Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2021, 06:29 PM   #1

Is this small puncture on the bottom of the main slide a big deal?

I noticed a small puncture on the bottom of the main slide on our 2021 FR3 33DS. Photos attached. Not sure if it can become a larger issue. Awaiting updates from FR3 about it as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210817_113638.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	261207   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210817_120423.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	261208  
besweeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 07:53 AM   #2

something caused that I think I would bring the slide in part way (so the floor lifts) and inspect the underside for something on the floor that might have caused that scrape. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:11 AM   #3

Based on how there is a darker "mark" that sort of tails off to the side, not in the in/out direction, it makes me think it was possible something from installation. Maybe there was something on the floor, and the slide was set down on top of it? Worth investigating to be sure, but I would lean toward "not caused by you when putting the slide out or in".

Old 08-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #4

I agree with SeaDog & SemperFi24, from the pictures it looks like manufacturer error and not your doing of in/out of slide. Stick to your guns and hold them responsible. From personal experience I worked closely with Factory FR3 warranty Rep to resolve all the issues with my 34DS. Good luck.
2020 FR3 34DS, Blue Ox Avail, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO Braking System, Tire Minder TPMS-i10-10, Lippert Friction Door Hinges, GPS Rand McNally OverDryve 7RV, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs Front & Rear, Sway Bar Front & Rear, Roadmaster Stabilizer, Soft Start both AC's, WACO AC Silencer, Frig Defender ARP Control v5.11 + 2 Fans. 2012 Cadillac SRX Luxury
USAFE7Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 03:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFE7Ret View Post
I agree with SeaDog & SemperFi24, from the pictures it looks like manufacturer error and not your doing of in/out of slide. Stick to your guns and hold them responsible. From personal experience I worked closely with Factory FR3 warranty Rep to resolve all the issues with my 34DS. Good luck.
I'll be in contact with FR3 at some point this week. Though, if the small hole doesn't hurt anything, I'd rather avoid having to deal with dealers. To be continued!
besweeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 03:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
something caused that I think I would bring the slide in part way (so the floor lifts) and inspect the underside for something on the floor that might have caused that scrape. JMHO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
Based on how there is a darker "mark" that sort of tails off to the side, not in the in/out direction, it makes me think it was possible something from installation. Maybe there was something on the floor, and the slide was set down on top of it? Worth investigating to be sure, but I would lean toward "not caused by you when putting the slide out or in".

All in agreement here. There IS or WAS something contacting under the leading edge of the slide which is or was gouging the underside of the slide.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:53 PM   #7

FR says this will be covered under warranty. The remedy is to have a plate added to the bottom. Not sure how that might affect the roller when the plate glides over it. This would be the first time doing warranty work at a dealer.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:02 PM   #8

Update: Still no servicing from a dealer, but I looked at the roller and it appears as though the back of it is scraping the slide a tad: https://i.imgur.com/RzwI6nw.jpeg.

The other seven rollers have a lot of space between the black mount and the bottom of the slide: https://i.imgur.com/y8tDakW.jpeg.
Old 04-16-2022, 12:46 PM   #9

Several months later, a dealer did warranty service and added four plates, which cover half of the eight rollers.

While the original hole has been covered, the remaining rollers that don't have a plate now have NO weight resting on them while the slide is open. You can even free spin them.

Not sure if that's a good thing. While I'd like to assume that FR has reasons for not adding plates to everything, it does render half of the rollers useless.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220416_123137.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	271613  
Old 04-16-2022, 02:11 PM   #10
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by besweeet View Post
Several months later, a dealer did warranty service and added four plates, which cover half of the eight rollers.

While the original hole has been covered, the remaining rollers that don't have a plate now have NO weight resting on them while the slide is open. You can even free spin them.

Not sure if that's a good thing. While I'd like to assume that FR has reasons for not adding plates to everything, it does render half of the rollers useless.
I agree that four plates addresses your original concern, however, all the rollers do NOT share the same positioning as I believe they should……originally OR NOW. FR reason is always cost driven.
Can you report back if all rollers are active during the movement of the slide in and out by watching from underneath as someone activates the slide button?
I still don’t think this is “as good as new”…….but that’s just my opinion.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 12:43 PM   #11

Looks like something small got caught when the slide went in or out. Doesn't look like a big deal. Perhaps smooth out the surface with a scotch-brite pad or light sandpaper.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 04:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I agree that four plates addresses your original concern, however, all the rollers do NOT share the same positioning as I believe they should……originally OR NOW. FR reason is always cost driven.
Can you report back if all rollers are active during the movement of the slide in and out by watching from underneath as someone activates the slide button?
I still don’t think this is “as good as new”…….but that’s just my opinion.
I set up camp for a few days and forgot to check. That said, I don't believe there's any contact during slide movement. The gap on the rollers that don't have plates are all the same and I don't think the slide comes down as all. But I could be wrong. I've emailed FR3 and am waiting for a response.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:05 AM   #13

Per FR, each roller should have a plate and the dealer likely messed up. More to come...
Old 05-25-2022, 03:19 PM   #14

A dealer installed four more plates so that each roller now has one.

When the slide goes out, everything seems smooth. When it comes back in, it sounds like the front of the slide rolls on top of something briefly (slight resistance from the front slide motor).

Interestingly, the plate that covers the hole in the original post now has a mark on it (photo attached...this forum software can't seem to rotate photos correctly), in roughly the same spot as the hole.

It seems as though there's something on one of the rollers underneath the floor (I assume there are some there for support purposes), making it impossible to diagnose without removing the entire slide and ripping the floor apart.

The dealer claimed they looked under the bottom of the exterior slide floor and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Prior to the plate being installed, the slide was smooth going in AND out. There was likely no resistance when coming in because whatever was there simply poked a hole through the bottom of the slide whereas now, it's running up against the solid plate.

I think I'll use everything as-is but I'll monitor the bottom of the plate. If the actual metal starts to become damaged, I'll have to go back to FR (though the first-year warranty is just about up, so I don't know if they need to get involved again).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220508_133540.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	273928  
Old 05-25-2022, 05:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by besweeet View Post
A dealer installed four more plates so that each roller now has one.

When the slide goes out, everything seems smooth. When it comes back in, it sounds like the front of the slide rolls on top of something briefly (slight resistance from the front slide motor).

Interestingly, the plate that covers the hole in the original post now has a mark on it (photo attached...this forum software can't seem to rotate photos correctly), in roughly the same spot as the hole.

It seems as though there's something on one of the rollers underneath the floor (I assume there are some there for support purposes), making it impossible to diagnose without removing the entire slide and ripping the floor apart.

The dealer claimed they looked under the bottom of the exterior slide floor and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Prior to the plate being installed, the slide was smooth going in AND out. There was likely no resistance when coming in because whatever was there simply poked a hole through the bottom of the slide whereas now, it's running up against the solid plate.

I think I'll use everything as-is but I'll monitor the bottom of the plate. If the actual metal starts to become damaged, I'll have to go back to FR (though the first-year warranty is just about up, so I don't know if they need to get involved again).
May want to get this on the record so you have something to work with post 12 months.
-Demco Air Force One
-Remco 2pc Drive Shaft w/Disconnect
-Blue-Ox Avail Tow Bar and Baseplate
NewToTheForce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:16 PM   #16

what are the "plates" made of?
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
what are the "plates" made of?
I only have the following from FR: "They are ¼ inch thick metal plate that is powder coated white."
Old 05-25-2022, 10:54 PM   #18
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by besweeet
I only have the following from FR: "They are ¼ inch thick metal plate that is powder coated white."

My FR-supplied slide ski plates are 1/8" stainless steel. I'd be surprised if yours really are 1/4".

Ray
Old 05-26-2022, 11:01 AM   #19

(Per usual, the photos are upside-down...)

Turns out the slide floor isn't like I originally thought.

Inside the RV, there are two rollers where the dinette seating is. The plate with the mark on it lines up with one of the rollers.

It's hard to get a good look at it, but the roller appears to be fine, so I'm not sure where the mark on the plate or the little bit of resistance (when retracting the slide) is coming from.

I suppose the only way to know for sure is to get one of those cheap snake inspection cameras to see what's going on when the slide is being brought back in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Roller (Left).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	273952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roller (Front).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	273953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roller (Right).jpg
Views:	42