Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #1

Gas use at idle? FR3-30DS

I found what the gas use is for the generator, was wondering:
How much does the engine use at idle?
Once in a while I get stuck using a truck stop overnight. I have used the generator to keep the heater or A/C running thru the night.
The engine is less noisy than the generator so thought it might work better for running the heater overnight instead.
Ron Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:18 PM   #2
RJJ

Sorry don't have an answer to your fuel usage question, but the furnace runs off of 12v so generator is not needed for overnight. As far as AC, I doubt the dash unit would keep up, so if AC was needed generator is really the only option.

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:37 PM   #3

If your just running the heater, no need to run either engine. We do it all the time during these cooler months on overnight trips while on the road. We'll fire up the gen in the morning to use the microwave/hairdryer and top off the batteries. Then back on the road...
Old 10-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #4

Personally I would not make a habbit of this, that is wear and tear on your engine. If you get a leak in radiator while sleeping, that could be bad.

But as someone else noted, if you are in furnace mode, you can run heat from your batteries. No engines needed
linchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:39 PM   #5

As a side note, I just read in the manual that extended idle times puts your vehicle into heavy use mode and requires enhanced maintenance. My manual states that extended idles and towing to use "this schedule" instead of the regular schedule.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:29 PM   #6

I posted a thread on August 24, 2014, giving our Ford E450 chassis gasoline consumption with the A/C running and with it not running while parked. Your Class A will probably have about the same fuel consumption when parked with the A/C running. You can find the thread by copying and pasting the thread name below into the Search window.

Running Coach A/C vs. Cab A/C While Driving

Here's the summary:

Idle speed, A/C off: 0.55 gallon per hour
Idle speed, A/C on: 0.67 gallon per hour
2000 rpm, A/C off: 1.85 gallons per hour
2000 rpm, A/C on: 2.02 gallons per hour

For comparison, our Onan 4000 watt generator uses about 0.5 gallons per hour at half load, which is about the load with only the A/C and miscellaneous small loads.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by linchat View Post
As a side note, I just read in the manual that extended idle times puts your vehicle into heavy use mode and requires enhanced maintenance. My manual states that extended idles and towing to use "this schedule" instead of the regular schedule.
I also recall either being told that motor home usage is automatically considered "heavy use mode". Unfortunately, I don't remember where I heard that. It may have been a Ford dealer that was very interested in having the vehicle brought in more frequently, generating more revenue for him.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
I also recall either being told that motor home usage is automatically considered "heavy use mode". Unfortunately, I don't remember where I heard that. It may have been a Ford dealer that was very interested in having the vehicle brought in more frequently, generating more revenue for him.

Phil
Old 10-26-2016, 10:37 AM   #9

With reference to "heavy use mode", look at it this way. The Ford manual gives several "Special Operating Conditions" that require reduced service intervals. Included in these are trailer towing and operating near the gross weight rating. Most motorhomes are operated near their gross weight. I follow the "Special Operating Conditions" schedules.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
With reference to "heavy use mode", look at it this way. The Ford manual gives several "Special Operating Conditions" that require reduced service intervals. Included in these are trailer towing and operating near the gross weight rating. Most motorhomes are operated near their gross weight. I follow the "Special Operating Conditions" schedules.
I am in agreement with you. Personally, I think that using the RV in idle is just like adding miles to it, more wear and tear on the belts, compressor and all else. Much more expensive to repair. So in my infinite wisdom , idling the RV probably not the best thing to do.

Not so much worried about wear on the engine, but all the other components that are connected to it.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:12 PM   #11

Extra wear from excessive idling has been established for decades in taxi and police fleets. It has to be even worse with today's higher running temperatures, catalysts, and thinner motor oils. The transmissions will also run hotter and break down the fluid sooner.

I used to do it with my SUV when we were stopped to eat or shop and the dog was in the vehicle. The rear main seal in the engine started leaking, and a year later the A/C compressor seized. Those are uncommon failures for Hondas, so I think the long idling periods at least contributed to the failures.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:59 PM   #12

Thanks all for the comments!
Was more curiosity then intended use.
Next concept would be if a muffler could be put on the generator?
I have been in situation only twice in the 3 years I have been running around the U.S. ( been camping in 23 states so far in those 3 years! Got 20,000 miles doing it! Figure an other 3 years to find the rest!
Ron Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas