Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #1

Hope to own an FR3 soon!

We currently own a 35 ft travel tailer that is less than 2 years old. Husband is getting tired of the set-up - says he is getting too old- so we are starting to think about upgrading to a motorhome. We have searched high and low and for us the FR3 30 DS seems like the best solution. I like the fact that you have 8 seat belts! So many of the rv's we looked at- even the larger ones- would only seatbelt 4-6 people. I am a little concerned that there is only one air conditioner. Please give me any insight you have - any suggestions welcome! We will probably not purchase until Dec or Jan so I am trying to research as much as possible!Thanks!
cruzincraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #2

We looked at a lot of coaches and did a lot of research before deciding on the FR# 30DS. For the price, this was the best choice for us. There are some problems, but that will happen with any coach. It's an unnatural act, a rolling house. We love our FR3.

Mandoholic and Bassbabe

2014 FR3 30DS

Salem, Oregon
Mandoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #3

You asked about ac I too an a little concerned with ac have not had ours long, just went out once when it was kind of hot. first day did not precool unit over nite, ant it was a little on the warm side but not too bad--- second day kept it cool nite before and it was nice and cool all day as long as we didn't open door too much going in and out. It has the 1300 unit, and we may end up replacing it with the 1500 if it gets too warn in it. Think the larger unit would keep it cool with no problem, it has plenty of insulation to help keep it cool.
Lfrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #4

Yup, we have the 13,500 BTU. Has a hard tine keeping up during the hot days. Don't buy unless they upgrade yours to the 15,000 BTU would be my advise....cuz with hind sight, that's what I'd do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #5

Still undecided

I think the 2015 30DS now comes standard with a 15000 BTU ac unit and a king bed! The one a/c unit in the FR3 is what is keeping us from making a final decision. We are also looking at the Windsport and Hurricane 34F. They each has 2 ac units and a larger generator. Also a king bed and the couch and dinette are larger and will accommodate adult sleepers. Also has the bunk over the cab and has seat belts for 8 or 9. Decisions, decisions! It will ultimately come down to budget and what we can afford.

Thanks y'all for the input!
Old 07-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #6

April - May in Phoenix

We have the 15,000 unit. It handled 102 degrees in Phoenix.
JerseyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #7

JerseyGuy - that is good to know - what exactly would the temp inside the camper be when it is 102 outside?
Old 07-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #8

As I remember, it got to the upper 70s. We had foil screens in the front and the side windows. The coach was facing southeast.

We were there for three weeks. The AC was on high with it blowing directly into the front of the coach. We had our dogs with us and used a Philips InSight monitor so that we could watch the temperature via our iPhones when we were doing retail therapy in the local tourist shops.

2014 FR3 30DS In New Jersey
JerseyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandoholic View Post
We looked at a lot of coaches and did a lot of research before deciding on the FR# 30DS. For the price, this was the best choice for us. There are some problems, but that will happen with any coach. It's an unnatural act, a rolling house. We love our FR3.
Just my .02¢ on seat belts in a MH.

Seatbelts will just keep you from being tossed around as you roll over the speed bump of a car that got in your way

Not making light...just having a little fun

In fact, if you want, you can always have additional seat belts installed if you like!

(I had a paranoid friend who bought a Georgie Boy back in the '90s and had some sort of cargo net contraption installed over the bed for his partner so they could go back and nap when they were on the road! )
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Online_17 View Post
Yup, we have the 13,500 BTU. Has a hard tine keeping up during the hot days. Don't buy unless they upgrade yours to the 15,000 BTU would be my advise....cuz with hind sight, that's what I'd do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
We have a 33' 5th wheel and have a 15K in the Living room and a 13K in the bedroom. No WAY would we go to the Southwest without that setup!
(We lived in NM for 10+ years and know whereof we speak )
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote