Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2016, 12:48 PM   #1

Generator performance

I am trying to figure out what works and what doesn't when using the generator. I have the 4.0 Onan in a 2016 FR3. On the way south last night got 20 degree temperatures. We had packed a small heater and electric blanket, both of which work with no problem when using shore power. They even worked when on a 20 amp adaptor. I tried using one at time with no other house draw and had same results. When turned on [ heater or blanket] would initialize then shut down. Is this because of a peak load before the gen has time to ramp up the output ? Any thoughts or experiences?
Grumpy Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #2
edm

Generator

We have 2016 30ds and have no problems with generator handling the loads in the rv. One thing i did is install a 30 amp transfer switch in our coach so the generator has time to come up to speed before the load is applied. if you aren't using a transfer switch i would leave all heavy loads off until generator has run for about 15 sec. hope this helps.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #3

It happened after about minutes of operation
Old 01-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #4

It happens after 5 minutes of operation
Old 01-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
edm

generator

Generator should be a peak rpm after a few seconds of operation. Is it tripping any circuit bakers ? The Generator should handle 30 amp load. Will it run your AC?
Old 01-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #6

There is something up for sure with the Gen/wiring. One thing to note is that ALL the outlets are on a single 15 amp breaker. So if you have a 1500 watt heater, there is practically no more room for anything else. When temps are above freezing, I'll run one 1500 watt heater using the microwave circuit, then another one using the passenger side outlet. Helps lower our propane usage when hooked up.

I believe the Onan Gen has a 3 year warranty, but I think your issues is with how FR installed it. Ditto edm's question, is it tripping any circuit breakers? What do you mean by "shut down"? If no breaker is tripped, is your microwave still on? That usually tells me if the generator is putting out 120V or not.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #7
edm

One other thing. When we first got our FR3 we were on a trip in 105 degree weather and running our generator for the ac. The generator kept running but had no output voltage. It took a while to find the problem and it turned out to be a loose neutral wire. The location of the problem was the wire junction next to the generator the wire nut was fried. Replaced the wire nut and all is well.
This junction box is in the cabinet in front of the generator cabinet. if you are going to check it there don't have the generator running while you are working in there.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edm View Post
if you are going to check it there don't have the generator running while you are working in there.

Oh come on, its just 110v.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #9

The breaker doesn't trip. The heater which is 1500 watt will turn on light up hi on the panel and then go out. The blanket goes on lights up mode level and then goes to periods and dots. It is a shut down on " wake up " of the unit. Both are working properly today on shore power.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #10
edm

If you have a way to monitor the output voltage of the generator I would do so. It should be about 120 volts at any outlet in the coach. Monitor it without load and then with load the results should be the same
Old 01-23-2016, 01:50 AM   #11
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Kansas... Are you sure you only have a single 15amp breaker for ALL your outlets? My '14 30DS has 2 15amp breakers. One powers the drivers side of the coach and the other powers the passenger side. I found this out when I installed the inverter.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:15 AM   #12

@drivmsafe, yeah, I just double checked last night and all the outlets run on a split 15 amp breaker that shares the other side (15 amps) with the electric water heater. Maybe they didn't want to spend the money for another breaker to install the electric water heater. lol. I might see if there is a junction box somewhere that ties the two sides together so I could possibly split them to LH/RH like you it.

Tags
generator