Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2021, 12:48 PM   #1

FR3 Atwood AC's Soft Start

I read several threads on soft start but I'm looking for fellow FR3 owner's who have install one and what brand did you use? Is the results of installing one worth the cost? Your pro/con comments is appreciated. Since I have to replace both AC's (under warranty) I was looking to have the soft start installed at the same time.

I appreciate you time and assistance.
2020 FR3 34DS, Blue Ox Avail, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO Braking System, Tire Minder TPMS-i10-10, Lippert Friction Door Hinges, GPS Rand McNally OverDryve 7RV, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs Front & Rear, Sway Bar Front & Rear, Roadmaster Stabilizer, Soft Start both AC's, WACO AC Silencer, Frig Defender ARP Control v5.11 + 2 Fans. 2012 Cadillac SRX Luxury
USAFE7Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:18 AM   #2

I'm curious with the amount of generating power you have available on your rig why do you want a soft start? Myself I have added both to my rig and my stick house an extra capacitor ($12 about) so the AC compressor spends less time in the starting mode. I was just wondering.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:06 PM   #3

You should definitely read this thread.

I went with the EasyStart. I don't remember exactly why, but I kinda remember that something about their website, or perhaps their phone system, just seemed to be a little more professional than Soft Start.

When I have the coach at home to load up for a trip, it always seems to be during hot weather. When I first tried to run the AC from our house power, it of course popped the circuit breaker. But with the EasyStart, I can run the AC from a 15A circuit.

Also, even if we're at a park with hookups, the AC runs cycles much quieter than it did without the EasyStart.
vacationlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:09 PM   #4

Vacationlovers, thank you for your response. I read that thread but I wanted feed back from a fellow FR3 owner. Plus I was pressed for time as the two new AC replacement arrived and I wanted everything done at one time so that I could get back on the road. I went with the soft start based on thread and You Tube Videos. I appreciate your time and assistance. Be well and safe travels.
2020 FR3 34DS, Blue Ox Avail, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO Braking System, Tire Minder TPMS-i10-10, Lippert Friction Door Hinges, GPS Rand McNally OverDryve 7RV, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs Front & Rear, Sway Bar Front & Rear, Roadmaster Stabilizer, Soft Start both AC's, WACO AC Silencer, Frig Defender ARP Control v5.11 + 2 Fans. 2012 Cadillac SRX Luxury
Old 10-24-2021, 01:34 PM   #5
NXR

Ugh. You had to replace both A/C's on a 2020? May I ask what manufacturer and model of A/C you have? And what happened to them?

I'm hoping you do not say "Atwood AC-1511"...

Ray
Old 10-24-2021, 03:01 PM   #6

NXR Okay I won't say it. E4 Error on Thermostat. But they both lost refrigerant and since it is sealed, they cannot not be recharged, therefore, replacement. Thank God they come with a 2 year warranty. It took a month, but I just received word that the new AC's have been received.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:03 PM   #7
NXR

Whew, thanks.

FYI, I've seen where people have added a servicing port to these. It looks like a "saddle valve" as used on water pipes. The trick is getting an A/C tech up on the roof to find the leak, repair it, and recharge it.

Mine are close to 2.5 years old.

Ray
Old 10-24-2021, 08:45 PM   #8

A/C issues

We bought a 2012 FR Surveyor in 2016. The first summer we used the a/c, Icicles were shooting out of the vent of the unit. The dealer try to tell us to keep the fan running to fix it! I said WHY should we keep the fan Constantly running. After a few arguements, they replaced it(We bought a 4 year extended warranty) It was a Dometic 15000 btu unit. Funny thing is that every once and a while on a 90+ degree day, the Circuit breaker whould trip when the compressor came on during startup. I saw a capacitor kit on Amazon for about $15.00 and looks easy to install but still haven't done it. It tripped once this summer and we had lots of over 90 degree days this summer.
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:34 AM   #9

NXR both my AC's are Atwood Air Command
Old 10-25-2021, 11:46 AM   #10

SLU2 Dometic Atwood Air Comand 15K BTU. I literally had a steady flow of water coming out of the front AC and had to keep a bucket under it to catch all the water. Temps were in the 90's. I'm having a soft start installed in both AC's and the WACO Silencer to quite things down some. I'm hearing challanged and need all the help I can get to hear things. I purchased the soft start on Amazon. Good luck and safe travels.
Old 10-25-2021, 12:32 PM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFE7Ret
Dometic Atwood Air Comand 15K BTU. I literally had a steady flow of water coming out of the front AC and had to keep a bucket under it to catch all the water.
One of the almost-unknown maintenance tasks on the Atwood air conditioners is that the four bolts securing it to the roof need snugged up annually. There is a foam gasket on the roof that needs to be about 50% compressed and definitely not fully squashed down.

If those bolts are loose you literally will have it raining inside the motorhome as you appear to have had happen.

Inside the motorhome, remove the two panels that slide off and you'll see a bolt in each corner (with the Wacko you may need to take it off).

Those bolts take an 11/16" socket on ours and should just be snugged up. If you're into torques, it's 4.4 ft lbs (four point four, not forty four).

On ours, Atwood did not make the holes in the plastic frame wide enough to get a socket on the bolts. I removed the four screws holding the frame to the ceiling and used a file to enlarge the holes in the plastic frame so I now can just put a socket directly on those bolts.

Yes, sometimes I'll find a bolt or two that has worked loose but not leaking yet.

Hope this helps,

Ray
Old 10-25-2021, 05:14 PM   #12

Ray, thank you for sharing this remedy. I printed it and will place in my SOP book to add to my regular maintance schedule.
Old 11-05-2021, 08:57 PM   #13

I got my Rig back today. Both AC's were replaced and I added the soft start on both and the WACO AC Silencer. The warranty carries forward to Feb 2022. The AC's are not as loud as before. I can actually hear the TV and radio. Thank you ALL who provided feedback. Be well and safe travels.

Tags
fr3