Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2022, 07:54 PM   #1

Horrible noise from slideout

The bedroom slideout in our 30DS just started making an alarming noise when it's moving in or out. Every few inches of movement there's a loud clunk and the slideout shudders or shakes, but it keeps moving. I have rested my hand on each cable while this is happening, and I don't feel any unusual movement of the cable.

Is there a bad gear somewhere?
Thanks for your help.
vacationlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:17 AM   #2

I would look under the slide box floor for something hasn't gotten caught under there to start with. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationlovers View Post
The bedroom slideout in our 30DS just started making an alarming noise when it's moving in or out. Every few inches of movement there's a loud clunk and the slideout shudders or shakes, but it keeps moving. I have rested my hand on each cable while this is happening, and I don't feel any unusual movement of the cable.

Is there a bad gear somewhere?
Thanks for your help.
Sounds like loose cables. The IN cables hitting the OUT cables at midpoint.
I had this happen to my living room slide.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:02 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions.

SeaDog, I looked under the slideout floor, both inside & outside the coach, and didn't see anything.

RK, I checked the tightness of the cables with the slideout extended, and they're all the same. I can move them vertically about 1/2". Does that sound right?
Old 09-26-2022, 06:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationlovers View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

SeaDog, I looked under the slideout floor, both inside & outside the coach, and didn't see anything.

RK, I checked the tightness of the cables with the slideout extended, and they're all the same. I can move them vertically about 1/2". Does that sound right?
They should be tighter than that.

See my thread:
Stuck in my Driveway with a dead living room slide motor
I had a loose wire. But I did learn how to adjust the cables. see videos below:

Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
They should be tighter than that.
I checked the cables on the living room slide, which is working fine, and I can move those cables even more than the bedroom ones, so it doesn't seem like cable looseness is causing the problem.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:33 AM   #7

Our bedroom slide did that. Hydralic however.

Turned out the manufacturer used cheap 2"x2" and a few staples to construct the bed. Was rapidly falling apart.

Four hours with some reinforcing plates and "real screws" and the issue went away.

Some misallignment issue.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:06 PM   #8

Could be the gear box is going bad. Both of mine made clunking sounds and I replaced them both.

2017 Forest River FR3 32DS
Retired Navy
Retired IT Professional
Blallen58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Turned out the manufacturer used cheap 2"x2" and a few staples to construct the bed. Was rapidly falling apart.
That doesn't appear to be the issue here. I haven't found anything loose, falling apart, or out-of-alignment.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blallen58 View Post
Could be the gear box is going bad. Both of mine made clunking sounds and I replaced them both.

Did you do the work yourself? Was it difficult? Where did you buy the parts?
Old 10-04-2022, 11:36 AM   #11

We finally left our campsite and moved to a new one. I recorded a video of the slide-out being extended so you can to hear the clunking sound it makes.
https://youtu.be/BT9LXdbnefA
When the noise first started I would describe it as a 'clunk' but it has now become a 'double clunk'.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:36 PM   #12

Having just replaced the gearbox for the living room slide in my 2018 FR3 29DS, I'm inclined to think you have a gearbox that's about to fail completely. Mine failed with the slide completely in and wouldn't go out. I watched a multitude of YouTube videos on replacing the gearbox on the BAL Accuslide, ordered the gearbox assembly from Amazon, and did the repair/replacement yesterday. My experience was made harder by the fact that try as I may, I couldn't push the slide out to enable easier access to the motor and gearbox. So I had to replace it with the slide in. Much harder, but doable. Once I got that done, I was able to take out most of the slack of the cables, then extend the slide and properly adjust the cable tension. If your slide can be extended, the replacement is fairly straight forward and can be done in about an hour and a half. The Norco Industries factory video is the best for showing how to do it.

2018 FR3 29DS
TOAD - 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
zipmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 07:50 AM   #13

Here are a couple of pics comparing the old gearbox with the new gearbox, showing the improved housing. Notice how the shaft in the old gearbox had worn the housing and the shaft and gear were noticeably slanted which was causing the interior gears to slip. After having watched many videos on the replacement and proper tensioning of the cables, I'm convinced my cables were never properly tensioned coming from the factory, as the OUT cables were lying slack on the fascia floor with the slide in, vice slightly slack as described in the videos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8825.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	280086   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8826.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	280087  

2018 FR3 29DS
TOAD - 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
zipmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:54 AM   #14

Zipmart, thank you for all the information. I'm sure you're right about the gearbox being the problem. When we just tried to bring the slideout in, it wouldn't move at all until I went outside and pushed it inwards.

I was going to ask you for the part number of the gearbox you bought, but I see that it's on the photos you provided.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:12 AM   #15

As an FYI, the first two digits are the year of manufacture. You had a 17 and now a 21.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 11:23 AM   #16

I am a little late to the party, but is it possible it is just the slide seals? I replaced our original seals with SteeleRubber ones and ever since then, thhe slide makes a few "clunks" (it is a bit alarming to hear) as the seals "roll over".

Old 10-05-2022, 07:36 PM   #17

Semperfi,

Thanks for your thoughts, but I'm pretty sure it's not the seals. They're factory original rubber seals, and not stiff enough to make any noise. I have stood outside and watched the slideout while it's being extended, and there's no unusual movement of the seals, cables, or walls. Plus, as I mentioned in my previous post, the slideout has now reached the point where it sometimes won't move at all unless I give it a push.

I'm just glad it's the bedroom slideout and not the living room. I wouldn't be able to push that one very well!

We are currently camped at Diamond Lake (near Crater Lake) in Oregon. Over the next two weeks we'll be working our way towards home in SoCal. I hope we can finish our trip before the slideout quits working completely.
Old 10-10-2022, 07:41 PM   #18

Get Ready for Full Failure

I own a Forest River FR3 28DS with bedroom and living room slides. My RV has only 7,000 miles on it. Both slides have failed 3 times now. The failures always start out with noise then full failure to work. They have been worked on 2 times now by the dealer, and I am in the middle of the 3rd failure. I have an appointment for the end of November to fix the current problem. Complete failure to work

They have failed in the worst of camping enviornments, leaving us stuck in parks and dry camp sites. This is probably the cheapest and least innefficient way to move slides in and out of an RV. The cable system is an absolute horrible bust. Forest River needs to recall all these RV's that have had slide failures. Words cannot express my anger with this RV and the slide problems we have had. This RV is a total Lemon.
tometrious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 05:32 AM   #19

...just another thought. Does your slider have topper covers?

My 5-year old Rockwood has the covers and at the start of this season, the spring mechanism that allows and helps the canvas(?) to move in out developed a problem. It caused the entire slide to jump as the slide was moving in or out. Something in the spring seems to be catching making the slider jump with every few inches of movement.

If you do not have the topper covers, delete this note and concentrate on the other great suggestions.

Not wanting to interrupt my camping season, I removed the canvas on just this slider. I will address it in the fall at a repair facility.
Old 10-11-2022, 07:57 AM   #20

Are you certain that the rollers the floor of the slide ‘glide’ on are still all in place and in their cradles? Mine loosen periodically and need to be tightened down.

2019 FR3 32DS
FarFromLiberal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, slide, slide-out, slideout