Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #21

Think it hooked up to air mass sensor and sent a slightly different signal to computer, to give it slightly more power/torque. Or at least as advertised if you can believe that. Will say one thing brother in law is a diesel mech and has built some pretty fast hotrods. Maybe he is not totally off in left field. ???
Lfrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #22

Okay, I have an FAA A&P License so my training is mostly on jet engines. But as a rule you get more power which on a shaft engine would include torque, if you increase air and fuel. That would be the opposite of fuel efficiency. Basically you can't do opposite things at the same time. Now running a gas engine rich could give more power, but at the cost of fuel economy. Running one too lean can cause damage from too high of cylinder temperature. It my understanding that automobile manufacturers run engines on the lean side for better café standards. But with tons of research to not damaged the engine. Now the Ford V10 which is what comes in the FR3 and is a gas engine is one good solid engine, and the only gasoline game in town. It has its positives and negatives. Pos. Doesn't need much for 100,000 miles. Neg. Changing spark plugs can ruin heads I.E. weak link. Most likely due to head temperature and lightweight manufacturer. So for a ford v10 the last thing I would do is mess with engine operating parameters. Burning an exhaust valve or spitting out a spark plug would negate even the most outlandish fuel economy claim.

These are only my opinions. Let me know how it works out for you.
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #23

I agree whole heartedly. You may have also worked on some of the planes that I flew at some time. I also a built a few hot rods up and use to be a nitrous dealer. One thing you left out is that if that module regulated fuel supply in some way to put out more pressure to injectors, but not more volume, which would put out more vapor, that will ignite more efficiently, making gas mileage more efficient. Definitely know that works better for the diesel engines from first hand exp. It was tied to a booster pump with an extra filter that also separated the water vapor, the extra fuel was returned thru a return line to the tank. This produced approx. 4 mph to the good and gobs of extra power to my dodge diesel. Oh, by the way I use to burn lots of jet fuel in that truck too. Got a lot of it free. sure burned cleaner even with the additive that I put with it.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #24

what I forgot to say was that with sometimes with more pressure to the injectors there wil be a lot finer mist/spray.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #25

I have a buddy who has a fly cut copper of ringed head gasket for his dodge Cummins he runs an ungodly 90 lb of boost. And 12 second quarters in a 3/4 ton truck. But his mileage sucks. Also if you have ever been to place like the Miami Beach Boat show. They have a section for Cummins marine engines the same block comes in various HP's that start around what the truck produces to double maybe triple the power and all that is different is the fuel control and the turbos. Point is a diesel block such as the Cummins is a real diesel engine built like a brick sit house, and can take extra power. Don't expect other engines to do the same unless it's a vintage big block. BTW that product does not appear to do anything other than trick the map sensor signal which would not change injector pressure.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb36 View Post
I can't set in the seat more then 3 hours at a time so $100 in gas works out perfect and that is when the card stops.
Amateur. I once drove from Raleigh NC to Road America in WI with one bladder break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanFR3 View Post
The only thing I can think of that might work are air tabs. But as was posted elsewhere, if they did every semi in the country would have them. And they don't.
Air Tabs DO actually work, but they have to be combined with other efforts to really shine. By themselves, their benefit is very minimal.

On the toterhome with the Air Tabs on the back of the toter and a Trailer Tail on the back of the trailer, we got ~1mpg improvement at our usual cruise speed of 68mph. Doesnt sound like much, until you realize that we went from getting 6.2-6.3 to 7-7.1 pretty regularly.

Also, someone mentioned the gas pump limit. Funny related story: We stopped in Dayton OH one year on the way back from Road America. I hit the diesel pump and headed inside for a snack and drink. Came back a few minutes later to the pump finally kicking off at 176 gallons of diesel. Needless to say, diesel pumps dont have limits.
cucamelsmd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #27

Actually air tabs are one I would consider. But as I said when I did research someone else said If they worked every semi would have them. They are also supposed to help keep your towed cleaner. I would have to buy two types due to rubber roof on FR3.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #28

I set mine on about 55 to 60 pulling a Cherokee- accelerate a small bit going down hill and kick cruise off going up hill to keep it from downshifting if I can -- doing that I get 7 to 71/2 in no wind. head wind 6.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #29

Just came back from Alaska. Travelled 14,000 km (8,600 miles). We averaged 10.1 miles per gallon, I was quite impressed. We did not have any problems with the FR3 30DS apart from never being able to work the dash radio, the CD was working fine and I was not able to turn the driver's seat completely.
After the roads we travelled, the FR 3 was quite sturdy. Now that we are home, I have a few repairs to tend to....due to the rough roads.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
johnpisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #30

johnpisue, just curious - were you using unleaded gas with ethanol or without ethanol? It seems that better gas mileage can be obtained if using the unleaded fuel without ethanol. It does cost a good bit more, though.
Grandma99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #31

Grandmamma99...we used both , whatever was available at the pumps...money wise it was the same price.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:43 AM   #32

piloto

Yes I am curious as to how you got that kind of gas mileage too. You had to be traveling without towing anything. Did you have tail wind most of the way or what? The best I have gotten out of mine is 7.1 driving 58 mph on flat roads. Not towing. towing a small Cherokee I get 6.0 to 6.5.
I only have 2300 miles on it , maybe after it breaks in a little more. I do know that the straight gas - no -ethynol in my pickup add 1 mpg on it.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #33

We have a 2015 30DS and are getting approx. 8mpg right now without towing a vehicle. We had a Sunseeker 2300 and averaged 10.5 mpg, but when we first got the Sunseeker, we only got 8.5 mpg. After it was broken in, it got 10 - 10.5 mpg with unleaded gas with ethanol. When we used unleaded without ethanol, it got up to 12 mpg. If you are using both kinds and getting 10 mpg on your FR3, that is great. I hope ours will get better mileage after it gets more miles on it, especially since we are having a towbar put on it so we can tow our Honda CRV. We are looking forward to putting lots more miles on it in the next few years!
Grandma99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #34

Just got back from a trip from KY to Michigan relatively flat terrain towing a Chevy Sonic on a tow dolly and no major head winds either way. I ran at the posted truck speed limits usually 65 or 55. 1103 miles total used 135.773 gallons of gas for 8.12 MPG. Total fuel cost 461.81 for a cost per mile of .42 cents. Gas prices ranged for 3.59 to 3.09 per gallon. The 3.09 was using my Kroger fuel points. Total mileage on the 2015 30DS is now 1871. One final thought my credit union has a credit card that gives 5% discount on all fuel purchases if I add that in the cost per mile drops to about .38 cents per mile.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #35

The canadian imperial gallon is bigger than the U.S. Gallon. 1 imperial gallon is 4.54 litres while 1 U.S. gallon is 3.78 litres.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #36

how many of you are computing fuel mileage with the larger Canadian gallon LOL
Old 07-24-2014, 03:47 AM   #37

Canadians

Old 07-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpisue View Post
Canadians

Problem?

Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #39

keep it clean guys lol
Old 08-29-2014, 10:59 AM   #40

6 trips done this summer, 3,500 miles. 8.92 mpg. Seems to be getting better. The last trip, 800 miles I got 9.2. I drive 55 as I have a lot more time than money in my retirement.

Mandoholic and Bassbabe

2014 FR3 30DS

Salem, Oregon
Mandoholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mileage