Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2021, 09:52 AM   #1

FR3 Pocket Door Fiasco

We still love out RV but …….felt like venting and give those who have a similar FR3 knowledge for the toolkit.

It's well established on the craftsmanship of many RV’s and Trailers build by the industry and how poor things have been. I would like to, but I don’t expect anything from Forest River as my Warranty is beyond expired on my 2019 33DS. However still is disappointing that I continue to have items breaking or coming apart forcing myself to repair them on my own or pay an expensive repair for items that really relate to craftsmanship and not everyday use.
New case in point, the sliding Pocket Door for the bathroom on our last trip jammed up and would not slide on its track. On further inspection I noticed that the door jamb or header that the rail is attached to looked like it was detached & out of level. Thus the door could not slide or hang from the track. Basically the door would drag or hit the floor.

I removed the door from the track and at that time the jamb fell completely out an on the floor. Looking up to see how this was affixed to the ceiling to take the weight of the door, all I saw was 4 small staples. Not the heavy duty staples but the staples you see that hold the paneling to the walls, and friction. THAT’S it… (see Photos with red arrow)

To make matters worse any why I am posting, is the wood used to hold the door with the track is held in by the 4 staples and friction is supposed to be square but mine has chunks of wood missing and looks like a scrap piece of wood our of square. (See other photos & video)

This is so disappointing that now I have to pull this all apart, buy a solid piece of wood to trim down to fit and repair this on my own rather than have the proper materials used the 1st time. To make matters worse, I need to figure out how to mount this header trim piece to the ceiling. Don’t know how long screws to use and I do not know the thickness of the roof, don’t know what is in the ceiling in that area (wires, Styrofoam). So barring some epiphany, looks like I have to remove the entire wall (paneling to expose the area behind the shower where the pocket door resides when closed. Of course try to do this and not break trim or paneling because lord knows were I can find matching material outside of Indiana FR Plant. All of which I can do it just takes time, a plan and thought. (I have a roof, a shower, plumbing and other unknown items I need to carefully navigate.)

I hope the photos do justice.

This along with my yellow stained floor & my drivers side window having Its frame fall apart are 3 items that are not an easy fix and something that really should have been done right the 1st time, or honor a warranty that goes beyond 1 year.

Just note if you own a similar 2019 FR3, probably does not matter what model, keep an eye on your pocket doors for the bathroom & bedroom. Not sure what you can do to prevent this failure (staples are a joke and friction held) but file it away for when it happens and note it’s not impossible fix and you don’t have to spend a lot of money if you choose to repair yourself.

Video of the item

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zes...ew?usp=sharing

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211002_122647510.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	263889   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211002_122641139.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	263890   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211002_141924818.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	263891   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211002_141912920.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	263892  
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 02:31 PM   #2

It's like looking into our future, tho we haven't had this one yet. I camp with a good selection of tools from home.

Thank you for posting your solution to the issue.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:01 AM   #3

Pocket Door Track Repair

The only way I found to repair the Pocket Door Track Header is to remove all the trim & paneling from the wall so you can access the entire span behind the shower where the door resides

I used a plastic trim removal tool and carefully removed all the trim pieces.. I then carefully removed the entire paneling making sure not to pull the staples through the wood damaging it.
Once I removed all the trim and paneling from the walls an celing, I was able to take a good look at the construction of the pocket door area and wall.

As you can see the Track Header piece the stud and brace show signed of “Excellent Craftsmanship” (sic) stud and wood is all chipped or damaged when installed.

Moving on to the repair, using the newly built track header I applied Gorilla Wood Adhesive to the top and slid the new track into place. I then used 3” Construction Wood Screws and installed 4 screws up through the track into the celling where there is a 1x1/2 piece of strap wood. Using both a screw and adhesive it is my hope that is will be stronger than the 4 lightweight staples previously used.

Once the track header was affixed and sturdy, I replaced the door to the track, aligned the locking pin, and replaced all the trim and paneling.

It is not a hard job but time consuming & nerve-wracking due to the potential to damage the trim or paneling pieces. I feel now after my rebuild the door is much stronger and less likely to fail.

Side Note: While removing all the trim and paneling, I had to expose the bedroom Pocket Door Track Header. Just take a look at how this track and lock is built. (see last photo)
The header is actually cut short and rigged up. Beating a dead horse but how can anyone who works on these rigs not take any pride in their work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pc2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	450.5 KB
ID:	264900   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC4.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	468.7 KB
ID:	264901   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC5.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	498.7 KB
ID:	264902   Click image for larger version

Name:	crap.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	264903  
Old 10-27-2021, 07:28 PM   #4

Robo44 I feel your pain and agree with you that the craftsmanship and Plant QC is shameful. I also notice woodwork looks like they used scraps vs. a solid peice of wood. Yellow stains on floor and purple markings on dinnette floor. Shower door installed backwards were the space to get in and out was made for Twiggy. There has to be a way to reverse it for safety reason and comfort. Kitchen sink is not level and the water rolls to the corner ever time. As you know, the list is very long. I appreciate you for sharing this info. Good luck and safe travels.
2020 FR3 34DS, Blue Ox Avail, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO Braking System, Tire Minder TPMS-i10-10, Lippert Friction Door Hinges, GPS Rand McNally OverDryve 7RV, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs Front & Rear, Sway Bar Front & Rear, Roadmaster Stabilizer, Soft Start both AC's, WACO AC Silencer, Frig Defender ARP Control v5.11 + 2 Fans. 2012 Cadillac SRX Luxury
USAFE7Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:36 PM   #5

That wood looks just like the wood they used to build the draw under the bed. Unbeleivable.
2020 FR3 34DS, Blue Ox Avail, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO Braking System, Tire Minder TPMS-i10-10, Lippert Friction Door Hinges, GPS Rand McNally OverDryve 7RV, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs Front & Rear, Sway Bar Front & Rear, Roadmaster Stabilizer, Soft Start both AC's, WACO AC Silencer, Frig Defender ARP Control v5.11 + 2 Fans. 2012 Cadillac SRX Luxury
USAFE7Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:11 PM   #6

2021 Fr3

I feel your pain, we bought a brand new 2021 fr3 and
we had nothing but problems from the beginning, b 4 we even pick it up ,they couldn't get it started, bad modular, OK that happens. Driving it home from the dealer heat don't work and the front end was out of align. They're are still working on that. FOREST RIVER SAID TO CONTACT FORD ABOUT THAT ,ITS A FORD ISSUE AND FORD SAID ITS A FOREST RIVER ISSUE,NO ONE THIS TAKING RESPOSIBLE FOR THE PROBLEM.by the way b 4 u sign your warranty papers ,FORD doesn't cover the front alignment issues, once the cab or the box is put on the chassis, voids the warranty for the tires and the alignment.
Another issues the fans on A/C unit run all the time, it dose not cycle with the compressor on and off. they said that's the way it was designed, so you have to talk over the fan unit all the time. said its for better temp control and less power usage. go to Walmart and buy a window A/C for $300 , u'll find that the fan cycles with the compressor.
I'm a trained high voltage electrician and a HVAC mechanic 55 yrs. I know BS when i hear it, And you know how I'm talking too... i also contacted Atwood they make the A/C units. I could go on and on with the problems I'm having with this Unit. You are right the Craftsmanship lacking. They need to learn how to use a Wetvac to clean up after themselves (" I've had a number of house built over the years ,there's always some construction dust left behind")As I was told. not wood shaving and Styrofoam blowing out of the Duct work all over your bed and furniture etc.
I didn't leave my customers home like that !!!
Anyway I hope u get ur problem's resolved.

If anyone is looking for a class A RV , I'D look at other brands.
I've been working on the front problem for WEEK +

I'll keep you updated
snowman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 08:27 PM   #7

Thanks for the photos on the pocket door issue. Our trailer has the same issue, the track fell down on our last trip. I'll have to take apart an interior wall right next to our bedroom slide out. I'm not looking forward to this fix.

Warren, OR
rakane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 09:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44 View Post
Pocket Door Track Repair

As you can see the Track Header piece the stud and brace show signed of “Excellent Craftsmanship” (sic) stud and wood is all chipped or damaged when installed.

While I wouldn’t typically defend the quality of workmanship of the TT/RV industry (staples, really? WTH were they thinking?), I am not sure I agree with the people who are objecting to the “chipped or damaged” pieces of wood that can only be seen after removal of all the trim and finish panels. It serves its purpose the way it is and throwing it away in favor of a pristine 1x4 (or 2x2, or whatever size it is) would be wasteful, especially for a piece of wood that is buried. Go take a look at the pocket doors at your local home store and you will see the same (or worse.) If it affected the fit form and function of the pocket door I would agree, but these are in an area that isn’t affected. So in that case, better than is the enemy of good enough.
Daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:24 AM   #9

Sorry I paid very good money for this rig, and while I did not expect Taj Mahal I would like to have some pride in the work. There is no excuse for cracked, half pieces or wood or scrap used anyplace in the rig. It's all over the place in hidden areas not just the pocket door.
Cheap fixtures and components yea I get it and expect it, but 1x2 or pieces of scrap wood? Nope.
Im not going to give them a pass that says well at least they used something instead of nothing.

I love my RV, but I can still be a bit peeved that they short cut too many times.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44 View Post
Sorry I paid very good money for this rig, and while I did not expect Taj Mahal I would like to have some pride in the work. There is no excuse for cracked, half pieces or wood or scrap used anyplace in the rig. It's all over the place in hidden areas not just the pocket door.
Cheap fixtures and components yea I get it and expect it, but 1x2 or pieces of scrap wood? Nope.
Im not going to give them a pass that says well at least they used something instead of nothing.

I love my RV, but I can still be a bit peeved that they short cut too many times.
Looking inside the cabinetry of my FR built class C, I don’t see all grade #1 or #2 boards, I see a lot of what you might call scrap. This would be evident to a potential buyer upon inspection of the unit before purchase, and I would expect the same material grades to be hidden within the walls.

Yep, build quality and materials are poor. Disappointment results if you expected better.

Tags
door, fr3