Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #1

FR3 review anyone?

I'd be interested if anyone who has purchased an FR3 would like to post a review on this forum.
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #2

Hi...I am in the research phase also and like the FR3. Also, I am looking at similar models: ACE, Storm, Small Vista/Sunseeker, Pursuit, and the Newmar Baystar Sport. Are you considering anything other than the FR3? If so, would you rule anything out?
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Hi...I am in the research phase also and like the FR3. Also, I am looking at similar models: ACE, Storm, Small Vista/Sunseeker, Pursuit, and the Newmar Baystar Sport. Are you considering anything other than the FR3? If so, would you rule anything out?
We are picking up our new 2014 FR this weekend I will let you know what we think. Really excited!
Marbles5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:43 AM   #4

That is so exciting...I am very happy for you guys. Yes, please let me know you thoughts about your new RV. Good luck!
Old 06-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #5

OK well I backed out today because we realized that we may be making a mistake by buying a unit here in Phoenix that only has one 13,500 btu unit. Cooling here is really big deal and not sure that the one unit can do the job. Also unit had to have drop down bunk fixed and rattle in pass window before we can pick it up. I was really hoping I could talk to someone who has one to help me determine if I am being too cautious? Please hhelp because we really love everything else about the FR3 much better than the Storm or ACE but the class C part of the generator and AC makes me nervous. I am open to any comments from owners.
Marbles5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #6

I think you made the right decision to not take delivery of your FR3 until the dealer fixes your concerns. I too am concerned about the a/c issue. Most manufacturers offer an upgrade to the 15,000 btu unit; however, if the single unit fails then you are SOL for a/c. Although a second unit is more costly, I will opt for that as opposed to the upgrade...but it does require another hole in the roof, just be watchful for possible leaks. This must have been a disappointment not being able to take delivery when you wanted, but I suggest you remain firm in that ALL of your concerns are addressed, and addressed according to YOUR expectations; not the dealer's. Although I've never bought an RV before, I've had boats and dealers do not care after the $$ is exchanged. Good Luck!
Old 06-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbles5 View Post
OK well I backed out today because we realized that we may be making a mistake by buying a unit here in Phoenix that only has one 13,500 btu unit. Cooling here is really big deal and not sure that the one unit can do the job. Also unit had to have drop down bunk fixed and rattle in pass window before we can pick it up. I was really hoping I could talk to someone who has one to help me determine if I am being too cautious? Please hhelp because we really love everything else about the FR3 much better than the Storm or ACE but the class C part of the generator and AC makes me nervous. I am open to any comments from owners.
What is your main concern - the AC issue or the things that need to be fixed?

Not sure what you mean by "class c part of the generator and AC", but the 4kw generator and 13.5 AC is pretty standard for this size of coach, whether class A or class C. If you plan to do a significant amount of traveling in exceptionally hot climates (and you very well may, being located in PHX) then perhaps looking at a coach with 2 AC's and a 5.5kw gen would be wise. Having said that, our class C has a 4kw gen and single 13.5 btu AC and we've camped in the Texas heat...well over 100...and it sufficiently cooled the coach.

As for the rattle in the window and drop-down bunk needing repair - not sure exactly what repairs need to be done, but I doubt I would back out on a deal because a few things need to be addressed. You will virtually always find some issues in a new coach that will need to be addressed. Unless the dealer was refusing to address them, it shouldn't be too much cause for concern.

Hope this helps.

Mike
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #8

I am new to R/V's but have a new FR3 30DS I just went on a 5000 mi trip with it. I do live in south FL. This is a nice R/V with a great Price point. Over all I am pleased with the FR3. I did have the steps fail, but Forest River was great and replaced the steps with better ones at their factory as I passed by. Again Great Customer service. I also broke down in Niagara Falls. It was pinched fuel pump wire fixed next morning by Ford dealer in Buffalo also great customer service. All other problems I had were due to not having a manual specific to the FR3 It is a combo manual that is lacking and confusing. FYI I used to be an airline mechanic so reading manuals is easy. The FR3 desperately needs vent fans and the A/C is on the weak side. It needs a ladder for the great front bunk. The selling feature of this R/V. Also don't like the shower curtain.
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #9

I "met" one a couple of weeks ago in West Yellowstone. It's new owner approached my husband because we have a Georgetown 280 and asked if we had trouble with our shower leaking. We don't and after touring theirs, I know why. Our shower is one piece and has sliding glass doors. Their's is a 3 sided surround sitting on top of the shower tub with a plastic curtain. The guy had made a caulk dyke across each end attempting to redirect the water back into the shower rather than onto the floor. He said it worked for a while but the water is leaking behind the surround and onto the floor.

My DH & I couldn't believe how much of the FR3 was copied from the THOR Ace. I liked the general layout. The slide seemed deeper than ours and it may be because the kitchen is laid out in a straight line rather than L shaped. I never have and still don't like the divided shower/toilet area and really dislike the plastic shower curtain. I did like the flooring. Much less carpet and more wood look vinyl which really looked nice. It had a huge U shaped dinette which we really liked. Ours is barely big enough for 2 but this one would comfortably sit 4. We have 2 steps into the interior steps but this one had 3 which was a check in the + column.

I liked the "coat closet" at the door too. The bedroom seemed about the same size as ours but didn't have the window between the closets. It did have end windows in the large front slide though.

The couple had just gotten it and was on their 1st trip! They didn't have a destination but was just going to wander around till they were ready to go home to California. They did say they were going to pay FR a visit though and point out the shower issue.

Neither said anything about the A/C. It might not have been an issue yet for them though since it wasn't that hot and the humidity was non existent.

There is a lot to like about it!

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #10

Update I decided to check my A/C ducts and they were clear. But found the inner seal at the A/C, (not to out side) but from the intake to discharge air was displaced. Allowing the cool air just to be sucked back into the A/C without going trough the duct system Also the foil tape was partially blocking the driver side duct pass trough. I opened up the driver side duct, and sealed off the internal air leak by pushing the seal back in and further sealing with foil tape. The bed room ducts greatly improved performance. I still think the A/C is too small, but it did improve.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
Graduate Member

shoot - 3 inches to tall to fit in my garage!
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #12

Another trip this one to Sanibel Island FL for Labor Day weekend. Stayed at periwinkle. My 20 yo son did not come went back to college. My 17 yo son said A/C worked a lot better. Also discovered A/C works better if thermostat not set too low by kids. Need to add bike rack to rear stairs. No problem with front bunk. Plan on putting better nozzle in shower.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #13

I have had an FR3 since May up here in Iowa. This summer, with 98 temps outside and A/C going all day long, the inside got up to 83F with it set for 76 temp desired. This seems to be the running average separation between outside and inside.
The shower out flow was solved with a plastic corner seal. Check other FR3 theads for a picture.
My biggest upsets are on design. I would like an other foot to the bed slide out making it easier to change cloths while standing in front of the closets. Second is in there being no 110 outlet available to outside use. Such as a set of string lights to put around the door area.
Ron Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #14

Hey on my FR3 there is a GFI 110 outlet in the forward most storage compartment on the passenger side and it has a white screw open access plug to run an electrical cord trough. Also I was referring to the hand held spray and hose in the shower being cheap.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #15

The DW and I picked up our FR3 last week. We really like it, but have the same issues/concerns as some others. The shower problem is [hopefully] going to get fixed with a Newline retractable shower door. AC hasn't been a major issue - yet, although we did our walk-through inspection on a day that was mid-90s and it was a little warmer than I would have liked inside. It cooled off quickly the next day, so no issues since. We are going to get a TV in the bedroom, which is something missing from the FR3 options list that many others have. I want to mount it like the TV above the kitchen sink so we don't lose all that space between the wardrobes. We are taking the coach back for installation of three fantastic fans with covers (should help with the heat, too), sani-con and wheel alignment (which was supposed to happen PRIOR to us taking delivery). When those items are finished, we should have a pretty livable coach.
spicyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #16

Wow! Had this FR3 since June and never noticed that set of plugs being there! I keep my cleaning chemicals in that bay when parked and add the wood blocks I use under my leveling jacks when moving around. Guess I will have to explore more!!!
Ron Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Chamber View Post
Wow! Had this FR3 since June and never noticed that set of plugs being there! I keep my cleaning chemicals in that bay when parked and add the wood blocks I use under my leveling jacks when moving around. Guess I will have to explore more!!!
Do you have the tv outside? I do and don't have the plug in the storage compartment
Dog Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Lady View Post
Do you have the tv outside? I do and don't have the plug in the storage compartment
There seems to be quite a few running changes on the FR3. Our FR3 has the outside TV and the outlet in the compartment next to the steps. I run a surge protector outside of it for my awning lights and other electrical.

On the shower I added splash guards, make sure to seal the top piece to the bottom tub at the seam behind the splash guards. I used Butyl cut at an angle to run the water back into the tub. So far so good. (Can't take credit for this, came from another user on IRV2). Only leaking is splatter that gets past the curtain.

So far we have had some issues, but love the coach. Going on our 6th trip this weekend.
socalrcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrcer View Post
There seems to be quite a few running changes on the FR3. Our FR3 has the outside TV and the outlet in the compartment next to the steps. I run a surge protector outside of it for my awning lights and other electrical. On the shower I added splash guards, make sure to seal the top piece to the bottom tub at the seam behind the splash guards. I used Butyl cut at an angle to run the water back into the tub. So far so good. (Can't take credit for this, came from another user on IRV2). Only leaking is splatter that gets past the curtain. So far we have had some issues, but love the coach. Going on our 6th trip this weekend.
It's a new design, so changes are inevitable, which tells me FR cares about the consumer. They do listen. Is it the storage compartment or the door right next to the steps? When we camp, I run an extension line from the main electrical box not to runoff the coach. However, I do like to plus in a small spot light for,when I let the dogs out in the pen. I think with my coach, the only outside outlet is where the tv is located. I guess I could have on added.
Dog Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #20

TV on outside.