Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2019, 08:13 AM   #1

Has anyone replaced the driver's seat?

2016 30DS.

Does anyone else think that the driver's seat stinks? its not comfortable at all, the way the seat is shaped it forces your head and neck forward and the lumber area dips backward, putting your back into a C shape.

I've had terrible neck aches after only 1 or 2 hours driving and ready to get rid of it and upgrade. I've tried using various lumbar pads but they shift around and i'm constantly adjusting it. Our old Coachmen Class C had the most amazing driver's seat, i could drive for hours and feel great.

There is no shortage of online seats, but how do you know which ones to buy? I called my dealer and he suggested coming in to sit in other coaches, but the ones we liked didn't match the bolt pattern on our pedestal. Of course they would change out everything for us to match the new seat, but not ready to drop down another 2k.

thoughts?
Urban_FR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:08 AM   #2

YES I 00% agree with everything you say. My seat feels tilted, i lean to the right when I should be sitting straight! I will follow this thread.... Im looking to fix or buy new seats (someday)

2019 FR3 33DS Motorhome
650 Watts Solar, 400Ah Lithium Batteries, 2000 Watt Inverter, 40A DC/DC Charger, Sumo Springs, Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, Blue Ox Trac Bar, Truma On Demand Water Heater, NVIDIA Shield TV,
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:06 AM   #3

I replaced both front seats, driver and passenger. I think it is the hardest project I have done on my FR3. If you donít find a seat with the same floor plate (and same fore-aft spacing you can easily mess up the restraint geometry. There is a steel subframe under the floor that the seats tie into, and whatever changes need to either use the existing bracing or have additional steel bracing. The seatbelt restraint geometry is important too. I used a big steel anchor plate and tension straps to support the seatbelt strap tie points on the seat (my OEM seatbelt tie points were bent...yikes...) Iím sure there are cheaper ways to fix the seat issues (I feel the same as the O.P) Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0977.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	216272Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0976.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	216273
2015 fr3 30DS, added 2nd A/C-Heat Pump, both A/C have EasyStart, Auto Transfer Switch, CHF with Hellwig Links, Progressive Power Management, TPMS, Blue Ox True-Center, Koni Shocks, HID Headlamps, LED Foglamps, Pioneer Stereo, Keyless entry, Auxiliary Cooling Fans for A/C Condenser, dashcam front-rear, Yokohama Tires, air ride seats, onboard air compressor, 1200 watt inverter, centramatic wheel balancers
Hogq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:17 PM   #4

What brand seats did you buy? Mine are not power.
Urban_FR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:26 PM   #5

I bought Legacy Gold Air Ride seats Manufactured by Seats Inc, I purchased through Raneyís. I also installed a Viair Onboard Compressor to provide air (I didnít buy the seats with the onboard compressor). These have heat and massage with lower and upper back adjustments. Being air ride, they take a lot of the sharpness out of the ride.
2015 fr3 30DS, added 2nd A/C-Heat Pump, both A/C have EasyStart, Auto Transfer Switch, CHF with Hellwig Links, Progressive Power Management, TPMS, Blue Ox True-Center, Koni Shocks, HID Headlamps, LED Foglamps, Pioneer Stereo, Keyless entry, Auxiliary Cooling Fans for A/C Condenser, dashcam front-rear, Yokohama Tires, air ride seats, onboard air compressor, 1200 watt inverter, centramatic wheel balancers
Hogq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44 View Post
YES I 00% agree with everything you say. My seat feels tilted, i lean to the right when I should be sitting straight! I will follow this thread.... Im looking to fix or buy new seats (someday)

Yes! I feel like Iím always off to one side. I would love to change my drivers seat out.
stlcardbesties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:02 AM   #7
FR3 Grampy

Same problems

I too had some serious issues with these seats. The seats were to high and they tilted forward, it felt like i was always sling off the seat. Took them to an upholstery dealer who sliced off some foam from the seats. this helped but did not fix all the problems so I ended up adding a power base. I still haven't found a way of correcting the feeling of sliding / tilting to the right yet but i'm sure i'll find some way of adjusting it without having to buy another seat??? I keep wondering why i feel i'm tilting to the right. It's very annoying.
Scottmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:56 AM   #8
MaddyCatBus

Seat fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44 View Post
We had the same problem and put some spacers in the pedestal then put the bolts back on and re-tightened. The problem went away and no new seat required!

JTS
Enerloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:02 AM   #9

We just replaced both seats and the couch due to comfort and pleather delamination issues. We went to shop4seats.com and had them installed by our RV mechanic. We are very happy with the comfort and quality now and it took the mechanic only a couple of hours for everything.

Never have more dogs than you have windows.

rottnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #10

shop4seats

A lot to choose from. What seats did you decide on and why? Did you get the same seat for both?
Thanks
Old 10-04-2019, 08:53 PM   #11

We got the Monument Fawn Ultimate Leather II RV Captain Chairs and the Cambria RV Sofa Bed Ultimate Leather II the color we chose was Fawn as the closest to existing pleather. I would suggest getting samples first so you can look at the quality/color.

Never have more dogs than you have windows.

rottnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:50 AM   #12

Thank you.
reverand2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:54 AM   #13

I am in the process of reupholstering the front seats mind fit pretty good l am looking to make them more comfortable to sit in
Maybe change the foam or put in a different type
Anybody do anything like that
frankie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:46 PM   #14

We are looking at replacing our seats on our 2014 FR3 30DS and saw where you replaced yours with the monument seats from shop4seats.com. Can you tell us how you like them and what comfort level are they? Are they noticeably more comfortable than the original seats? Did the old chairs just unbolt from the base and the new ones put on? Did you need the extra $9 handle for the swivel portion of the base? Sorry for all the questions but hate to spend $$ before having some added information!!
limaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #15

I cut the height down by 2 “ seemed to make a big difference
Iankerr is offline   Reply With Quote