Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2018, 05:50 PM   #1

Interior upholstery peeling

we have a 2016 FR3 30 with about 20k miles on it and all the upholster is starting to peel off. It's like a leather looking vinyl, is anyone else having this issue ? I am thinking of a lawsuit against Forest River its ridiculous this would happen in just a couple years of use
Nucman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:19 PM   #2

A search on the forum will show several discussion on related subjects.
Do be aware that mention of legal action is against forum rules and can result in the discussion being removed.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucman View Post
we have a 2016 FR3 30 with about 20k miles on it and all the upholster is starting to peel off. It's like a leather looking vinyl, is anyone else having this issue ? I am thinking of a lawsuit against Forest River its ridiculous this would happen in just a couple years of use
Yep. Same here. Especially driver seat. Gonna reupholster/replace/upgrade chairs not sure yet. All good, entry level coach with pretty heavy use, I knew this was gonna happen... (I knew it wasn't leather)

(2016 28DS 12K 150 nights)
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:04 AM   #4

Your more understanding than I , I find it ridiculous that a 80 K RV seats and upholstery is peeling after 2 years and less than 20 k miles. Todays cars sure would not do that, I am shocked no legal action has been taken against FR for inferior materials.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #5

Interior upholstery peeling

My 2014 FR3 is doing the same thing on the captains chairs, and the dinette is showing similar breakdown of the fabric. The dealer sold me an extended warranty that is "supposed to fix everything", but I'll have to qualify that statement with a visit. You have my attention on this problem! Have you checked with the dealer or FR regarding any warranty that covers defective materials?
San Pedro, CA
Honest Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:10 PM   #6

I have contacted Forest River and because i am the second owner and the RV is over 1 year old they will not do anything about it. I am livid about this !!! As expensive as these RVs are how can they get away with using materials like this, I have a 30 year old car who seats still look like new
Old 08-03-2018, 02:25 PM   #7

This is not unique to Forest River. I'm guessing that the furniture you're referring to is Lippert's "Thomas Payne Collection". I had it in my 2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS and it was absolute junk. The "pleather" was peeling off like skin from a sunburn.

I just replaced it all with RecPro Charles furniture. Too early to tell, but it appears that it will hold up better than that LCI junk.

2020 Riverstone 39FK
2016 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L PowerStroke Lariat
Jim1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #8

What is being experienced here is very simply RV bling used to sell RV's easily and profitably for all the manufacturers. We as the consumers get hosed regularly and we still buy this junk for the satisfaction of our needs/dreams. Until there is a mass revolt and they are no longer able to sell this junk, they will continue on as they are. Until then, upgrade your units and retrofit to your desire and comfort level. Then you will be able to enjoy your RV for what it is intended for...comfort and relaxation.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:22 PM   #9

So, For any of you that contacted Forest River what did they say? I had a problem with the couch mafuntioning and damaging the pleather. Instead of recovering it they want to replace it. So how did FR handle your issue?
HortMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #10

I'm having the same issue. My unit is 4 years old. Used it over the 4th and noticed one little peel on the seat and by the end of the trip there were multiple
Iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:24 AM   #11

Same here. Started discussions with FR over two years ago and both times when we got close to trying to an answer from them, the conversation went dead. This is a problem with all kinds of coaches. Not sure where to go but it sound like it is going to be expensive.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #12

Unbelievable! So what have you done since then? I just contacted Forest River.
Iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #13

2014 DS25 “early production” with 15,000 miles.

Captains chairs started peeling years ago, sitting in driveway with shades down.

Not used often enough to bother about it before, now using coach as an apartment for work that makes the quality of materials decisions made by forest river in the “Berkshire Hathaway era” more obvious.

Our was purchased new in 2014 on a 2012 f53 chassis. (How I know this? Long story)

Would hope for warren buffet to send a check to reupholster, but my faith in his response is not high.

So that leaves us with a problem, and what would be the best hope for a solution without the oracle of Omaha’s largess?
repsolgamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:45 PM   #14

FR3 Upholstery issues

Hi! We have a 2014 FR3, same problem with the upholstery that you all are having. Has anyone had any luck with Forest River working with you on getting the upholstery replaced or at least a discount on the material? I've spoken to Nicholas Hoover at Forest River, he seemed interested, had me send photos, tags, etc, then went silent. Just wondering if anyone has a success story? If not, any suggestions on a solution?

Thank you!
TiffTeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #15

They replaced mine on a 2015 335DS, well at least the pre-sown material for the captains chairs and the couch, but putting them on cost me around $2,000. Good luck. I worked on them for 3 years.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:33 PM   #16

Same here, I contacted Forest River and sent photos and tags, I also emailed the manufacture of the furniture and got no reply from them either. I will never buy another Forest River product or buy from Campers World again, since I know they knew of this problem before I bought the RV. I finally just had the whole interior reupholstered to the tune of 5k. There should have been a class action law suit. I mentioned it on here and got shut down right away
Old 07-23-2020, 08:15 AM   #17

I had the same problem on my 2018 30ds. There was less than 10k and after pleading my case to FR, they sent me new covers for the captains chairs, the dinette and the sofa cushions.
I took the chairs and the dinette to an upholsterer who did the work for $800, the cushions I did myself.
In the process, which took months and many emails, I ended up with an extra set of covers for the sofa in dark brown if any one would like them contact me and I will ship them
frankie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #18

To Tony M
I received an email that said you were interested in the seat covers but when I tried to reply it sent me to a website that was asking for a credit card, I’m not going to do that. If you are still interested in the seat covers please send me your email and I will reply
Thanks
frankie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:38 AM   #19

I have a 2014 30DS and we bought inexpensive covers for the two sofa cushions. My wife made covers for the dinette backs. They're ok but not professional by any means. The front seats have been a nightmare. We've tried making covers and had no luck.
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMaster View Post
I have a 2014 30DS and we bought inexpensive covers for the two sofa cushions. My wife made covers for the dinette backs. They're ok but not professional by any means. The front seats have been a nightmare. We've tried making covers and had no luck.

Here’s what I got for the two captains chairs. For the price they are adequate and much better than they were.

Classic Accessories OverDrive RV... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZBD69M...p_mob_ap_share
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote