Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2022, 01:10 PM   #1
Retired Panpsychist

Question FR3 Rear Ladder Opinions?

In researching the 2021/22 FR3, I noticed that some of the 2022 models do not come with a rear ladder. Brent Shuttleworth and Michael Hums from FR have listed the changes between the 2021 and 2022 models in various posts and confirm the ladder delete on the newer 2022 models.

In the furture, we will be moving from a TV & TT to a motor home as it will be a better fit for our age/lifestyle. We love the current FR3 as it seems like a perfect fit for us...except...the missing rear ladder. I know we can shop around and, perhaps, find a 2022 in stock WITH a rear ladder but I wonder if it is really used that much by other owners.

Being a septuagenarian, I need all the help I can get to stabilize my maintenance trips to the rooftop. A rear ladder might also be a location for a cell antenna and other attachable items.

What are your thoughts about owning an FR3 without a rear ladder?

TIA!

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 02:14 PM   #2

We have a 2019 32DS with 22000 miles bought new. We love our FR3 and I can’t imagine not having a ladder on it. I would ask if the rear wall has the support built in for the ladder and would require a ladder before purchasing. I am on the roof frequently for maintenance, antenna’s, cleaning, retrieving balls and other things. Trying to get on the roof with a portable ladder is not something I would try and where would you store it?
Woodsyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:43 PM   #3

I would think that if Forest River is doing a "ladder delete" in future models, they're probably deleting the backers in the rear wall as well.

I use my ladder to lean my Little Giant ladder against to climb onto the roof. It sure is a lot easier to climb at an angle instead of straight up vertically! And where would I put the clothesline without a ladder!? The only thing may ladder does is carry my Little Giant & clothesline.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 07:15 PM   #4
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
I would think that if Forest River is doing a "ladder delete" in future models, they're probably deleting the backers in the rear wall as well…
It already happened. The later 2022 models do not have ladders. Brent said that as of a month ago (or so) the backers are still in the wall, however. That won’t last for long, me thinks.

2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Old 02-14-2022, 03:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
In researching the 2021/22 FR3, I noticed that some of the 2022 models do not come with a rear ladder. Brent Shuttleworth and Michael Hums from FR have listed the changes between the 2021 and 2022 models in various posts and confirm the ladder delete on the newer 2022 models.

In the furture, we will be moving from a TV & TT to a motor home as it will be a better fit for our age/lifestyle. We love the current FR3 as it seems like a perfect fit for us...except...the missing rear ladder. I know we can shop around and, perhaps, find a 2022 in stock WITH a rear ladder but I wonder if it is really used that much by other owners.

Being a septuagenarian, I need all the help I can get to stabilize my maintenance trips to the rooftop. A rear ladder might also be a location for a cell antenna and other attachable items.

What are your thoughts about owning an FR3 without a rear ladder?

TIA!
Currently a Class C owner with a walk up roof and ladder from the factory.

FR3 models have my interest but without a ladder, sorry FR that's a FR3 deal breaker for me.

I don't know if it's a supplier issue or a material issue. If supplier issue maybe FR could look at making them internally as a sub assembly.

It's not acceptable on the road and seems awkward and scary at home - exactly what would I hang onto getting up or down?

Been many times on trips where I've been compelled to climb up on the roof - checking for hail damage, removing small branches after a storm.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:53 AM   #6

Quote:
It already happened. The later 2022 models do not have ladders. Brent said that as of a month ago (or so) the backers are still in the wall, however. That won’t last for long, me thinks.
I received clarity this morning that the backers are still in the wall here from the plant. If I receive other news I will make sure to post it.

Any other questions you have please let me know.

Thanks,

Brent Shuttleworth
BShuttleworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParise View Post
Currently a Class C owner with a walk up roof and ladder from the factory.

FR3 models have my interest but without a ladder, sorry FR that's a FR3 deal breaker for me.

I don't know if it's a supplier issue or a material issue. If supplier issue maybe FR could look at making them internally as a sub assembly.

It's not acceptable on the road and seems awkward and scary at home - exactly what would I hang onto getting up or down?

Been many times on trips where I've been compelled to climb up on the roof - checking for hail damage, removing small branches after a storm.
Thank you for the concerns, in regards to the ladder this is a supplier issue. We are trying to work through this, and are still installing the backers in the walls of coach.

I would contact your dealers parts department and check with them on ladders as well. Many parts suppliers dealers purchase from will sell ladders as well.

Thanks for the input,

Brent Shuttleworth
Old 02-15-2022, 10:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BShuttleworth View Post
Thank you for the concerns, in regards to the ladder this is a supplier issue. We are trying to work through this, and are still installing the backers in the walls of coach.

I would contact your dealers parts department and check with them on ladders as well. Many parts suppliers dealers purchase from will sell ladders as well.

Thanks for the input,

Brent Shuttleworth
Brent,

Thank you for clarifying. You have my continued interest in the FR3 model.

Regards

Chris
Old 02-15-2022, 10:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParise View Post
Brent,

Thank you for clarifying. You have my continued interest in the FR3 model.

Regards

Chris
Anytime Chris, I hope you have a great day.

Brent Shuttleworth
Old 02-15-2022, 12:47 PM   #10
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:

I would contact your dealers parts department and check with them on ladders as well. Many parts suppliers dealers purchase from will sell ladders as well...
Quote:
I received clarity this morning that the backers are still in the wall here from the plant. If I receive other news I will make sure to post it.

Any other questions you have please let me know...
Thank you, Brent!

I'll contact my local FR dealer and see if alternate sourcing is available. Glad to hear the backer boards are still being installed!

I truly appreciate the support you and Michael Hums provide to the FR3 thread!

Cheers!

2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Old 02-15-2022, 09:48 PM   #11

Quote:
… but I wonder if it is really used that much by other owners.
I’ve used the ladder to install vent fan covers and to trim branches of a tree in an RV park that were touching my rig. You’ll also want a ladder on occasion to wash the grime off your rig.

You could buy a collapsible or folding ladder and store that in one of your passthrus. You may even find that easier to climb than a mounted RV ladder.

So, I wouldn’t let the lack of a ladder be a show-stopper for me.
2011 Honda CRV toad
RVwino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 03:55 PM   #12

A straight ladder leaned against the RV is not secure on top, it could be on uneven ground on the bottom. Although easier to climb, as it is on an angle, is more dangerous because it may shift. If the FR3 is quoted having a rear ladder are they honoring their quote. Perhaps installing the ladder at a latter date. IMHO a rear mounted ladder is a must.
dorider4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 04:13 PM   #13

Collapsible ladder is much more versatile. Easy to store. Don’t need to worry if ladder fasteners are loose. You still must be very careful either way. IMO��
SFBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:50 AM   #14

Missing Ladder

I'm new to the forum and Forest River, having had a Grand Design Reflection trailer for the past 5 years. What's a FR3? I just bought a 2022 Forest River Forester MBS 2401b and it came without the ladder. The dealer said they were obsolete. He said they could find an after market and install it so we are having them do that. There really is no room in the storage areas for a ladder and the back ladder is so handy for carrying additional items (like fishing pole case) that don't fit inside so it made no sense not to have it. But then again they have deleted the spare tire as well.
Bruce511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 12:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce511 View Post
What's an FR3?
It’s an entry-level Class A motorhome that is built on the Ford F53 chassis. It has a great floor plan and a phenomenal amount of storage space.
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/class-a-motorhomes/fr3
2011 Honda CRV toad
Old 03-12-2022, 04:46 PM   #16

I ordered my FR3 33DS in September 2021 and am still waiting on it. At time of ordering all literature and website noted that came with ladder. I know there have been a lot of supplier issues but also a lot of price increases. Would think a ladder would eventually be provided.
azloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 12:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloon View Post
At time of ordering all literature and website noted that came with ladder.
They have this little caveat on their website:
"However, during the model year, it may be necessary to make revisions and Forest River, Inc. reserves the right to make changes without notice, including prices, colors, materials, equipment and specifications as well as the addition of new models and the discontinuance of models shown on this website. Therefore, please consult with your Forest River, Inc. dealer and confirm the existence of any material, design or specifications that are material to your purchase decision."
It was only after I purchased it and was trouble-shooting why the heatpump didn't work that I learned FR had availability issues with the AC/Heatpump combo unit and built it with AC-only units.
2011 Honda CRV toad
Old 03-13-2022, 05:02 PM   #18
Retired Panpsychist

It would be great if someone with a 2021/2022 30DS that has the ladder could look to see if the manufacturer's/supplier's name and, possibly, model number are marked somewhere. I know folks are "un-hibernating" their MHs soon so perhaps a good soul could help out!

Brent - any idea who supplies these to Forest River?

Thanks!

2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Old 03-13-2022, 07:59 PM   #19

Quote:
It would be great if someone with a 2021/2022 30DS that has the ladder could look to see if the manufacturer's/supplier's name and, possibly, model number are marked somewhere. I know folks are "un-hibernating" their MHs soon so perhaps a good soul could help out!

Thanks!
https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Car...7219450&sr=8-3
Old 03-14-2022, 10:17 AM   #20

Quote:

Thanks!
The solution is already offered, please review post #7

In the meantime, ladders are available on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Car...7219450&sr=8-3

Tags
fr3