Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #1

Fr3 quality

My wife and i were about 90% sold on a 2014 fr3. We got to the dealership,and the two of spent a good hour going over the unit. There was cracked molding, doors that don't close and over all the materials used seemed cheap. Now I know that this is not a $250k unit, but I am I being too critical? What do you current owners think?
bobdinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #2

The only thing I could find, and I went over it with a friend in great detail was the fuse for the bunk blew. Replaced it and no other issues. I built my own house and am pretty good with woodworking, and they did a decent job. The worst thing is the little bits of extra silicone calk at each seam, but that is easily rubbed off and very common to find. I have only had mine two weeks and the first big trip is not until next week but I have been working in it to add shelves etc and I am still by happy.
Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #3

Ours has been in three times for simple warranty repairs since our purchase in August. And although a dealer will tell you this is an "entry level" unit... It's still a lot of money!! I've been somewhat picky about our warranty work, then again I couldn't believe the RV we have could pass the quality control at FR. AC ducts blocked, molding/gasket around windshield fixed twice and finally replaced the third time... And a few more things.
However, I will say FR has been more than wiling to make "everything right".
We researched like crazy! Spent lots of time in each unit in the lot.... Still happy with our FR3 purchase and can't wait to go out again!

Happy camping!
Pammyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:59 AM   #4

Minor problems are common

Bobdinmd, I hear what you're saying. When we took possession of our FR3, we did an extensive walk-through and found a number of issues, including a small hole in the bathroom wall, the bathroom door latch (to keep it open) didn't line up, rust spots on the bumper and a few other things. Almost every owner that's reviewed their initial walk-through has admitted to finding items that needed to be fixed, regardless of manufacturer.

Think, however, about the last time you bought a house or new car. If you're like me, there has always been something that needed to be fixed or touched up (especially with the houses). The FR3 is no different, except it combines both the vehicle and the house.

The FR3 is an entry-level Class A. I'm was not surprised to find issues and ALL of mine were corrected by the dealer. Other entry-level coaches are the same - there are problems. If I bought a new Tiffin Phaeton, I would expect it to be perfect from the start, but that's not something my checkbook can handle.

My advice is to look at comments on sites about other manufacturers' products. You'll find they all have minor issues. In general, I think the FR3 is one of the best entry-level coaches out there and certainly a great deal for the money. But, that doesn't mean you shouldn't give serious consideration to other coaches - just stay away from those where the initial problems aren't getting fixed to the owners' satisfaction.

Good luck in your RV search.
spicyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyrv View Post
If I bought a new Tiffin Phaeton, I would expect it to be perfect from the start, but that's not something my checkbook can handle.
Even the most expensive, top of the line, coaches come off the assembly line with issues.

You are 100% right when you say to look at how the manufacturers handle these warranty issues. My FR3 came with body damage that it's currently being fixed (as well as a defective seatbelt) but it took months to get the approval. Who's fault? The dealer or Forest River? I don't know. I just want it fixed. I should have had it back a while ago. As long as it's back soon because our first trip of the season is coming up!
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:46 AM   #6

WE starting doing the paperwork to buy one and while kicking the tires.
--Front shade jammed.
--Front top bunk front wood piece broke in half.
-- Font bunk screwed kept falling out every time we opened and closed it.
-- mirror over front bunk pushed out when i touched it.
-- No caulking / sealer around any counter tops.
-- General construction / wood pieces seemed poor quality
-- no cup holder on pass side and nowhere to really put anything over there. Wife said Hell no.
-- Inside storage seemed to be half of over rigs (kitchen / living area)
-- front window rubber was falling off.

Overall started noticing the overall quality was crap. We ran the other direction and bought a Sunseeker 3010DS
parpar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #7

I bought my FR3 30Ds in September. So far, the only significant issues I've had are

(1) that molding around the windshield is coming up in one corner. Have duct-taped until it gets fixed. Dealer supposedly 'ordered the parts' but that was seven weeks ago and I haven't heard a peep out of them.
(2) Right arm on driver's seat was broken. Dealer was supposed to fix this, but at this point some six months later I have a one armed driver's seat.

Had a few other minor things: latch that keeps the bathroom door misaligned, which I got fixed; door latch mechanism was kind of hincky, also fixed; one window stuck, also got fixed.

I'm not an experienced RVer, but my impression is that the quality is reasonable. Sounds like a couple of people here got lemons. Guess that speaks to uneven QC.

That said, I'm very disappointed in the dealer's service. They act like any request I make is an imposition and that they're doing me a favor. If I don't follow-up on an issue and push on it, they NEVER call me back or follow it up themselves. I don't know if all dealers are this bad, but I wouldn't buy from this dealer again if I were to buy another RV.

Barbara
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #8

Sadly, it seems that most dealers are like that. In sure not all, but you have to stay on top of them to get anything done. In having the same issues with my plumbers at home.
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #9

I have the best luck when I call the salesman who sold me the unit and say, "I really like it and I want to tell all my friends to go see you when they buy their next unit but, your service is not .........." He has always gotten on top of the issue and made sure it was resolved ASAP.
Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #10

I heading to Mike Thompson (Santa Fe) next week to repair a leak I discovered while driving in the rain. Leak on upper right side of windshield. Sure hope it's a minor issue. I have also had minor issues which I repaired my self. Still having a great time Rv'ing in our FR3. Going to Joshua Tree National Park. Big trip coming up in July to Canada...
Rolling Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Magic View Post
I heading to Mike Thompson (Santa Fe) next week to repair a leak I discovered while driving in the rain. Leak on upper right side of windshield. Sure hope it's a minor issue. I have also had minor issues which I repaired my self. Still having a great time Rv'ing in our FR3. Going to Joshua Tree National Park. Big trip coming up in July to Canada...
we have the same problem, FR3 at repair shop now for the same leak. I will keep you posted

2014 JEEP WRANGLER WILLYS
Bobb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb36 View Post
we have the same problem, FR3 at repair shop now for the same leak. I will keep you posted

Interesting, I'll post on my results as well...
Rolling Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #13

Has anybody looked at the Jayco Precept?

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #14

The dealer called today and said the water leak was from the windshield and they got it fixed

2014 JEEP WRANGLER WILLYS
Bobb36 is offline   Reply With Quote