Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2019, 04:00 AM   #1

Generator not charging battery

All of the sudden my generator isn't charging my battery. It is running the electrical outlets and such just not charging the battery. Every night I check the battery if I'm low run the generator for an hour or so and everything's fine. Went to do the same tonight and running the generator actually dropped the battery. I'm sitting here at 2am running the rv so I dont have to jump it in the morning. Any ideas? Yall have been great answering my stupid newly questions so far. It's a 2019 fr 3
Lyndall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndall View Post
It's a 2019 fr 3
Check the breaker in your panel for the converter. While the panel is powered, the breaker may be off. If that is not the case, check the converter itself and see if it is powered. If powered there should be 13.2 or more volts on the output, if that is not the case, turn it off and check the fuses (at least 2 depending on the converter model.)

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:07 AM   #3

If you have a 50amp service be sure and check for 2 breakers on the gen.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:10 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Lyndall,

Nicholas Hoover in our Customer service department would be happy to assist you with this question regarding your FR3's battery. Please contact him through the following personalized and direct link: Forest River RV Direct Service Contact - Forest River, Inc..

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #5

As Cavie said check the breakers on the genny itself. It is possible one of the breakers could be tripped and you would still have AC power to some items on your unit. There are two AC busses (one buss by a genny breaker and the other buss fed by the other genny breaker) and one of them (the one that powers the converter) may be down. Just a thought. Of course, if both of your air conditioners run then there is no genny circuit breaker issue.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:32 PM   #6

Following this . . .
Old 03-15-2019, 06:39 PM   #7

Ok guys please give me directions like a 5 year old. I checked breakers on generator. Both are ok. I have no idea where or what a converter is and how to check buses.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:28 PM   #8

A converter takes in 120VAC and produces approximately 12VDC for the RV's use. Most converters are multi-stage which means that they measure the battery voltage and use that to determine what output voltage is best to bring the batteries up to full charge. Common voltages are 14.8 for bulk charging, 13.6-13.8 for absorbtion charging, and 13.2 for float charging. Do a web search on "flooded cell battery charging" to learn more about this.

If the converter is in float mode and you place a load on the battery, (ie furnace blower motor), the battery voltage will drop and the converter will switch modes which also provides power for the DC devices in the rig. Slides require a lot of power to run the motor and FR recommends that you always have the converter adding power to what's in the batteries when opening or closing the slides.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:17 AM   #9

I know you think your explaining but I really dont understand. All appliances work with gen running but it is not charging the battery. I need to know why and a fix. Like I said simple. Like there is a switch here it should be on. Or if blankly blank is flashing do this.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:47 AM   #10

Quote:
I know you think your explaining but I really dont understand. All appliances work with gen running but it is not charging the battery. I need to know why and a fix. Like I said simple. Like there is a switch here it should be on. Or if blankly blank is flashing do this.
This is relatively hard to diagnose from a distance. Not sure which FR-3 layout you have and Forest River seldom puts images of the "non-fancy" stuff on their site. However, if this is what your rear storage bay looks like, the converter is the metal box on the far right of this image, accessible from the basement door on the rear driver's side where your power cord is. The plug on the left of this image is where you plug in your power cord when using the generator.

The question is "is there AC power going to that metal box?" It should be a Progressive Dynamics unit. Hopefully it is not hard wired but plugged in...can't remember which it is on my 335, which has a very similar layout. If it is plugged in, unplug it and plug in something that uses ac power to see if the outlet has voltage. If it doesn't, go to the breaker panel (SB near the floor in the rear bedroom...press on the bottom of the large rectangular door and it will pop open) and check the breaker labelled "converter" and wiggle it. If it is loose, turn it off and then turn it on to see if that will reset the breaker. You can do this first if your want.

If there is power to the converter, there are two or three visible fuses (yellow 25 amp I believe) replace them if they are bad. If you can't check them...replace them anyway.

Now, if the breaker is popped or the fuses are bad, something else is wrong and since you have a new coach, take it to a dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FR3_30DS_ext_pass_thru_storage_WDP.jpg
Views:	1141
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	198865  

2015 335DS
Old 03-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #11

Quote:
I know you said you can start your generator but just a whim, you don't by chance have your batteries disconnected, (via the battery disconnect switch) do you?
Old 03-16-2019, 07:43 AM   #12

Make sure the cord coming from the silver box mounted to the wall in rear storage with your main power outlet is plugged in to the 110 outlet . It has a small fan inside it that you can here running if its working . That’s your battery charger .
Frameman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:53 AM   #13

Also check your shut off switch inside entrance door has not been pushed to the off position . I did that once.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frameman View Post
Make sure the cord coming from the silver box mounted to the wall in rear storage with your main power outlet is plugged in to the 110 outlet . It has a small fan inside it that you can here running if its working . That’s your battery charger .
This is a good post. Also, how did you determine your batteries are not being charged and/or getting weaker.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frameman View Post
Also check your shut off switch inside entrance door has not been pushed to the off position . I did that once.
See post #11.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:57 AM   #16

All good input, however, the fan on my PD9270 never runs, bo0st, float or whatever.

Battery disconnect might be a problem, but it would be kinda dark in his coach at night. In addition, he says he can charge by running the engine. Not sure but I don't think the BCC would route voltage to the house bank with the batteries turned off.

2015 335DS
Old 03-16-2019, 08:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
All good input, however, the fan on my PD9270 never runs, bo0st, float or whatever.

Battery disconnect might be a problem, but it would be kinda dark in his coach at night. In addition, he says he can charge by running the engine. Not sure but I don't think the BCC would route voltage to the house bank with the batteries turned off.
What post says anything about running the engine?
Old 03-16-2019, 08:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
What post says anything about running the engine?
"I'm sitting here at 2am running the rv so I don't have to jump it in the morning." The OP

2015 335DS
Old 03-16-2019, 08:12 AM   #19

I was plugged in to 50 amp land power . When I checked my black water level. I always check all levels it showed my batteries were dead !
Old 03-16-2019, 08:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
"I'm sitting here at 2am running the rv so I don't have to jump it in the morning." The OP
Sorry, read right over that. One thing I don't know is why the OP would be concerned with his chassis battery. Me thinks there is some confusion here. Also I believe the coach batteries cannot be disconnected with the engine running.

Tags
battery, charging, generator