!
Old 01-12-2020, 03:29 PM   #2

I did use the clear heat shrink window film on my windows when I made a winter trip out west one year. It effectively gave me a double pane window and was easily removable (to open the windows) when warmer weather came.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
I did use the clear heat shrink window film on my windows when I made a winter trip out west one year. It effectively gave me a double pane window and was easily removable (to open the windows) when warmer weather came.

Roger, Wilco!

I will look that stuff up. I bet its more cost effective that replacing all the windows!

Thanks again!
Old 01-12-2020, 05:06 PM   #4

Double pane windows don't help that much. I have see dealers actually call them thermal windows and that's a exaggeration. True thermal windows are sealed with a inert gas between the panes
A good heavy window shade will come close to dual panes. A window quilt would be just as good if not better than dual panes.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET.LEO View Post
Double pane windows don't help that much. I have see dealers actually call them thermal windows and that's a exaggeration. True thermal windows are sealed with a inert gas between the panes
A good heavy window shade will come close to dual panes. A window quilt would be just as good if not better than dual panes.

Agreed on the quilts.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:08 PM   #6

A single pane window has an R-value of about .8, double pane about 1.5-2. Not much of a gain. My RV has double panes; the big advantage seems to in reduced fogging. I've camped in mid-teens with no fog, no frost.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:19 PM   #7

Dual pane vs. low e glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
A single pane window has an R-value of about .8, double pane about 1.5-2. Not much of a gain. My RV has double panes; the big advantage seems to in reduced fogging. I've camped in mid-teens with no fog, no frost.
That is correct, not a lot of insulation value but better resistance to fogging. Dual pane for years (1954-1980) only had dry air in between panes, newer uses Argon or Krypton in combination with low emissivity glass a slight bump from dual pane R 2.2+/-. This is not a pane added, entire pane of glass must be replaced, frame is quite often different also.
windowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:21 PM   #8

A lot of people use reflectex in there windows that don't get opened much when cold weather camping. It is easy to cut to fit snuggly to the inside window frame. You can also use it in the summer to keep the heat out.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
A lot of people use reflectex in there windows that don't get opened much when cold weather camping. It is easy to cut to fit snuggly to the inside window frame. You can also use it in the summer to keep the heat out.

Its cheap too!

I had to google it.....
Old 01-13-2020, 05:36 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGunny View Post
Has anyone upgraded their windows to make them more energy efficient?
No but we did order dual pane windows with the unit. The thinking was it should reduce the condensation problem and it certainly seems to have done that. Zero condensation on the inside when the outside is covered with water droplets. I also was hoping it would reduce the direct sunlight impact somewhat.

On our factory tour the rep said that one thing dual pane windows do is dramatically reduce the wind noise on the front side windows when you're driving. We have no noticeable wind noise but have nothing to compare it with.

Ray
Old 01-13-2020, 06:03 PM   #11

Is OldGunny Army or Navy?
Old 01-13-2020, 06:27 PM   #12

The problem with reflectix is you need to be careful when using it in hot weather. I had a piece of it covering the coach door’s window. The trapped heat melted the window’s seal and the glass pane slipped down. Another time; I had Safelite Glass Co. replace my cracked rv windshield at my campground. I followed their instructions on letting the seal cure. I later used my reflectix windshield cover on it. On the freeway I realized that my windshield was loose. Fortunately, Safelite is all over LA and I was able to get to one of their locations and they reset my windshield.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Is OldGunny Army or Navy?

Marine
Old 01-13-2020, 07:44 PM   #14

Navy Gunners Mate here.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:53 PM   #15

My sister and her husband have a DRV 5er with double pane windows and I noticed absolutely NO difference when we were in the camper in the cold. In fact, it made me wonder why anyone would pay extra for that "upgrade," but maybe double pane windows are standard on Mobile Suites units.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Navy Gunners Mate here.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:05 AM   #17

Double pane trailer windows do little for energy efficiency for the cost that is rather high.

Wish we had ordered them. They limit condensation when running the furnace.

Worth $1300? Yep, kinda maybe.

As a retro fit. No way. Too expensive.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:06 PM   #18

FR3 side windows at the driver and passenger position are notorious for being noisy. At least in our DS25 of 2014 vintage.

Salesman telling you noise reduction is one reason to buy may be dubious.

Automotive windows are now being sold as “dual laminated” to reduce cockpit noise, that is far more effective than “dual-pane” non-automotive windows.

So the r value increase is a welcome upgrade, the claims of less noise are less easily confirmed.

To block heat and cold, a double layer of reflectix blanket laid on the OUTSIDE of the coach windows are the most positive heat rejection system possible.

If I could of wrapped my whole coach with reflectix this last summer while baking like a turkey on broil in the hottest RV campground in the USA (Orange Grove RV -Bakersfield CA), I would have!

One day this summer I left my RV to drive somewhere in that god forsaken CG, my autos outside temperature gauge was at 131 degrees.
repsolgamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:04 PM   #19
NXR

Quote:
Salesman telling you noise reduction is one reason to buy may be dubious.
To clarify, that was on a factory tour with the factory rep when we saw ours being built. No salesperson was involved and they already had our down payment.

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:51 PM   #20

Don't forget the expense of repairing double pane Windows when the fog up on the inside. I wish the laminates were offered as an option.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade, window