Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2017, 06:50 AM   #1

FR3 30DS towing a 2018 Jeep Cherokee

I have a 2016 DS30 and now getting all the things done to the Jeep to tow flat. Would like to hear from anyone that has this setup, as to the extra weight and drag on the RV. How much difference in driving and MPG does it seem to have when towing? I'm new to this model and on my last trip from Florida to California, I ran the DASH AC for cooling, but then my service guy said it's much better to use the generator and the roof air. He said that will not put a drag on the engine and that the generator does not use that much gas as the dash air does.
BTW I'm having most of the roof replaced because of the problem with air getting in the front fiberglass cap. That must have been a BIG problem since FR went to a full fiberglass roof.
Orider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #2

We tow a 2016 Chevy Sonic. Can't tell it's bring towed. Last check was that the mpg is neglible. We prefer to run the front a/c unless it is really hot.
anolefan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #3
LBJ

Hi Orider,

We have a 2014 25DS and tow a 2014 JKU. I use a program on my tablet called Torque that connects to the ODBII port to monitor engine stats. It also calculates my mpg to. From that info, it says I get 12 mpg when I am not towing and 9 mpg when we are towing the jeep.

One other thing to think about is that the tow hitch is rated to 5,000lbs.

Brian
Old 12-17-2017, 05:17 PM   #4

Make sure you get the wiring also from jeep/Chrysler to power up the steering while getting your Cherokee towed or it can get into this terrible wobble and cause a lot of problems
lazbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, fr3, towing