Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2021, 04:11 PM   #1

FR-3 Coach BATTERY

Hi Guys,

I have a 2019 FR-3 32 A-Class

The coach batteries drain fast in the cold weather. Sometimes on the order of days. It was recently serviced and they said the batteries were okay. I usually park it in in the winter in Maryland. It does have a master off switch for power which I have "off" when it is stored.

On Saturday, I picked it up from service and batteries were 100%. Today (Monday), I checked in it and the batteries were close to drained. Thoughts?

Is this a sign the batteries need to be replaced?

in a few months we will be driving it out to Yellowstone.

Brian
Brian.Janz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:48 PM   #2

I have a 2019 FR-3 33DS, the led acid batteries that came with mine were horrible. Even turned off if you dont have some form of trickle charge they wont stay 100% charged even with the disconnect switch flipped. However, being completely dead after only 2 days seems excessive.
IMHO if you an afford Lithium pick up at least one 100ah battery that will be more efficient and essentially is like 2 lead acid batteries. (the more the merrier if you can I have 4 = 400aH) They are expensive but Battle Born does offer a monthly payment schedule to ease the pain .
If you want to stick with AGM/Lead Acid, yea Id say your batteries are spanked.
If you do get AGM/Lead acid you should also think about a small solar kit to keep the batteries charged while in storage. (assuming you're outside)
Lithium you dont need to keep on a trickle charge.
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:00 PM   #3

If they had just unplugged it the batteries might not have been full, they can read full for a time because of surface charge. Plug it in for 48 hours then see how it does. And yes the battery disconnect only disconnects most things. Should not be a huge load in 2 days but it can kill batteries over a number of days.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:12 PM   #4
edm

Just a thought. Did you have the furnace turned on? I only say that because you are in cold country. The furnace will draw a lot of power when operating.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:05 AM   #5

Make sure your inverter box is plugged in . It’s in your storage compartment in the rear of the coach. I knocked off my plug one time loading stuff in rear compartment and batteries drained really fast . Plugged it back in and working just fine .
Frameman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frameman View Post
Make sure your inverter box is plugged in . It’s in your storage compartment in the rear of the coach. I knocked off my plug one time loading stuff in rear compartment and batteries drained really fast . Plugged it back in and working just fine .

My 2014 FR3 30DS doesn’t have an inverter it only has a charger.
welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:40 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
My 2014 FR3 30DS doesn’t have an inverter it only has a charger.
I think you mean it only has a CONverter.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I think you mean it only has a CONverter.

Correct
welder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery