RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 10:19 AM   #41

So, in a worse case scenario, how much oil would ever stay behind if the engine was warmed up well then drained? Especially if one follows recommended oil change intervals.

And...how bad could that possibly be when the residual oil is mixed with the new oil, especially in diesels with 12 quarts of oil?

Do we overthink things?

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:54 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post
Laugh at others if that's what makes you feel good. Before laughing out loud, do you understand that even if some dirty oil can't drain, extended drain time will still get more of what will drain?

While laughing at others, can you prove Fumoto prevents a complete drain? I don't use the Fumoto, so I can't analyze or experiment, but the fact that it threads into the oil pan proves nothing. Are you assuming it the threads are too long and extend above the the pan floor? Do you have reliable information on this? I'm sure Fumoto considered this issue, and I see no reason they would design a plug that traps oil.

Even if it did, whatever dirty oil that comes out in that 20+ minutes still comes out. Even if Fumoto does retain dirty oil, that's no reason to leave even more dirty oil by truncating drain time.

Still laughing?
LOL...draining it overnight? You will never get 100% of the oil out. Does it matter...not much. The fact is that you have a set level of oil with a Fumoto valve that you will never get out. Draining overnight will never get that amount out. Getting the last fraction of a percent basically does very little.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:11 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post

Its not a black tank. If you drain the oil when it is warm any junk is going to be in suspension. If there is sludge then that is a totally different issue that needs to be addressed.
X2---In warm oil, the harmful stuff will be in suspension and flow fine at any reasonable drain rate
Old 10-30-2020, 11:24 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbill View Post
LOL...draining it overnight? You will never get 100% of the oil out. Does it matter...not much. The fact is that you have a set level of oil with a Fumoto valve that you will never get out. Draining overnight will never get that amount out. Getting the last fraction of a percent basically does very little.
Who said anything about 100%? Some oil is always trapped in my diesel.

You were originally laughing at a 20 minute drain. I have checked to see the amount that flows AFTER the stream stops, after 20 minutes and overnight. I see it, and I want it out. It costs me nothing and can't hurt. Your need to publish your laughing at me is curious. I wonder what need that fills.

I still don't see your proof that Fumoto traps MORE oil than a plug. Not that I use one, but repeatedly stating something as a fact without supporting it is curious.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:36 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
So, in a worse case scenario, how much oil would ever stay behind if the engine was warmed up well then drained? Especially if one follows recommended oil change intervals.

And...how bad could that possibly be when the residual oil is mixed with the new oil, especially in diesels with 12 quarts of oil?

Do we overthink things?

Rich
No, it's stone cold simple: (1) pull plug; (2) drain 'til it stops, leave the rest; (3) replace plug.

It's so simple it's the same for my 3-quart motorcycle as my 15-quart Superduty.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:56 PM   #46

Quote:
No, it's stone cold simple: (1) pull plug; (2) drain 'til it stops, leave the rest; (3) replace plug.

It's so simple it's the same for my 3-quart motorcycle as my 15-quart Superduty.
Exactly! Which is my point that you can't get all the oil out. WHICH is why leaving it draining overnight accomplishes essentially nothing. I was just pointing out for the people that use Fumoto valves that they are leaving additional oil in the pan...it doesn't matter....just like leaving it draining for hours on end doesn't matter.

If you have ever disassembled an engine, there is close to a qt of oil that never makes it to the pan when you turn it off. Getting that last 1/2 of an ounce is kinda pointless.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:16 PM   #47

Quote:
Exactly! Which is my point that you can't get all the oil out. WHICH is why leaving it draining overnight accomplishes essentially nothing. I was just pointing out for the people that use Fumoto valves that they are leaving additional oil in the pan...it doesn't matter....just like leaving it draining for hours on end doesn't matter.

If you have ever disassembled an engine, there is close to a qt of oil that never makes it to the pan when you turn it off. Getting that last 1/2 of an ounce is kinda pointless.
Although YOU say "leaving it draining overnight accomplishes essentially nothing," I say "leaving it draining overnight" drains out exactly the amount of oil that will drain out overnight. The fact that some remains is of no consequence to me.

I understand you disagree, but I have seen what comes out, and I want it out, especially for the 3-quart motorcycle, but similarly for the 15-quart diesel. Costs nothing and does no harm. May do some good. If nothing else, it makes me feel better, having done all that I can do.

Experience indicates you will come back and say that extended drains are worthless. Please don't bother; I get that you disagree.

To avoid another round of incessant assertion/denial, let's just say that you drain as long as you like, I drain as long as I like, and anyone with their popcorn reading this already has heard more than enough from both of us on oil drain period. PERIOD, FULL STOP.

Thank you for your views.

Old 10-30-2020, 01:35 PM   #48

Quote:
Although YOU say "leaving it draining overnight accomplishes essentially nothing," I say "leaving it draining overnight" drains out exactly the amount of oil that will drain out overnight. The fact that some remains is of no consequence to me.

I understand you disagree, but I have seen what comes out, and I want it out, especially for the 3-quart motorcycle, but similarly for the 15-quart diesel. Costs nothing and does no harm. May do some good. If nothing else, it makes me feel better, having done all that I can do.

Experience indicates you will come back and say that extended drains are worthless. Please don't bother; I get that you disagree.

To avoid another round of incessant assertion/denial, let's just say that you drain as long as you like, I drain as long as I like, and anyone with their popcorn reading this already has heard more than enough from both of us on oil drain period. PERIOD, FULL STOP.

Thank you for your views.

What I am saying is that draining 99.5% of the oil is sufficient. What you are saying is its better to drain 99.6%. If that 0.1% is important to you, then you should continue doing it.

My whole point is that people that put in Fumoto valves will leave some oil in the bottom of their pan. I was just pointing out that they aren't getting it all out. If people who HAVE Fumoto valves think that draining overnight is helping themselves since they are leaving 1/8" to 1/4" of oil in their pan anyway, they are really wasting their time.

This thread is about Fumoto valves last I looked.

A friend of mine installed a Fumoto valve on a Subaru. He drained his oil and then took off the Fumoto valve and measured what else came out. He got around a cup of oil. He put his regular drain plug back in after that. Depends upon the design of the pan and the depth of the threads. To me, changing all but a cup of oil would still be fine. When I change the oil in my boat using a suction pump, I would be lucky to get all but a cup.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:58 PM   #49

I use an EZ Oil Drain valve. they have different hose ends to choose from that are removable.

https://www.oildrainvalve.net/

Very similar to Fumoto you can see the review here

https://oildrainvalves.com/fumoto-vs-ez.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ezoil.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	242217  
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Old 10-30-2020, 02:25 PM   #50

I would actually use this type if I was going to install one. Less chance of it getting knocked off by road debris or the lever getting opened by road debris.

https://smile.amazon.com/Stahlbus-Dr...4085821&sr=8-9
Old 10-30-2020, 03:19 PM   #51

Quote:
What I am saying is that draining 99.5% of the oil is sufficient. What you are saying is its better to drain 99.6%. If that 0.1% is important to you, then you should continue doing it.

My whole point is that people that put in Fumoto valves will leave some oil in the bottom of their pan. I was just pointing out that they aren't getting it all out. If people who HAVE Fumoto valves think that draining overnight is helping themselves since they are leaving 1/8" to 1/4" of oil in their pan anyway, they are really wasting their time.

This thread is about Fumoto valves last I looked.

A friend of mine installed a Fumoto valve on a Subaru. He drained his oil and then took off the Fumoto valve and measured what else came out. He got around a cup of oil. He put his regular drain plug back in after that. Depends upon the design of the pan and the depth of the threads. To me, changing all but a cup of oil would still be fine. When I change the oil in my boat using a suction pump, I would be lucky to get all but a cup.
"Experience indicates you will come back and say that extended drains are worthless. Please don't bother; I get that you disagree."

I KNEW I could count on you to fulfill my prognostication.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!
Old 10-30-2020, 05:29 PM   #52

Iíve put one on every vehicle weíve owed for the last 15-years. Unless Iím changing the oil filter I can pretty much do a drip less oil change. Highly recommend.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS
Old 10-30-2020, 06:22 PM   #53

Quote:
"Experience indicates you will come back and say that extended drains are worthless. Please don't bother; I get that you disagree."

I KNEW I could count on you to fulfill my prognostication.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!
Guess I didn't realize you were the gatekeeper of who and when people can post.

EDIT: I just realized you were the guy harassing me in instant messages 8 months ago. I see you haven't changed your style.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:42 PM   #54
Site Team

Thread being closed for site team review

I often say to myself, "I can't believe that cloning machine worked."
Closed Thread

Tags
drain, valve