Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2016, 04:12 PM   #1

Fresh Water Tank Over Filling By Gremlins

We recently took a trip to Sedona with the Grand Kids for there first RV/Camping trip, they are 6 & 7 and the girls loved it. We stayed in Rancho Sedona RV Resort, I highly recommend this place its lovely and Oak Creek runs along the West side of the property.

Now to my point with the Fresh Water Tank and the Gremlins, Here is the issue I had, When driving on the road I will usually keep my fresh water tank about 1/4 to 1/3 full for flushes and hand washing water to get me through until we reach a camp site or our destination that has full hook ups, at that point I hook ups my city water, electrical & sewer.
What I noticed the next morning after arriving in Sedona was water dripping out of the Fresh Water overflow hose and my Fresh Water Tank was full not at the point of 1/4 - 1/3. I always use a pressure regulator on the city water coming in to my RV.
Has any other FR3 family member had this same problem ?
I'm thinking there must be CHECK VALVE somewhere in the system that might be sticking....or it might be those Gremlins-
davecole14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:21 PM   #2

You think correctly. It is almost always the check valve. It is located right at the fresh water pump.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:57 PM   #3

It can also be a result of faulty installation of the hoses causing an air dam to fail.
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:10 AM   #4

Just happened to me as well, though my tank was full. I opened the cover until it stopped dripping and all has been well since. Still don't know the cause.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:07 AM   #5

I just had a similar problem. I have the SureFlo water pump which has a built in check valve. Replaced it and the situation appears to be fixed. Although I used the same model pump it is much quieter and pumps better.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:11 PM   #6

This happened to me as well. In an earlier forum post on the Georgetown section, I received the following procedure that worked like a charm for me. Dealer said replace, forum folks suggested reset!

Turn off city water
Turn off water pump if on.
Turn on any faucet wait 1 min
Turn on water pump
let water run 1 min
Turn off faucet
turn off water pump
Wait for water pump to quit running
Turn on city water

This reseats the check valve in the water pump. Do not run the water pump when connected to city water.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I just had a similar problem. I have the SureFlo water pump which has a built in check valve. Replaced it and the situation appears to be fixed. Although I used the same model pump it is much quieter and pumps better.
X2!!!
Lynlanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:24 PM   #8

Gremlins

Dollars to donuts this is most likely the check valve in the water pump sticking. Follow the advice of senior member "360True" and you should be fine.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:46 AM   #9

Fresh Water Tank Over Filling By Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post
This happened to me as well. In an earlier forum post on the Georgetown section, I received the following procedure that worked like a charm for me. Dealer said replace, forum folks suggested reset!

Turn off city water
Turn off water pump if on.
Turn on any faucet wait 1 min
Turn on water pump
let water run 1 min
Turn off faucet
turn off water pump
Wait for water pump to quit running
Turn on city water

This reseats the check valve in the water pump. Do not run the water pump when connected to city water.

Thank you 360true!
I had the same issue and this worked like a charm..
Landshark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #10
Traveling Two

This same thing just happened to me and I followed the steps outlined by 360true and everything corrected its self. Thank you 360true and this forum. Saved me a trip to the shop. Problem started when I had pump on and then connected trailer to city water at same time.
jerryliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:43 PM   #11

x2 Thanks
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank