Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2022, 09:40 PM   #1

Fr3 front slide

New 2021 fr3. The front slide has plastic chain that covers the electrical cables. Engineers at Fr3 have this cable going into box in the belly. The plastic cable rises up and got damaged . All repaired under warranty. Now it appears its doing the same ...rises up when putting slide out. It then damages the plastic chain cable that goes around the electrical line. There design is so flawed.
ANYBODY HAVING THIS PROBLEM WITH THERE FOREST RIVER FR3 SLIDE?

ONLY SOLUTION IS TO HAVE SECOND PERSON PUT THERE FOOT ON TOP OF THE PLASTIC CABLE AS IT GOES OUT TO KEEP IT FROM BUNCHING UP.
ericsson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Moved to the FR3 sub-forum since the OP is asking for model-specific information.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 08:21 AM   #3

My 2018 FR3 29DS has always had the same problem. Yes, the only solution is like you mentioned. When extending the slide, I stop twice and go push the cord and plastic assembly down into the hole with my foot. If my wife is around, she pushes it down with her foot, saving me the short 10' walk back and forth.

2018 FR3 29DS
TOAD - 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
zipmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 12:35 PM   #4
RoadsGuy

Same thing just happened to our FR3 32DS. Have to stop and push down and in to align it. Rather annoying.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:17 PM   #5

I just recently had this problem. At this point, I removed the access cover to the box the plastic chain / cables disappear into (access through the propane door) and cleaned it out with a vacuum and wiped out all of the dust.

I now live in Boulder City, NV and with the fine desert sand and the blowing winds, I had a large amount of dirt / sand build up within the box.

I'm hoping that's all I need to occasionally do to solve the problem. There appeared to be a lot of friction during the sliding process and with the sand in there, it was not "sliding" into the box.

We'll see how it works when we head out onto the road in early May.

RV: 2019 FR3 33DS -- Toad: 2017 Buick Envision
Roadmaster Falcon 2 Tow Bar & RVi Brake3 System & TPMS
ehlerts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:53 AM   #6
Commercial Member

I just spoke to service- on this, I would give them a call at 574-206-7600 and explain to them what's going on.

Please have your VIN number ready for them as well. If I can help further, please let me know.

Thank you,

Brent
BShuttleworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 10:56 AM   #7
NXR

Fr3 front slide

This is astonishingly way too common, especially as the temps drop and the plastic stiffens up. The Georgetown has the same problem. I've taken to watching mine every time now.

There are some threads on the Georgetown forum on this. The major problem with mine was that the factory installed the e-chain crooked; it was about 1/2" further from the slide wall at the inside edge than it was at the hole in the floor. That caused the e-chain to be jammed down the hole in the floor at an angle.

One person came up with a fix using a retractable key holder, one of those things that clip to your belt and has a line on it.

He anchored it to the wall underneath and fastened the "key" end to the e-chain when the slide was retracted. As the slide extends, the retractable key holder puts a small amount of "pull" on the e-chain and he said it works perfectly.

Ray
Old 04-20-2022, 09:57 PM   #8
Btm

E-chain fix

It was me that used a key retractor to fix the plastic chain hang up.

See my post "E-chain @ slide fix" with pics. dated 10-24-20.

It has been working for the last 1-1/2 years.

No more breaking or hang ups, just run the slide.

Btm
CHF rear, CHF front, Sumo springs front
Btm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 08:45 PM   #9

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ix-219282.html
fuzzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:15 PM   #10

Yep - wife watches or I move the slide a bit and walk up there.
I don’t want to talk about the warranty “repair” done.
Wait until your site tips left and you need to use the jacks to tip the RV level or a bit right, or bring the Slide more tha 1/2 way…
Old 05-17-2022, 03:53 PM   #11

Yes same problem on 2nd day of ownership
Rlet400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:48 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlet400 View Post
Yes same problem on 2nd day of ownership
PM Sent
BShuttleworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:59 AM   #13
Perry, GA

2019 FR3 33DS
Here's my 2 cents worth.
I crushed mine the second time I opened it. Broke 2 of the chain links. I gave part of the chain to dealer and FR sent whole new chain. Great. I did count, three times, the number of links. Keeping it the same.
I removed the panel covering the end of the chain under the slide. The cables coming from under the dine seat were just stuck into the side of the chain and the chain was not attached to anything. I pulled the cables around the bracket and fed them thru the end of the chain and tied the chain to the bracket.
But I don't think that is what completely fixed it though I believe did help. While the chain was off, only removed the part on top, I cable tied the cables, snug not tight, about every 3 inches so the they had some ridigity and would push it's self into the hole. The chain is only a cosmetic vessel to guide it.
Ridged NOT stiff
Has worked ok for a couple of years and countless openings. Wife opens, I still stand there and watch.
nakedchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:59 PM   #14

Just wanted to post an update on my previous post. We were in our RV for 30 days, with two seven day stops (including 6" of snow in Golden, CO), and we did not have any issues with the "plastic chain" for the front slide not moving properly.

I'm going to take the cover off and check it out for dirt this week. If I see a lot of dirt (probably since we are back home in Nevada), I'll clean it out and add that to my list of things to check before we head to California for all of August.

I might even look into options to "weather seal" the cover to reduce the dirt accumulation even more.

RV: 2019 FR3 33DS -- Toad: 2017 Buick Envision
Roadmaster Falcon 2 Tow Bar & RVi Brake3 System & TPMS
ehlerts01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fr3, slide