Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2020, 06:26 PM   #1

Question How to detach Backup Camera lens?

I purchased an awning for the rear window of our FR3. When I started to install it, I discovered that the rolled-up awning would obstruct the lower half of the view from the Backup Camera (meaning that I wouldn't be able to see anything near the back of the RV).

At first I thought I just wouldn't be able to have an awning over the rear window, and unfortunately Dometic doesn't allow returns. But then I started thinking that perhaps I could mount the camera lens on some kind of "box" to make it protrude farther from the rear wall of the RV, so that it could see around the rolled-up awning.

Does anyone know how the camera lens is attached to the rear wall of the RV, so that I can detach it?
vacationlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:30 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

You mentioned you already started to install the awning.

Can’t you see for yourself if it’s screwed or riveted?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
You mentioned you already started to install the awning.
Actually, I had just lifted the new awning up above the window to determine the exact mounting position, when I realized the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Can’t you see for yourself if it’s screwed or riveted?
There aren't any screws or rivets visible. Perhaps it's just stuck on with adhesive, and I can pry it off. Or perhaps it's attached from the inside during construction, and there's not way to remove it without breaking it.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:34 PM   #4

I am a previous owner of a 2017 FR3 30DS. I believe the cameras are made by Furrion, so maybe search their website for installation instructions. Also you might look in the bedroom as we had a carbon monoxide detector on the back wall that might provide you access to the camera from the inside.
CC Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:17 PM   #5

IF it's a Furrion camera. The cover is held on with 4 VERY small black screws. If I recall correctly, under the the cover there are additional screws to hold the mount to the trailer.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:16 PM   #6
FR3 Division

The cameras FR3 is currently using are supplied by Rearview Systems, you might want to check with Forest River parts department to make sure they were the same in 2016MY. I am familiar with your request, the former 28DS had a slide out on the rear wall, also a slide awning mounted to the rear wall and we used a plastic bezel to mount the camera out further on rear wall to clear the camera. Direct message me and I will get you linked up with our parts department and see if they can get the bezel we mounted on the rear wall of the 28DS for the FR3 rear camera, this should push your camera out further past your awning and give you the angle you need to still use your back up camera. Michael Hums I tried to include a picture of one I found on the web
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 4.22.48 PM.png
Views:	105
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	225781  
Michael Hums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:21 PM   #7

I was just about to post an update with what I had learned, but Michael Hums just stole some of my thunder!

First, I want to thank the previous posters GT Traveler and SailorSam for their input. Unfortunately, it appears that the cameras are not made by Furrion after all (at least they don't match anything on the Furrion website), and there's no way to remove the cameras from the outside of the coach.

However, I had emailed Nicholas Hoover, whose address I found on the Forest River Contact Us page. I got a response from Celestino Lopez, and he explained "There is a panel on the inside of the motorhome that covers the wiring. You have to remove the panel, detach the wiring, and then there is a nut that holds the camera in place. Remove the nut, and then you can go outside to remove the camera from the wall".

I went over to the coach today, and took these photos of the situation:

So, then I knew how to remove the camera from the rear wall, and I thought I would have to think of something creative to mount the camera on, in order to make it protrude farther from the rear wall, so that it can see over the rolled-up awning.

And then, out of the blue, Michael Hums posted the perfect solution! Thanks, Michael!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1080974 (Medium).jpg
Views:	749
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	225784   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080975 (Medium).jpg
Views:	716
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	225785   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080976 (Medium).jpg
Views:	731
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	225786   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080978 (Medium).jpg
Views:	747
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	225787   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080979 (Medium).jpg
Views:	745
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	225788  

Old 04-01-2020, 11:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hums View Post
Direct message me and I will get you linked up with our parts department
Michael, I sent you a couple private messages last week (at least I think I succeeded in doing that) but I haven't seen a reply, so I figured I'd post a message here.

I am definitely interested in ordering that camera mount you mentioned.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:19 PM   #9
FR3 Division

I responded to you 2 different times, but they are like an email message. Please try to DM me or you can email me. My email address can be found on the forest river website:

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/conta...gionSelected=1
Michael Hums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:13 PM   #10

Post A final update

Michael Hums at Forest River was kind enough to let me know about a part that would provide a solution to the problem of my rear camera view being blocked by the rear window awning I installed. Unfortunately, that part was no longer available, because that FR3 model was discontinued. However, Cameron Bigler at Forest River contacted their original supplier, and they were willing to make another one for me. Then the COVID shutdown happened, and everything got delayed. But I finally received the part, and installed the rear camera on the new housing, and now the rear camera view is no longer blocked by the window awning. Thank you Forest River for going above & beyond!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rear Camera on Housing (1).jpg
Views:	70
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	242325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Camera on Housing (3).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	242326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camera Housing Drawing.png
Views:	68