Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #1

King bed Conversion

Has anybody converted the king bed to a queen in the FR3? I'm interested in doing this but not sure of the steps since the storage area in directly underneath. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Richard Tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tribble View Post
Has anybody converted the king bed to a queen in the FR3? I'm interested in doing this but not sure of the steps since the storage area in directly underneath. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
How much overhang is there between the platform and base?
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #3
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

The only thing I can see would be the platform. The king platform is most likely wider than a queen. You may have to do some cutting to fit. Not sure about the length since, on the queen, there is some overhang (at least 6" on our 2014 30DS). As for the storage compartment underneath, it should not come into play since the platform sits on the top part of that compartment.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:28 PM   #4

The king mattress is 73" by 79" with 24" overhang past the box portion of the overhang. My regular Queen mattress measures 60" by 79" giving me 13" inside the slideout. I would like to use that to make a walk around on the back side which right now I don't have however the under storage pass through is formed by the platform box and could only be reduced if the box, and subsequently the storage area was reduced. It would be quite a job.

I thought of turning the mattress so that the the headboard would be at the rear of the trailer however that would mean about 24" of space along the passenger side inside the slideout. There would still not be a walkaround on that side so you would have to enter from the rear or when the slide is out from the driver's side. I guess you could manufacture additional storage in that area where the headboard is now. Just not too sure.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:51 PM   #5
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Richard... Do you have a trailer or a FR3?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:49 PM   #6

Camping world sells:

Convert your short queen size mattress to a full size queen for more sleeping surface.
Short Queen Bed Extender - Carpenter 31374554776 - Bedroom Accessories - Camping World
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:02 AM   #7

I have the FR3 30DS motorhome
Old 02-19-2016, 09:35 AM   #8

In most RV's the platform is the same for queen and king. The difference is the plywood on top that holds the mattress. Most RV's you can get either a king or queen. All you have to do is cut down the plywood to match the queen mattress. We just did that in our new Silverback to give us more room to get around the bed. Oh, and it is just he sides you have to cut cause the length is the same....Notice I said most...lol so just check to make sure it's gonna look good and you can do this...
My Steelpony....2007 HD Ultra Classic...done up in a memorial to the 343 firefighters who died 9/11
Never Ever Forget....yes I was a Volunteer FF for 20 years........
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:29 AM   #9

Richard's main concern is creating a walk around on the aft side of the bed. Its possible, but it'll require some welding since that area I believe is supported by 1" square box tubing. Once you build the structure, I think it'll just require some plywood sheeting and laminate for the flooring. You'll loose the storage space, but gain the walk around. I'm not aware of anyone on the forum that has under taken that task. Good luck. I'd almost recommend trading it in on an early 2015 or 2014 model that originally came with the Queen bed. 2015 is better since it had the electric water heater and led lights...imo.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:39 PM   #10

Even an early model with a queen bed you cannot get around the back side

2014 JEEP WRANGLER WILLYS
Bobb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #11

I have an FR3 25DS. I converted king to full by removing one center board to make wood platform smaller. Then I put a full size mattress on the platform facing forward to aft. Now I can sleep in bed with slide closed if necessary.
Madelyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, king bed