Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #1

Fantastic Fan

Can anyone tell me if these fans will keep the motorhome cool? I have read a lot about people installing them. I would just like to find a way to circulate the air in Big Ben. All replies appreciated.
progolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:56 PM   #2

I think they do a great job and move a lot of air - at least on my small TT.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:59 PM   #3
WFD

Keeping it cool might be a stretch...helping to move air...yes they can definitely do that. On days that aren't too hot where a/c isn't really necessary I will use it to help draw air from an open window or screen. Also useful for those nights where you don't need a/c but want to draw in fresh air. Trick is to have an open window somewhere so it can draw.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #4

A lot depends on where you are and how hot it is.
A Fantastic or Maxxair will move a lot of air in or out if you get one with reverse feature so they do help with ventilation.

I have a Maxx with a remote but would have no problem with a Fantastic with a remote I just bought the Maxx because it has a ceiling fan option.

Which ever you get it will help and in MHO worth the money.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:55 PM   #5
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

It's no AC but, it does remove quite a bit of the hot air when recirculating. We have the Maxxair w/remote

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:18 PM   #6

These roof vent fans that everyone is talking about here are great additions. So far I've only installed one and it was the one in the bedroom. I chose that location 1st because in our RV, JeNNY, that was the only one with wires right there. I do plan to install fantastic fans in the bathroom vent and kitchen vent in the future. With the bedroom slide out, at night, if it's cool enough, we close all the windows and roof vents except for the bedroom roof vent and the 2 little windows on both sides of the bed slide, and the amount of air that gets sucked in from the bedroom roof fantastic fan vent is amazing. Makes me sleepy just telling the story here.

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2000 Jeep TJ Moab Rock Crawler
2013 Jeep JK
USS Seattle (AOE-3) 84-88 Wayne
US Army 06-15 Sherry
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:25 AM   #7
H3N

We have fantastic fans and roof covers in the living room, bath room and bed room. The living room and bed rooms have fans with thermostats which are really great for our cat when we are gone for the day. None of our fans have remotes because a) I lose remotes, b) the four adults traveling together are all tall enough to turn the fans on/off and change the direction of air flow, and c) I was too thrifty to pay more for the remotes especially considering a) and b).

While not cooling the air, the fans sure circulate it nicely. We have found that turning the living room fan on intake and the bed room fan on exhaust while keeping one window open very slightly keeps us cool enough while traveling on 88 + degree days that there is no need to crank up the generator to turn on the air condo.

Finally, having the roof vents enables us to keep the vents open/fans going when the weather is nasty so we get great ventilation and zero condensation during rain storms.

For us, the fans and roof covers were definitely a best buy.

H3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:07 AM   #8
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progolfer View Post
Can anyone tell me if these fans will keep the motorhome cool?
No, they will not. They will simply circulate ambient air throughout the rig. If the ambient air temperature is 90 degrees, you will have 90 degree air being circulated (with a slight breeze) throughout the rig. They don't produce enough air velocity to cool anything. With one exception...

If you're out and about and it's below freezing, first one in will be inclined to fire up the fantastic fan after the shower to rid the loo of all that dastardly humidity. If you've got the no 2 ticket to the shower for the triple S, you may find that the fantastic fan has sucked all the heat out of the loo. This can render the contemplation seat somewhat frigid. So ya, I guess, under some circumstances, the fantastic fan does cool the rig.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #9
Retired

which sealant for fiberglass roof for fantastic fan

We just bought a fantastic fan and are trying to figure out which sealant to use since we have a fiberglass roof. I've read that if you have a rubber roof to use so and so, but nothing tells you what to use if you have a fiberglass roof. I have heard to use Dicor 501 self leveling sealant but is it for a fiberglass roof, and we can't buy it local so would have to order it and not sure if it is what we could use. Included with the Fantastic fan was a white foam gasket that is supposed to go between the roof and the new fan before you screw the fan down and then seal it. Any one know
tennlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #10
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennlady View Post
We just bought a fantastic fan and are trying to figure out which sealant to use since we have a fiberglass roof. I've read that if you have a rubber roof to use so and so, but nothing tells you what to use if you have a fiberglass roof. I have heard to use Dicor 501 self leveling sealant but is it for a fiberglass roof, and we can't buy it local so would have to order it and not sure if it is what we could use. Included with the Fantastic fan was a white foam gasket that is supposed to go between the roof and the new fan before you screw the fan down and then seal it. Any one know

From what I've read, 501 can be used on fiberglass roofs.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #11

That is what I just used on mine when I did it. Run a bead around the opening, screw it down, then run a bead around the edge covering the screws as you go. Should not take very long at all. To get the old vent off, I used a plastic pry tool, kinda shaped like a putty knife only about 1 inch wide, to scrape off old dicor. Works good and doesn't cut into fiberglass roof. Auto parts store carries them to remove trim from cars.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan