Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraG View Post
Yeah, we all have this image in our minds... I'll just go out the window. Try it. If you're like me and no longer twenty-one, or even thirty-one, or forty-one, or--well, you get the picture--you will be surprised how tentative and awkward you may feel. I'm in reasonably good condition, do yoga, etc., and I found it a challenge. I mean, you have to stick your lower body out the window and at some point support yourself with you arms as you lower your feet to the bumper. That's when I decided to try the ladder, which was easier.
Another suggestion the guy gave was to draper your blanket or duvet or whatever over the window ledge. Protects a bit from hard edges and you can pull it after you and have something to wrap in if it's cold weather.
If I got nothing else out of that RV bot camp, the fire safety information was worth it. The guy who gave the class was clearly seriously committed to saving lives.

All that said, I'll also do my best not to have a fire in the first place.

B
Thanks for that information that has some good tips. I think I'll install another smoke alarm in my bedroom. Our unit has two emergency windows. 1 in the bedroom and 1 in the salon area where the couch is, they are both hinged. I also just went out and read the directions on use. The handle that I was talking about has to be pushed out through the slot. If your in a fire god forbid. If anything just pull that handle and kick it out. Also after owning it for 2 years I just saw a red pull for the screen. My propane tanks are under my bedroom area. The salon window is much closer to the ground then the bedroom. But I guess a broken leg is better then the alternative. You know before you wrote this I just never gave it much thought to be honest. I also have never heard of RV boot camp? Who put that on? Thanks for the tips and making me use my brain..... Have great camping season and safe.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #22
Traveling Two

Should have a screen on the inside??? Maybe it is there and just doesn't show in your picture.
jerryliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Thanks for that information that has some good tips. I think I'll install another smoke alarm in my bedroom. Our unit has two emergency windows. 1 in the bedroom and 1 in the salon area where the couch is, they are both hinged. I also just went out and read the directions on use. The handle that I was talking about has to be pushed out through the slot. If your in a fire god forbid. If anything just pull that handle and kick it out. Also after owning it for 2 years I just saw a red pull for the screen. My propane tanks are under my bedroom area. The salon window is much closer to the ground then the bedroom. But I guess a broken leg is better then the alternative. You know before you wrote this I just never gave it much thought to be honest. I also have never heard of RV boot camp? Who put that on? Thanks for the tips and making me use my brain..... Have great camping season and safe.
The boot camp I went to is put on by Escapees RV Club. Here is the link to the boot camp page:

https://www.escapees.com/BootCamp/Default.aspx

Escapees is a nationwide RV club that has chapters in different areas, puts on events, provides discounts and other services, etc. It's only ~$50 a year to join and a well-known and well-respected club to my knowledge.

B
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #24
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryliving View Post
Should have a screen on the inside??? Maybe it is there and just doesn't show in your picture.
No screen on either of my emergency exits.

This is on my "to buy" list this season:

http://www.casa.com/p/kidde-kl-2s-tw...a_de_t5_c_2_tx

Here is the same item at Wal-Mart - http://www.walmart.com/ip/13035194?w...942710&veh=sem

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Kidde-Two-Stor...pr_product_top
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryliving View Post
I open up my emergency window often and mine does have a screen too. I'm in the habit of closing it completely when not in use.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraG View Post
...1. Practice escaping through the escape window. When I got home, I did it a couple of times. The first time was a bit awkward. The second time I realized I can easily reach the ladder once I stick my legs out (belly down). I'm really glad I did this. I have confidence that I actually can get out and hopefully without breaking any bones...
Don't disagree with any of the things to do, but I question how long a ladder would remain under the window.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Don't disagree with any of the things to do, but I question how long a ladder would remain under the window.
I'm talking about the roof ladder. It's to one side of the back emergency exit window.

B
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #28

I went out and measured from the bottom of the bedroom window to the ground, it's 7 feet.
The rear window its 4 foot 9 to the ground but it is next to the door so the door is a better option .
Old 04-18-2014, 09:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Probably until the oldcoot next door wanted to wash his windshield.

lol sorry I just had to say it

2014 JEEP WRANGLER WILLYS
Bobb36 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Power Vents | 25ds »