Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2023, 06:10 PM   #1

FR3 toad vehicle

Hello!
We own a 2019 FR3 34DS and are looking to purchase a toad. Has anyone towed a Mini Cooper S Countryman? The 2023 is about 3600lbs and we are looking at a front wheel drive, not an all wheel drive. We have been told that we can tow it on a dolly. We do not want to make a mistake in purchasing it if it doesn't do the job. The Mini salesman says "yes", but want to see if anyone else has had any experience with the Mini. Thanks!
Sdmerriott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 06:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Title and post edited to prevent confusion with tow vehicles for trailers.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 06:41 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdmerriott View Post
Hello!
We own a 2019 FR3 34DS and are looking to purchase a toad. Has anyone towed a Mini Cooper S Countryman? The 2023 is about 3600lbs and we are looking at a front wheel drive, not an all wheel drive. We have been told that we can tow it on a dolly. We do not want to make a mistake in purchasing it if it doesn't do the job. The Mini salesman says "yes", but want to see if anyone else has had any experience with the Mini. Thanks!
Can’t comment on your questions specific to a Mini Cooper, but depending on how often you may end up towing it with a dolly……you may find that becomes a little tedious after time. Flat towing is much simpler, however, your selection of vehicles that MAYbe flat towed is much more restrictive.
Also….with dolly units, you have to figure how to move it around when/if not connected to the motorhome. Some campsites may not have room for the dolly on your site. Something to consider.

Getting a toad is a whooooooole new topic.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:55 AM   #4

Toad

Thank you for your comments Ken. You are so right with what to do with the dolly once at our campsite. There is so much to consider - it surely would be much easier if we arrange for a rental vehicle to be delivered once we reach our destination!
Have a great day!
Susan
Sdmerriott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:21 AM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Thank you for your comments Ken. You are so right with what to do with the dolly once at our campsite. There is so much to consider - it surely would be much easier if we arrange for a rental vehicle to be delivered once we reach our destination!
Have a great day!
Susan
Most of the places WE camp at, are nowhere near a rental location…..let alone the companies that deliver.

Deliver you a rental huh? How does the delivery person go back to the office?
Send two rental people in two vehicles to you…..one to deliver, one to shuttle them both back to the office?
Or…..rental arrives, then you drive them back to the office, then you drive back to campground again?
And……you’re paying so much a mile?

Yeah. Rentals. Not as easy as one might imagine.

That’s why we had a toad…..when we needed one.

Ken and Terry
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 03-23-2023, 10:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Hello!
5 years ago we were in your current situation, trying to decide what to tow and how to tow it ! We concluded that no matter what vehicle we chose to buy, there will be a way to tow it (4-down, dollie or trailer). Since we are a 1 car family, we decided to get a new CRV. It could not be towed 4-down, so we decided a dollie with disc brakes would work better for us rather than a trailer. We bought an Acme Eze Tow dollie and it has worked just fine for us. Check out it's features (brakes, lightweight, can be stored upright).

https://cartowdolly.com/

Here's a list of 4-down towables.....

https://www.fmca.com/motorhome/videos/player/24/38

Have you purchased your Mini yet ? According to the Mini's owners manual you can use a tow dollie.....

https://www.miniusa.com/content/dam/...SOP_3-2022.pdf

2022 FR3 34DS
2021 FR Wildwood Lodge 42FK
2017 Thor Chateau 24B
ForestGump34DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:07 AM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestGump34DS View Post
5 years ago we were in your current situation, trying to decide what to tow and how to tow it ! We concluded that no matter what vehicle we chose to buy, there will be a way to tow it (4-down, dollie or trailer). Since we are a 1 car family, we decided to get a new CRV. It could not be towed 4-down, so we decided a dollie with disc brakes would work better for us rather than a trailer. We bought an Acme Eze Tow dollie and it has worked just fine for us. Check out it's features (brakes, lightweight, can be stored upright).

https://cartowdolly.com/

Here's a list of 4-down towables.....

https://www.fmca.com/motorhome/videos/player/24/38

Have you purchased your Mini yet ? According to the Mini's owners manual you can use a tow dollie.....

https://www.miniusa.com/content/dam/...SOP_3-2022.pdf

In using a dolly, am I right to assume your CRV is the FWD version, and not AWD? You didn’t mention.

Ken and Terry
Old 03-23-2023, 10:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
In using a dolly, am I right to assume your CRV is the FWD version, and not AWD? You didn’t mention.
You're assumption is correct....Front Wheel Drive !!!

2022 FR3 34DS
2021 FR Wildwood Lodge 42FK
2017 Thor Chateau 24B
ForestGump34DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:49 AM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestGump34DS View Post
You're assumption is correct....Front Wheel Drive !!!
For the benefit of others that get a lot of information from these forums, it’s always nice to give the specifics that work.

CRV models before 2015 were flat towable before Honda introduced CVT transmissions.

AWD CRV cannot be dolly towed.
FWD CRV can be dolly towed.

Sometimes the details like this confuse people as to why they see some toads that can and cannot be towed.

Ken and Terry
Old 03-28-2023, 12:09 PM   #10

Im seriously looking at the Ford Mavrick Hybrid, seems you can flat tow this model only (Hybrid)
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:35 AM   #11
Happy Camper

Just prior to buying the FR3 I investigated what toads are really 4 wheels down towable. After careful consideration we purchased a 2019 chevy Equinox LT 2.0 that allows for 4 wheels down towing. I verified this with the dealership service mgr and called GM directly as a salesperson (all do respect to those in that field ) would have told us anything for the sale of the car. I didn't want to deal with another towing device - dolly - car transport trailer behind the FR3. It's challenging enough when arriving into a campground to find space, plus it would be another set of tires ect. on the trailer to maintain.
Smiling as we're Driving!
EGRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:35 AM   #12
FR3 Regional Sales

Send a message via ICQ to Barry Hughes
Hello SDMERRIOTT. I travel with a book titled "Guide to Dinghy Towing" it's a handy reference for all vehicles that might be considered to be towed. By Make, Model, Year it list what can be towed and if modifications are necessary, what they would be. It's always best to consult with the manufacturer to confirm the listed suggestions. Go to "motorhome.com/towguide" and look on-line for a quick reference. Good Luck!
Barry Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 09:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44 View Post
Im seriously looking at the Ford Mavrick Hybrid, seems you can flat tow this model only (Hybrid)
I like the Maverick but under no circumstances will I pay $7500 dealer markup over msrp.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I like the Maverick but under no circumstances will I pay $7500 dealer markup over msrp.
Absolutely agree -
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 09:48 AM   #15
edm

We tow a 2019 kia soul front wheel drive with automatic trans. We use a tow dolly and we have over 20000 tow miles on it and no problems at all. Our dolly has electric brakes on it ao we didn’t have to go to the large expense of a brake system, lighting or tow bar. I am able to put the car on and tie it down in less than 15 min.
We have towed this all over the west including Colorado mountains and to the east coast. Not one single problem.
Good luck and happy travels.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 08:38 PM   #16

Tow dolly

Quote:
Hello!
I had a tow dolly pulling a Honda Fit. Tow Dollie’s are a pain in the rear. Getting car on center, constantly checking straps and laying on the ground to attach safety chains.
Purchased 2 door Jeep Wrangler and a Blue Ox tow system. Best purchase I’ve ever made. Simple on and off, quick to do, safer.
Rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 05:35 AM   #17

Mini Cooper

Quote:
Hello!
We have a 2012 Forest River Lexington 283GTS. I have been towing a 2008 Mini Copper FWD on a tow dolly for 8 years with no issues. Our dolly has a swivel platform. It is a bit of a pain to install the tire straps as there is not much clearance in the wheel well but you get used to it. Make sure the steering wheel is locked. I use the seat belt for this. Check the straps after 1/2 hr or so and then periodically after that and after rough roads as they do loosen up or stretch when new.
BillWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fr3, tow, tow vehicle