Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2016, 09:09 PM   #1

How much power do you need?

I looked at a 2011 Class A Tiffin today 32' Diesel. Salesman stated it has 240hp/560lbs of torque. That seems very light. My friend has a Ford pickup F350 with a 6.7L 440hp & over 900lbs of torque at 1800rpm. His truck weighs about 10,000 lbs. I know this RV must weigh at least 36000lbs. Am I wrong or is this going to be a old dog going up hill.
ffpmdefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:23 AM   #2

You likely will get a better response by finding a Tiffin forum and posing the question. The answers here are more likely going to be engine specific vs ACTUAL PERFORMANCE ON A TIFFIN PLATFORM. ( towing and not). That's what you WANT to know.

I have a 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel in my truck. Will pull the house down. People with the smaller block older Cummins rave about excellent performance.

The engines were changed after new federal emissions requirements AND a successful 10 year run. The smaller block engines performed excellent.

Your concern is basically for your use will it get the job done?! Thus, OWNERS OF SAME is your source.
Just my opinion. That's where I would research.

Never met an UNHAPPY Tiffin owner. Only sad ones who had to sell and move on. Tiffin is KNOWN for standing behind their builds. They certainly sell FAST in the resale market.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:53 AM   #3

I've owned 3 Class A motorhomes. A Gulfstream, a Monaco Dynasty, and the last one a Tiffin Allegro Bus. The Gulfstream had a 5.9L Cummins 190hp in it and it was VERY underpowered. The Monaco had a 8.3L Cummins, 325hp and it was adequate, while the Bus was powered by a 8.3L Cummins, 400hp and was terrific at all times. We always towed a car and I can tell you, you will appreciate an engine with torque in the 800+ range as these beasts are heavy and have a hard time "getting out of their own way".
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power