Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2020, 08:59 PM   #1

Generator not powering A/C

Has anyone had an issue with the air conditioner not working when powered by the Oman 5500 generator while driving down the road. I’ve checked circuit breakers and fuses. The air conditioner works fine on shore power. Any ideas?
novak6931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by novak6931 View Post
Has anyone had an issue with the air conditioner not working when powered by the Oman 5500 generator while driving down the road. I’ve checked circuit breakers and fuses. The air conditioner works fine on shore power. Any ideas?

Silly question. You have the 50amp plugged in after shore power to the outlet on wall?
Old 08-20-2020, 10:03 PM   #3

We need more info to help. Do you have a plug as mentioned or is there a transfer switch involved? Do other systems have power? Year and model of rig is very helpful.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:15 PM   #4

Generator not powering a/c

I have a 2020 FR3 DS34 with two Dometic roof air conditioners. When plugged into 30 AMP power, the air conditioner in the main room works perfectly. When traveling down the road with the Onan5500 generator running, the air conditioner does not come on. I checked the 30AMP breakers on the generator, andI checked the fuses for the air conditioners. All are good. I’m puzzled as to why the air conditioner does not work using the generator.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:21 PM   #5

Do you have any other A/C like microwave lights, TV and outlets when running on generator?
Old 08-20-2020, 10:34 PM   #6

No, I Don’t think so. I have not noticed any other appliances like the microwave or TV having any lights on. My main room a/c lights up but does not turn on. After shutting down the main room a/c, I checked the bedroom a/c as well. It lights up but does not run. I’ll have to check and see if my microwave works off the generator.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:57 PM   #7

I just fired up my unit and fired up the generator. Seems that the generator runs great but it is not powering up anything. The breakers have been checked again and that’s not the problem.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:06 PM   #8

I'd recommend getting an AC tester from Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace hardware, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Tester.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	237131

Test all of your outlets on shore power.

Name:	Shore_Power.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	237132

Then, re-test while on Genset power. I found a flipped wire (Hot-Neutral Reversed) on Genset power and had the Genset feed rewired by the dealer.

Name:	Genset Power.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	237133

Everything ran on shore and Genset power, but I checked power outlets while installing retractable power cords. The type of problem you're reporting could be a lost or bad connection coming off of the genset feed wiring.

Name:	IMAG4873.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	237135

Good Luck!
San Pedro, CA
Honest Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:13 PM   #9

Thanks for the info. I will check all the outlets and see if I can pinpoint the problem.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:17 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlepaul1975 View Post
Silly question. You have the 50amp plugged in after shore power to the outlet on wall?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalich View Post
We need more info to help. Do you have a plug as mentioned or is there a transfer switch involved? Do other systems have power? Year and model of rig is very helpful.

As others have previously asked you, do you have an ATS (automatic transfer switch) or do you have to actually plug the shore power cord into the generator?

An ATS will sense that the generator is running and automatically switch power to the RV from it.

If you do not have an ATS, you have to actually plug the shore power cord into the generator for it to power the RV.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:14 AM   #11

you need to do some very basic troubleshooting. the number one thing to do is to turn on the generator and determine if it is providing ANY 120 volt power. the easiest way is to see if the microwave clock / lights come on. or plug a lamp / radio / voltage tester into a 120 volt convenience outlet. if all these tests do not show the presence of 120 volt power then you have to back up to the transfer switch or the generator itself.

you have been asked if you have an automatic transfer switch. do you? if not the only way you are going to get generator power is to plug your shore power cord into a receptacle that is the output for the generator power. it effect you plug into the generator just the same as you plug into a shore power pedestal. if you have an automatic transfer switch it handles this task for you.

it is possible that the generator is not producing power. is it flashing any error codes? it is possible that it is sensing an internal error and is not producing power. but it would flash an error code that states the error condition.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:21 AM   #12

You said you checked the circuit breakers does that include the breakers on the generator itself?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:09 AM   #13

Well it turns out the transfer switch on the back of the generator is wired incorrectly. A quick trip to the dealership should correct the problem under warranty. Thanks for all the help and input from everyone.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:52 PM   #14

We had the same dilemma and solved it as one responder indicate. You have an "external" cord to connect to 50A service. Since you're using the generator, that cord/plug need to go into the 50A input in the compartment which handles electricity. Then your generator's output will be going into the onboard system. It should solve the problem immediately.
49Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:37 PM   #15

To RV2021: I called the Forrest River Rep in Elkhart Indiana. He advised me to take it to the dealership to get it wired correctly.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:51 PM   #16

Quote:
To RV2021: I called the Forrest River Rep in Elkhart Indiana. He advised me to take it to the dealership to get it wired correctly.

Before doing that, have you done what several others have mentioned: physically plugging the external power cord into the generator outlet in the same bay that your power cord is? You haven't mentioned anything about doing that. I have an FR3 29DS and there is no transfer switch. One must physically plug the cord into the 50 amp generator outlet located almost right next to the cord.

2018 FR3 29DS
TOAD - 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
zipmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 04:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Lots of good advice but being a 2020 I'd assume it's under warranty if not calling FR one way or the other is a smart thing to do. You might have a bigger issues like miswiring, lose wires, poor ground etc.. Things like this especially under warranty, though its not a joy, go to the dealer. While you're at it, and like I said if under warranty let them fix any other issues or concerns.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:37 PM   #18

ac issue

I had the same issue when I bought my 2019 FR3. I talked to my dealer and as he said to take my electrical cord for shore power and plug it into the receptacle in the compartment. By doing this it makes a complete circuit and then you can drive with the generator on and use you ac while driving. I wish the sales rep would have told me this when we did our walk thru. Hope this is helps.
gerrygambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:23 PM   #19

I’ll crawl under there and put eyes on it and see if it makes any sense. If it’s as simple as plugging into the generator, I’ll give it a go. If not, I have an appointment. I’ll let the dealership figure it out.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:03 AM   #20

Quote:
I’ll crawl under there and put eyes on it and see if it makes any sense. If it’s as simple as plugging into the generator, I’ll give it a go. If not, I have an appointment. I’ll let the dealership figure it out.
Don't know if you have an automatic transfer switch (ATS) or not but what the posts I think are trying to convey to you is that if you don't have an ATS there should be a receptacle like this within your coach where your coach shore power cable plugs into. It will not be on the generator but most likely in your power cable bay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	erws.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	237297  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote