Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2021, 09:03 PM   #1
Retired

FR3 33DS Transfer Switch

I've been researching the FR3, planning to upgrade from Forest River Sunseeker 2400W MBS. I came across someone in a forum who mentioned that the FR3s don't have automatic electrical transfer switches... that you have to manually disconnect the power cable from the shore power and plug it into a plug from the generator.
Can anyone confirm that this is the case... and if there is an upgrade available?
Old 01-21-2021, 09:20 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Watching.

However, I had to do the manual plug into the generator on my Georgetown when we had it.
When you stowed the power cord inside, the plug was right there anyway.
What’s the issue?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:40 PM   #3

There is no automatic transfer switch in the 2019 FR3 33DS . There is a plug in the back driver’s side compartment for your shore power plug. You plug it in that when you stow your power cord (same compartment your power cord is). My house generator has a transfer switch, so I didn’t realize at first you need to plug the genny in and then start it.
My friend has a new sun seeker. They like it. It is too small for us.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:34 PM   #4
Retired

.. no big deal then...

I guess that makes sense... if you plug it in to store it, it is ready to go when needed... can't think of how that might end up being a problem. In our Sunseeker, when the generator is started, the power is automatically transferred over...
Thanks for clarifying...
Old 01-22-2021, 11:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvmool View Post
I've been researching the FR3, planning to upgrade from Forest River Sunseeker 2400W MBS. I came across someone in a forum who mentioned that the FR3s don't have automatic electrical transfer switches... that you have to manually disconnect the power cable from the shore power and plug it into a plug from the generator.
Can anyone confirm that this is the case... and if there is an upgrade available?
Yes that’s the case on my 2019 FR3 32DS - pretty easy to do when you disconnect from shore power and wind it up in storage, the outlet is right there.
JoshNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:18 PM   #6

The 2021 FR3 doesn’t come with an ATS and I don’t see myself missing it. I’ve had an ATS in my last 3 motorhomes. The only thing it saved me from was needing to go outside to move the plug when the shorepower goes out (prior to starting the genny).
Quote:
2011 Honda CRV toad
RVwino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:57 PM   #7

I believe my 2018 Coachmen Concord did not have a transfer switch and I was told it was converted to have one when I bought it. I can see where the pug in box is blanked off and the 30 amp power cord wires run out of it in the electric storage compartment. Don't know how much it costs to convert it though.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:35 PM   #8

Transfer Switch

Quote:
I have a FR3 30DS 2018, it does not have a transfer switch and I don’t miss it. I rarely run the generator while driving although sometimes my wife needs to charge her computer. My wife also uses a simple low power inverter to watch the main TV while driving. This safes gas from not using the generator.
JK8972389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #9

Buying a lower cost model means you give up some of the conveniences.

It is NOT a big deal to plug in the power cord each time you unplug from shore power. In that manner, you are set for generator.

However, I had a transfer switch installed. Costs about $ 250.00, a couple of boxes and connectors another $ 50.00. I also installed an EMS in the storage compartment, another $ 250.00. with install, by my RV guys, the total for both, including the switch and EMS, $ 1,000.00.

NO EMS outside in the weather, automatic transfer, start generator any time.

Works great. Easy to do, if you are handy, and save $ 400.00 labor.
FRIDLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:21 AM   #10

Quote:
LowVoltage posted a video where he added a transfer switch to his FR3. It was a very easy install, and the switch was inexpensive. Following his lead, I did this to my 2014 FR3. His post is in FR3 pictures of mods, page 20: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-78734-20.html
Hope this helps.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:41 AM   #11
edm

We have a 2016 Fr3 30DS that we purchased in 2015 with the 4k generator. I built and installed a 30 amp transfer switch with timer to allow the gen set to stabilize before it switches. I feel it is better on the electronics and the generator if the gen is allowed to stabilize before it has to go to load. It was an easy thing to do and it makes life a lot simpler. I don't have to remember to plug the cord in so I can start the generator. Also driving down the road if we need the generator we just start it and keep on trucking.
As a side note we have been in camp grounds when they lost power and all we had to do was start the generator and we were back up and running.

Good lick and happy travels.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fr3, switch, transfer switch