Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #1

GT5 should I?

We signed intent to purchase 2019 GT5 34H, I am somewhat hesitant to go through purchase based on my current FR3 motorhome. we have now had for it 1 turbulent year with multiple issues, leaking roof, went back to factory for 4 months to be replaced. Other issues not quite as bad but still enough to keep in shop for 4 additional months. It has 4400 miles of which we have only put 1000 for trips that we were able to do between shop visits. we are taking a hit on trade in, losing a lot, so question to everyone should we go for it? several I have talked to advised to stay away from FR products, but as we all know there can be problems with any brand. a lot of money just want this to be the right decision, can't afford another mistake.
wnewman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:34 AM   #2

GT5

Hello, we checked out a lot of rv's before we bought out 31R GT5. The Hurricane is nice, but the GT5's trim and what you get for your money is better. You don't say what FR3 you have, but the 34H is riding on the 22K chassis and 22" wheels. That will be a better ride. That's too bad you lose the trade in value, but if you can afford it, that would a good trade up. Oh, and if you can afford it, get the full body paint.
Hope this helps,
Joe
JoePK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #3
edm

We purchased a 2016 FR3 30DS in June of 2015 and we had many repair issues in the first year or so. Once we got through all of the problems we have enjoyed it very much. It is not a luxury coach but it dose the job for us. Forest River has been very good about taking care of the problems.

We now have 35000 miles on the coach and everything is working well. We have taken 3 trips from Oregon to Boston with it now. The last trip was last year and we had not one problem with anything.

If it were me I would drive out the loss as much as possible and see if forest river will extend the warranty for another year.

This is just my opinion and you need to do what you feel is best for you.

Good luck and happy travels.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:12 PM   #4

Joe/edm

We have a 17 32DS, I have put $$ in upgrades, sumo spring and roadmaster steering stabilizer, so would lose those $$ also. it seems to be ok at this time other than the front shade recall which is getting replaced when part arrives. also while at factory for roof, they damaged the railing that holds the awnings on both slides. FR rep authorized those repairs also, just waiting when we can get in shop. my initial thought was to use for a few years and trade in that is still an option. Just have make a decision.

Thanks for the advice.
wnewman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edm View Post

The last trip was last year and we had not one problem with anything.

Every time I think or say that, I have to make repairs or hand over a thousand bucks to pay for the repairs.

Seriously, I cringe inside when we pull out of the driveway expecting something else to crap out on me.

I love my 2016 FR3 30ds, but wish I had kept my older class c and upgraded more things in it.

Get what makes you happy, and good luck!
Old 02-09-2019, 08:15 PM   #6

GT5 shouldI?

wnewman53,
We have a 2016 30DS that we bought new in 2017 and now have over 10K miles in it. We've made several improvements from seating to suspension system changes to include Theater Seating, Sumo Springs, Bilstein Shocks, new sway bars, as well as other changes to make it "our home away from home". We haven't had all the problems posted on this Forum, but we have had a few. Now that we have them taken care of, our FR3 is right for us.

While we at last year's Goshen Rally we had an opportunity to tour the manufacturing plant in Elkhart. I didn't realize that the FR3 and the Georgetown come off the same assembly line. They are literally intermingled on the Line.

If you do some research on the FR Georgetown Forum you'll find discussions very similar to those on this FR3 Forum. Problems are inherent in all models coming off the same assembly line. You could very well find yourself with similar problems, but for a much higher price tag! Give the FR3 a chance and I think you will find it to your liking!

Good Luck with what ever decision you make. Besides, It's Just Money!!

2019 Georgetown GT5 31R5 w/2016 Chevy Colorado Toad
Days Camped: 2017 - 45, 2018 - 52, 2019 - 70, 2020 - 32, 2021 - 16
Papaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:20 PM   #7

If you are looking at trading and capable, remove your upgrades and apply them to the GT5 if needed and will fit or sell them on Craigslist or what ever is local for you. You will get nothing for them on the trade.
CC Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #8
World Wide Wanderer

I have yet to see an RV arrive from the factory in perfect ready to go condition.

The dealer plays a leading role in how well things are taken care of, choose a good dealer that you feel comfortable with.

In addition do a THOROUGH walk through and test drive of the unit prior to signing on the dotted line, if they unit has too many issues don't be afraid to walk away and find another one. By thorough I mean; pull, poke, prod. Open and close every drawer, door, and hatch you can find several times. Make sure all electric switches work, valves, etc. Try out all electronics, bring your own DVD/CD's etc. Seriously, expect to take several hours to make sure. Make a list and give it to the dealer, then check behind them when they say it is done. It is your money and you can choose how to spend it.

When we looked at the Concord we bought they had two on the lot, the other had some serious fit and finish issues, the one we purchased was assembled much better. Our punch list was fairly short, and they got it done is a couple of days. The only thing we missed was the outside A/B switch for the television didn't work properly. They sent me a replacement, turns out the one put in at the factory was jammed into a too small opening and was cracked.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote