Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2020, 11:04 AM   #1

Down Spouts on my RV?

On my last trip I discovered a silly design that I am going to need to change on my 2020 FR3 34DS. The roof rain/drain outlet is directly over the outside mirrors. So on these hot and extremely humid Alabama days of summer I have a consistent stream of water from the front AC running down over my mirrors blocking my vision. I am thinking of simply running a ½” PVC or maybe Vinyl tube down from the outlet to the ground. Will need to come up with some type of funnel or collector at the top of the down spout to collet the water. Wondering if anyone else out there has come across this and if so what they did to solve the issue?
Winddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winddancer View Post
On my last trip I discovered a silly design that I am going to need to change on my 2020 FR3 34DS. The roof rain/drain outlet is directly over the outside mirrors. So on these hot and extremely humid Alabama days of summer I have a consistent stream of water from the front AC running down over my mirrors blocking my vision. I am thinking of simply running a ½” PVC or maybe Vinyl tube down from the outlet to the ground. Will need to come up with some type of funnel or collector at the top of the down spout to collet the water. Wondering if anyone else out there has come across this and if so what they did to solve the issue?
I said the exact same thing this past weekend. I might have used some colorful language around it but I too am trying to think of a way to make it a bit better.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlepaul1975 View Post
I said the exact same thing this past weekend. I might have used some colorful language around it but I too am trying to think of a way to make it a bit better.

They sell extensions for the gutters.
welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
They sell extensions for the gutters.
What is this magic you speak of?
Old 09-03-2020, 11:32 AM   #5

I used a piece of polar curtain, stuff used to separate cold area for warehouse, placed in side mirror while parked. Removed, rolled and placed in door pocket while traveling.
The rain, drips is not so bad as the deposits left behind by said drips.

See post #27 on this forum discussion.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-204283-2.html

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...2&d=1586383700
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2020, 11:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlepaul1975 View Post
What is this magic you speak of?
Yes do tell.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian-chris View Post
I used a piece of polar curtain, stuff used to separate cold area for warehouse, placed in side mirror while parked. Removed, rolled and placed in door pocket while traveling.
The rain, drips is not so bad as the deposits left behind by said drips.

See post #27 on this forum discussion.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-204283-2.html

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...2&d=1586383700
Cool idea, but I want to stop the problem at the source. It is not only the mirrors but the windows as well. And yes I agree, it is not so much the water but the dry spots and the dust that collects on it.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:28 PM   #8

Camco Rain Gutter extensions..
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Exterior.../CAM42452.html
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44 View Post
Thanks Robo44, I have these devices already installed from the factory. In fact they are what is directing the water right onto my mirror. I am thinking how do I use these extensions and attach a tube or maybe a pipe down the side of my coach to drop off near the ground.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:26 PM   #10

Pretty easy

Quote:
Thanks Robo44, I have these devices already installed from the factory. In fact they are what is directing the water right onto my mirror. I am thinking how do I use these extensions and attach a tube or maybe a pipe down the side of my coach to drop off near the ground.
Well, that's pretty easy. Lowe's sells soft clear vinyl tubing by the foot in various diameters. Buy a foot of 3/4" and 1" tubing. See which one fits over the roof gutter extension with enough friction to stay in place. Then go back to Lowe's and get enough to go from roof to running-board on both sides.

Use a couple of these to secure the tubing. Get XL or XXL depending on what size tubing you wind up with.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:39 PM   #11

I have a similar issue with my MBS 2400. The downspout drops the rain water right into the door pocket when I open the during a rainstorm. I like the idea of the clear vinyl tubing to move the steady stream of water away from the door.
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:31 AM   #12

I have a 2015 Forester and the same problem so it has been around for awhile. I like the tubing idea and may give it a try. I did try to extend the gutters further out but the material I used was not good enough and had to be removed. Also could zip tie the tubing on the extensions.
FishRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Well, that's pretty easy. Lowe's sells soft clear vinyl tubing by the foot in various diameters. Buy a foot of 3/4" and 1" tubing. See which one fits over the roof gutter extension with enough friction to stay in place. Then go back to Lowe's and get enough to go from roof to running-board on both sides.

Use a couple of these to secure the tubing. Get XL or XXL depending on what size tubing you wind up with.
I like this idea, clean and simple. Think I will give it a try. My list of things to do is going faster then I can get them done.
Old 09-04-2020, 10:57 AM   #14

I adapted this concept for aircraft entryways to a MH I had where the runoff from the gutter ran directly down my driver door. I just fashioned from thin aluminum stock to divert the runoff back behind the door and used silicone to adhere it to the chassis. May not work for you but did for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MC76F2.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	238373  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:27 AM   #15

I also get streaks on our 2019 FR3 DS33, especially the passenger side window, from the A/C condensation dripping constantly in the summer. I'm going to try the extensions, but the other thing I have to do is to use the leveling jacks in manual to get the MH actually level (always push up the left side, after the auto level), so most of it drips away from the window.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #16

I installed these to each end of the gutter. Works fine.
https://www.campingworld.com/rv-gutt...ack-27731.html

2017 Forest River FR3 32DS
Retired Navy
Retired IT Professional
Blallen58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blallen58 View Post
I installed these to each end of the gutter. Works fine.
https://www.campingworld.com/rv-gutt...ack-27731.html
Yep, I have something similar already on my gutters. They do an excellent job of pointing the water straight onto the middle of my mirrors.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Can you move your Mirror in while parked ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Can you move your Mirror in while parked ???
Howdy Wolverine, Sure but when I am parked I am not using my mirrors. It is when I am moving and the condensation from the front AC drains down or when it rains, and here in the land of Dixie that happens almost daily, which is why it is so humid and why the AC condenses so much water. Good idea though.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Howdy Wolverine, Sure but when I am parked I am not using my mirrors. It is when I am moving and the condensation from the front AC drains down or when it rains, and here in the land of Dixie that happens almost daily, which is why it is so humid and why the AC condenses so much water. Good idea though.
Never had a problem when moving, but then again never ran our A/C when driving, We had a small Sunseeker !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote